It Bears Repeating...

Rate this topic

deadwing

I'm about 18 months down the line on my 'stealth recording' career and this place has been an absolute godsend.

From positioning mics a few inches apart (You can't believe how sceptical I was about that at first!!)to using a battery box/line in instead of attenuator/mic in, the help advice and even hardware I've got from here has turned my recordings from 'ok' to 'wow' ('wow' is not only my description but also that of the people I've shared my recordings with!!).

Case in point I recorded a band in a club on Friday- this band always

played loud and have a real 'wall of noise' type of sound. I've recorded them 3 times before-all prior ot me getting Greenmachines battery box and some nice good quality lapel mics- and there was always some distortion and lack of clarity on those recordings. On Friday I was close up to the stage (about 10 feet) when the band started playing and they hit this really heavy chord that I thought would have sent the reocrding into severe brickwalling, but no...no sign of any distortion anywhere. In fact the whole recording sounded far better on playback than the show did 'live'!!!

What's the point of this post? Well, two fold really- partly as a thanks to all the helpful folks on here and parlty as as a help to anyone new to concert recording who reads this. My complete recording set up only cost me just over £100-ok I did get the MZ-NH1 for an absolute steal of Amazon, but the mics and battery box are giving me results I never dreamed would be possible...

..Now, if we could only come up with a device to stop people talking at gigs when they stand next to you .... :-)

Edited by deadwing

nice words there deadwing...and dead-on!

..Now, if we could only come up with a device to stop people talking at gigs when they stand next to you .... :-)

I was at a concert a few months ago next to a guy who spent about 2/3rd of the show complaining very (irritatingly) loudly to his fellows about ... the price he paid on the black market ... to get INTO THAT SHOW :huh:

I actually interrupted him and said: "hey that's nothing: I bought my ticket well in advance, really lived up to the concert and when it finally happened there was this annoying whino ruining it for everybody... will you please shove off?"... which he did ...as I was with some pretty impressive buddies :lol:

Don't you just hate that !!!

Bob

I'm not above releasing some noxious gasses (Silent But Deadlies :o ) to encourage the goons to take their chit-chat elsewhere.

I'm about 18 months down the line on my 'stealth recording' career and this place has been an absolute godsend.

From positioning mics a few inches apart (You can't believe how sceptical I was about that at first!!)to using a battery box/line in instead of attenuator/mic in, the help advice and even hardware I've got from here has turned my recordings from 'ok' to 'wow' ('wow' is not only my description but also that of the people I've shared my recordings with!!).

so dead wing what were your settings? and you didnt use an attenuator or pre-amp between the battery box and the line in? also did u bat box have bass roll-off?

and you didnt use an attenuator or pre-amp between the battery box and the line in? also did u bat box have bass roll-off?

Either attenuator through Mic-in or battery box through Line-in. Not both.

You would never use an attenuator plus a battery box.

The attenuator cuts the signal into Mic-in so the preamp doesn't overload. And because it also lessens the power going to the mic, it can also introduce a small amount of noise or make the mic distort sooner at a super-loud show. It's just the easy, cheap solution to the problem of recording louder sounds through Mic-in.

Going through Line-in, there is no preamp to overload and a stronger signal is needed, so an attenuator would be worse than useless.

A preamp into line-in would only be useful for recording very quiet sounds. Anything as loud as a concert needs only the battery box.

Bass roll-off is unnecessary through Line-in. You'll get a high-fidelity recording without it, and if for some reason you think there's too much bass, you can always use EQ afterward. But you can't restore bass if you don't record it.