RH1 not charging!

Rate this topic

Sparda

Ellen what you are describing is the result of keeping your RH1 plugged in the whole time. It is not ideal, it would be trickle charging the whole time. The battery is most likely exhausted and needs to be replaced. Remember don't charge it if you don't need to.

Thought I'd add to the suggestions and solutions on this thread by sharing my very recent experience. My MZ-RH1 is about 6 months old and used very rarely. With the ‘Low battery’ display flashing, I tried to recharge from the mains unit. Nothing - the unit kept going in to 'Data Save', "I'm switching off now" mode. Instead, I plugged the unit into my PC and got the ‘Charge’ message up. Immediately unplugged the unit from the PC and plugged back into the mains unit, and got the ‘Charging - mins left’ display. Possibly, it's some kind of firmware recalibration process that's occurring here but, hey, what I know about electronics appears to be on par with Sony Support.

Edited by yofi

• 3 months later...

I got my unit 4 months ago and have the charging problems from the second month. I always drain the battery and think it is the right way to prolong it's life. I also charge full battery each 3d-4th charging (additional 1,5-2 hours). So far the battery is OK exept the problem with 'low battery' mesage. I played with plugging/unplagging the cable for several times, but once I decided just to take out the battery and to switch the unit through adaptor and to press 'play'. During playing i reinserted the battery into the SWITCHED ON UNIT and it began to charge at once. Next time I didn't press 'play' - just inserted the battery while the unit is attached to the power connected adaptor - charging began without any problems. Since then I even don't try to switch the cable for charging, when the battery is in. One more remark - I ALWAYS remove the battery when using the unit with PC.

In short my way to salve the charging problem is:

1. Remove the battery from the unit.

2. Connect the unit to the plugged in adaptor.

3. Without turning on (better) the unit or with turned on ('play') unit insert the battery into the unit.

Charging begins. Does it help in your case?

As for my unit - bought through SonyStyle Europe, 'Chinese' version.

I got my unit 4 months ago and have the charging problems from the second month. I always drain the battery and think it is the right way to prolong it's life. [...]

All the sources I've read regarding lithium-ion batteries say the battery life will be longer with partial discharges rather than full discharges, other things being equal. Lithium-ion and lithium-ion-polymer batteries do not have a "memory" effect.

see also: http://www.buchmann.ca/chap2-page7.asp

A single "complete" discharge will destroy a lithium-ion battery, but most/all devices incorporate circuits to prevent a discharge beyond the danger point.

Be aware that a lot of USB ports on computers and hubs do not to output enough power. It seems from reading the thread that it usually when charing via USB cable to a hub/PC rather than mains that the problem occurs?

In my case it didn't matter - adaptor or PC USB. I usually use adaptor and I had "low---" problem when charging via adaptor.

Ha! I knew I wasn't crazy. Sony obviously has a problem they need to fix. Maybe they already did? Anyways, since someone dug up this thread thought I might as well contribute to it. Mind you I haven't had the charging problem since I last posted, or maybe even before that. I think it just needs to go through a couple charge and discharge cycles to get the battery up and running. Try leaving the remote connected, that worked for me for some weird reason.

• 4 weeks later...

Before I come across as inept, please forgive me if I missed something on this elsewhere. Can someone please explain the difference between 80% charged and fully charged? The RH1 manual is not clear to me: when the 'charging/remaining time' goes out after an hour, this means 80%, right? To fully 100% charge, you then leave it plugged in for another 1hr or 2hrs (?) while the display remains off/blank, right? Is there a fully/partial charge indicator somewhere on the unit?

Before I come across as inept, please forgive me if I missed something on this elsewhere. Can someone please explain the difference between 80% charged and fully charged? The RH1 manual is not clear to me: when the 'charging/remaining time' goes out after an hour, this means 80%, right? To fully 100% charge, you then leave it plugged in for another 1hr or 2hrs (?) while the display remains off/blank, right? Is there a fully/partial charge indicator somewhere on the unit?

yes just leave it plugged in for awhile longer , no charge indication after the light goes out . Odd isnt it , It think maybe Sony did that as a way to prevent overcharging . Lithiums reaalllly dont like to be overcharged . It kills them .

generally I will leave the RH1 on the charge about an hour after the light goes out , but not more than.

yes just leave it plugged in for awhile longer , no charge indication after the light goes out . Odd isnt it , It think maybe Sony did that as a way to prevent overcharging . Lithiums reaalllly dont like to be overcharged . It kills them .

generally I will leave the RH1 on the charge about an hour after the light goes out , but not more than.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you!

Hi I got similar questions. By "the light goes out" you mean the batter light goes out right?

A lot of the times I plug it into my computer and for about 5 minutes, the battery would indicate that it is charging,

however 5 minutes later it would disappear. It is very weird. Is it supposed to be like this? and I need to leave it plugged in for another 2 hours?

thanks

Guitarfxr, hmm..contrary to what I've read, lithium batteries do not like full discharges and may never recover from a 100% discharge. But they like to be topped up frequently and kept at 80-100% charge as often as possible ... so your statement about overcharging has made me confused again.

Guitarfxr, hmm..contrary to what I've read, lithium batteries do not like full discharges and may never recover from a 100% discharge. But they like to be topped up frequently and kept at 80-100% charge as often as possible ... so your statement about overcharging has made me confused again.

Actually Lithiums , for storing them you want them at about 40 % and put them away , the self leakage is slower than NMHD but it is there . At full charge if you store them topped off it accelerates the discharge.

For daily use yes top off but not OVER Charge , again OVER Charging is bad for any battery . But especially lithiums .

Over charge them a few times they will stop taking a charge altogether

How do you overcharge? Isnt there a circuit somewhere which switches the charging off once the battery is 100% full... similar to laptop batteries?

by leaving it comstantly plugged in , an not using it , if you read the manual ,about battery charging you will see that they tell you to leave it plugged in for an extra hour to top it off, that means it goes into trickle mode which is a constant charge . but a low amperage

by leaving it comstantly plugged in , an not using it , if you read the manual ,about battery charging you will see that they tell you to leave it plugged in for an extra hour to top it off, that means it goes into trickle mode which is a constant charge . but a low amperage

So far I'm very disappointed with the amount of power supplied before re-charging is needed. A few hours and it's empty. So I bought a couple of extras. How long should they last in storage? What is the shelf life duration for these batteries?

• 2 months later...

Hello all out there,

sorry for bringing this topic up again, but from the beginning that I got my RH-1, I had exactly the charge problem described here.

I never use the remote control on my unit. Maybe that's the cause.

Luckily, I also own a NH1, so I regularly use the docking station to charge both of my battery packs. But it's really driving me crazy.

No news on that?? :scratchhead:

Hello all out there,

sorry for bringing this topic up again, but from the beginning that I got my RH-1, I had exactly the charge problem described here.

I never use the remote control on my unit. Maybe that's the cause.

Luckily, I also own a NH1, so I regularly use the docking station to charge both of my battery packs. But it's really driving me crazy.

No news on that?? :scratchhead:

I use the unplug-take battery out-plug in-put back the battery. It always work for me when it doesn't want to be charged.

I use the unplug-take battery out-plug in-put back the battery. It always work for me when it doesn't want to be charged.

Just like I described a few topics ago. Still use this method sometimes, but the battery seems to get less picky. However some hardware problem must be present.