Looking for Mic Recommendations...

Rate this topic

flyingpylon

I started recording sounds at motorsports events (Indy, F1, Sprint Cars, etc.) about 18 months ago using the Sony MZ-RH10 and a pair of Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2 in-ear binaurals and a SP-SPSB-1 Battery Module. I've been very happy with the combination so far, but I'd like to add a handheld mic or two to cover a few specific needs.

Size matters- I need to be able to carry any additional mics in a pocket or camera bag, so the max length should be less than six inches or so if possible. Also, if possible I'd like to spend less than around $200 total. I realize that's not a lot of money but I think it may be acceptable for my purposes.

I'm really just a beginner at all of this, so here are my needs and what I think I'm looking for, but I'm open to other suggestions as well:

1. A "whip it out" or general purpose mic. An omnidirectional mic that can record sounds in a similar manner to the in-ear binaurals but is much quicker to put into action. Sometimes things happen quickly and it takes me far too long to get the in-ear mics untangled, put into my ears with the right orientation, recording levels set, etc.

2. An "interview" mic. Something I could use at times when I can actually approach someone and ask them a few questions and have them respond. However, this would probably not happen in a controlled environment... it would most likely be outside with other noises around. Would I be looking for a cardioid mic for this purpose? Also, it would be nice if this mic could be used in a situation where someone is speaking and I am among a group of people where I'm not always able to put the mic right in the person's face.

3. Another need, maybe related to #2, is to be able to (somewhat) isolate the sound of an announcer on a PA Speaker. What I have to do right now is to make sure that I stand very close to a speaker to make sure it can be heard on the recording. It's going to be tough no matter what when cars are going by, but I guess what I'd like is to be able to do is block some surrounding sounds even when the cars are not going by, and also give myself a little more flexibility in positioning. But if possible I still want to be able to capture some of the "spacious" feeling I can get with the binaurals.

Anyone have any good recommendations? I get pretty overwhelmed when I start checking out some of the various retailer's sites out there.

Thanks,

Paul

Your needs are so specific you really should consult a microphone seller. Call up Sound Professionals and ask them about it.

The same mic capsules that Sound Pros uses for the binaurals are also in the BMC-2, and you could simply attach them to something you could whip out. That would probably be the most economical solution. You could attach a pair of those, or even their smaller binaural mics, to a pair of glasses or sunglasses and be always ready.

For 2 and 3 you definitely want cardioid. You might also want something with a more limited frequency response than the full 20-20,000 Hz--perhaps something specifically designed for voice.

The vocal mic you often see rock singers use onstage is the Shure SM58.

http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Products/Wir...SM58-CN_content

I don't know how compatible it is with the MD, though--probably needs an adaptor for the plug, and some kind of power. It's widely available at musicians' stores like Guitar Center, and you could call one of those for more advice.

The SM58 is a dynamic mic with an XLR connector so you would need an adaptor which are pretty common and pretty cheap. They are very forgiving but their frequency response, like all dynamics, have certain limitations. The SM58 is also tuned specifically to sound good with voice. They make voices sound warmer and stronger.

Most people use condensor mics with MD equipment because they provide a stronger signal and they have a better frequency response. But if you want a solid, durable mic that you can hold in your hand without creating a lot of noise then the SM58 is a good choice. They are the most popular mics in the world for live performances for singers. The SM57 is also a good choice that doesn't have the frequencies tuned to accent voice like the SM58 does.

Thank you very much for your replies and suggestions. I'll be doing some more research and some more thinking about my needs. But it definitely helps to know what some of the "standards" are out there. I still have a lot to learn. At the same time I feel that my needs are so basic that I don't want to completely over-analyze the situation.

Regarding power... would my MD player supply enough power, or what about the battery module? Everything needs to be as portable as possible, so obviously I can't lug around a mixer or anything that needs significant amounts of power.

Edit: by the way, I found a handheld mic shootout at Transom.org that is helpful. The Shure SM58 does very well, at least to my untrained ears.

http://www.transom.org/tools/recording_int...d_mic_shootout/

Edited by flyingpylon

The MS907 is a very popular mic that has probably peaked as a top performer in it's class. A few years ago everyone was suggesting it was a top choice for a small, self powered and rugged mic just abour perfect for use with MD. I bought one back during those days largely based on advice I got on this board.

Now there are other mics people suggest in the same price range and in the same size range. The AT Pro 24 is often listed as a better alternative to the Sony. There's also the MS908c which is a slightly better version of the MS907 but it's intended more for use with video cameras.

Then there's the Sound Professionals binaural microphones which are quite popular, there are single point stereo cardoid mics like the Nady CM-2S which are becoming popular and there are the ever popular Giant Squid omni's with a battery box (if you want to record loud music) or without for voice or possibly softer music. GS makes some very popular mics in different forms. They are great for stealth recording because they are so small but they still sound great. The battery boxes are also a big plus if you're looking for even better quality.

Again there is no one perfect mic for every application. It all gets back to what your intentions are. For the stuff you mention the GS's would do nice even without the battery box and they are quite cheap. If you want a mic to mount to a stand I might suggest the Nady. They are quite good for the $119 price they sell for. You might also go with the MS907. It's still a very good mic IMO even if it isn't likely the best mic for money any more. I have all 3 of these mics so I guess I must have liked them enough to buy them. I'm sure there are other good choices too. The plain fact is there are just lots of good mics being made.

I was talking about the MS907. It has a good reputation in it's price range. The MS957 really doesn't relatively. There are other $200 that are considered much better than the Sony. That's been true for quite a while. It's only been in the past couple of years that people began to think that there are better options in the price range of the MS907. I'm sure if you do a web search for the MS907 you'll find lots of people still suggesting it is one of the best buys around. I've seen them sell for around $55 at times but they usually sell for around $65. If I was going to get a good $200 stereo mic I would probably go for an Audio Technica AT822.

What I meant was that most people prefer other mics if they want to spend that much money on a mic. I don't have any personal experience with the MS957 but I do know many people think you can get a better mic with the same amount of money. There are other considerations of course and size is one of them. I wouldn't say that mic is a rip off. I just think I could get a better mic if I had $200 or so to spend.

FWIW there are a number of sound samples from different mics posted on this web site. The MS957 isn't one of the mics there but the page might help you. You can find several comments on the MS957 on that same web site if you do a search. It could be there are comments about that mic here. I'm just not familiar with them.