How to records CDs in SP?

Rate this topic

rentabau

hello guys,

i recently jump into hi-md frenzy a little while ago.bought myself an MZ-M10 and later upgraded to MZ-RH1.nice unit i must say. since the MD bug has infected me :D , i was wondering to buy another unit.an MD player only..Panasonic SJ-MJ95 which i saw in my local auction site. the thing is,i am such a noob in NetMD,MDLP.i did some research from this forum and the net..and somehow know a little bit about the SP, LP2 and LP4 format.my problem is, i don't know how to record CDs in SP. i've searched the forum but i can't seem to find how.from what i've read,converting using Sonic Stage merely creates 'fake SP' which is somewhat in LP2 quality.i also tried the MD simple burner.but the only option available for NetMD recording mode is LP2 and LP4...no SP.can anyone point out how i can create minidisc with SP inside? i would greatly appreciate for any help given. thanks :D

You can, in fact set the record-mode on the RH1 to SP. Whether or not this is true SP I am not sure.

You are correct about SonicStage SP compatibility. It isn't really SP quality. SimpleBurner doesn't even have SP as an option.

If the RH1 records in true SP natively, the only option would be to record via line/optical in from an output on your CD player if you are adamant about having a true SP recording.

Edited by raintheory

Yup, i am very particular with the sound quality.therefore,I only want true SP in the minidisc.So,I assume there's no possible way to record true SP with the computer then. The only option is doing realtime recording via optical? huh...tough luck.anyway,thanks a lot guys.really appreciate ur help

I think you are constraining yourself too much with your desire for a Panasonic (ie non-HiMD) unit as a second machine.

Having a second machine is a good idea, but I would suggest that you buy a HiMD unit as a second unit, in which case you can use Hi-SP format which most people seem to agree is sonically very good. Sonic Stage DOES transfer in this format, so that would appear to me to solve your problem.

Hope this helps ...

Edited by Mr_Bass_Man

I think you are constraining yourself too much with your desire for a Panasonic (ie non-HiMD) unit as a second machine.

Having a second machine is a good idea, but I would suggest that you buy a HiMD unit as a second unit, in which case you can use Hi-SP format which most people seem to agree is sonically very good. Sonic Stage DOES transfer in this format, so that would appear to me to solve your problem.

Hope this helps ...

thanks man. i guess you're probably right about getting a hi-md unit as a second unit.it is such a hassle to create an SP disc compared to Hi-SP disc which I can just use the Sonic Stage software itself.but hey, don't blame me..blame the MD bug that infects everyone in the forum.. :P

• 2 weeks later...

There is still a very good reason as to why buy an older generation mdlp player instead of hi-md: battery life. The few last mdlp players' battery life can kick hi-md ass to the moon and back and still have juice for more.

Anyways, i get the impression that this bitrate crippling is only software, so why hasn't anybody come up with a hack that will let us transfer true SP through net-md? I also heard that net-md LP2 is also bitrate crippled compared to real-time optical LP2. I saw a thread back that listed all the bitrates, can somebody point it out again?

Edited by Spare Tire

• 3 months later...

There is still a very good reason as to why buy an older generation mdlp player instead of hi-md: battery life. The few last mdlp players' battery life can kick hi-md ass to the moon and back and still have juice for more.

Anyways, i get the impression that this bitrate crippling is only software, so why hasn't anybody come up with a hack that will let us transfer true SP through net-md? I also heard that net-md LP2 is also bitrate crippled compared to real-time optical LP2. I saw a thread back that listed all the bitrates, can somebody point it out again?

Battery life has never been a problem for me my friend. I have an MZ-NH600, which you can pick up on the net now for around £60-£70 new, it's Hi-MD, and uses a single AA battery, and gives many hours play time. I just have a couple of rechargable batteries which I circulate, so I'm never without power. Tends to go on a single battery for about 4-5 days (playing about 4 hours + a day - I use it to and from work every day).

And the sound quality (OMO) of Hi-MD, at the max bitrate available, does surpass the old SP.

I love my old MZ-NH600, but have just ordered an MZ-RH1 cos they're so damn sexy. Expensive though. I'm gonna be eating beans for the next month. :stinker:

Edited by KanakoAndTheNumbSkulls

If you insist on that model then there is no way around it. However going to Hi-MD recorder or player only units can be beneficial. And that model you are looking at is a play only unit, it doesn't record in anything via anything. And I think it is not even Net-MD so you are kinda stuck.

In response to a previous poster's question regarding a hack for SP via PC. Not really possible as the original SP codec is non-existent on the PC to begin with.

has it been discussed why this is the case? Avoiding Dolby royalties on SP? There must be some financial reason why they don't use true SP in SonicStage. Or is it something else? I remember when ATRAC first came out, Dolby caught Sony out and made them pay royalties for their patented tech (which was breached even tho Sony insisted they developed their codec independently), so the Dolby licensing text was seen on second-gen and later units.

I can only assume it's to avoid payment of royalties of some kind on SP, which Hi-SP has side-stepped, perhaps?

has it been discussed why this is the case? Avoiding Dolby royalties on SP? There must be some financial reason why they don't use true SP in SonicStage. Or is it something else? I remember when ATRAC first came out, Dolby caught Sony out and made them pay royalties for their patented tech (which was breached even tho Sony insisted they developed their codec independently), so the Dolby licensing text was seen on second-gen and later units.

I can only assume it's to avoid payment of royalties of some kind on SP, which Hi-SP has side-stepped, perhaps?

As I understand it, they didn't just single out the old SP for exclusion on SS; in theory all the old modes were to be discontinued.

But it so happens that the old LP2/LP4 codecs have been incorporated into the lower regions of the range of Hi-MD codecs (and re-named), that's the only reason they're still there. Old SP was thought to be obsolete, given the apparantly higher quality (yet lower bitrate) top Hi-MD modes now available.

I think I got that right, but I'll stand corrected if anyone knows different and thinks I'm talking BS (which I may well be. :mellow: )

Edited by KanakoAndTheNumbSkulls

In response to a previous poster's question regarding a hack for SP via PC. Not really possible as the original SP codec is non-existent on the PC to begin with.

Are you sure about this?

It's possible to upload SP-recordings to the computer with the MZ-RH1 and I'm not so sure if the conversion is done in the recorder. Older MDLP-Recorders could also be fed with SP via SS (again I don't know if the conversion was done by the software or only in the recorder).

Roman

As I understand it, they didn't just single out the old SP for exclusion on SS; in theory all the old modes were to be discontinued.

But it so happens that the old LP2/LP4 codecs have been incorporated into the lower regions of the range of Hi-MD codecs (and re-named), that's the only reason they're still there. Old SP was thought to be obsolete, given the apparantly higher quality (yet lower bitrate) top Hi-MD modes now available.

I think I got that right, but I'll stand corrected if anyone knows different and thinks I'm talking BS (which I may well be. :mellow: )

I'm not near my PC (and SS) right now to make screenshots, but I'm 100% sure that SS as well as SB offer LP2 and LP4 (not 'renamed'; not atrac3+ ; just simple atrac3)... don't forget SS (and earlier openMG or watsitcalled) were designed before HiMD existed. NetMD just used the older MDLP formats (atrac3) but not SP (atrac). Further more atrac3+ (even the lower and comparable bitrates) is something different than atrac3 according to this:

ATRAC3plus is a new audio codec from Sony that differs substantially from ATRAC3 (ATRAC4 would in fact have been a better name). Though not used in the original Minidisc, ATRAC3plus is used in Hi-MD and Sony's solid-state and CD walkman products. It uses a transform window 4 times bigger than ATRAC3 (4096 samples, or 92ms) and splits the input into 16 sub-bands prior to the FFT (MDCT) and subsequent bit allocation processing.

so yeah, as far as I know you're talking BS :P but doing a bit of research before posting could solve that easily :lol:

sources: http://minidisc.org/mdlpfaq.html#_q61 ; http://minidisc.org/NetMD_faq.html ; http://minidisc.org/mdlpfaq.html ; and many more pages on minidisc.org, MDCF and wiki

*edit: fixed small typo

Edited by The Low Volta

• 2 weeks later...