RH-1 Battery

Rate this topic

dogville

I remember the days when MD players/recorders had awesome battery life, where'd that go?

it went together with the limitation of 80 minutes decently sounding audio on one disc...

:lol: isn't there a "minidisc users are moaners thread"? well, this thread should be linked :P we've got 90 min CD-SQ, 8 HOURS of HiSP on one disc, uploadable recordings and now even uploading of legacy stuff,... but hey ... the battery life could be better, don't you agree? :lol:

PS: sorry, these Monday mornings do make a (bigger) cynic out of me

According to my feeble understanding of battery technology, the limits are established by chemistry and size--there's only so much juice available from a given form factor and chemical mix. The engineers are always tweaking away at it, but a gumstick is going to hit a capacity ceiling. That's why so much effort goes into minimizing a unit's demands on the power source--why, for example, it takes so long for my single-AA MZ-B100 to do a data save, or why backlit displays have auto-turnoff. The easy answer (from an engieering point of view) is to build a device big enough to house more batteries, but the designers are apparently aiming at minimizing size.

Edited by Russell Letson

According to my feeble understanding of battery technology, the limits are established by chemistry and size--there's only so much juice available from a given form factor and chemical mix. The engineers are always tweaking away at it, but a gumstick is going to hit a capacity ceiling. That's why so much effort goes into minimizing a unit's demands on the power source--why, for example, it takes my single-AA MZ-B100 to do a data save, or why backlit displays have auto-turnoff. The easy answer (from an engieering point of view) is to build a device big enough to house more batteries, but the designers are apparently aiming at minimizing size.

Is it possible to rig up a alternative power supply using ordinary batteries for this unit or do people just take spare sticks with them into the field?

I bought two spare batteries off eBay from two different merchants, both from China, and have had no problem whatsoever. Total cost $30 for both.

There has been some question on this forum as to the origin of said batteries, whether or not they are genuine Sony or not. All I can say is that they work, and that I've found them to be as good as the original.

I also got some cool stamps from China. :D

I bought two spare batteries off eBay from two different merchants, both from China, and have had no problem whatsoever. Total cost $30 for both.

There has been some question on this forum as to the origin of said batteries, whether or not they are genuine Sony or not. All I can say is that they work, and that I've found them to be as good as the original.

I second that.