First time user MZRH, help needed transfering file

Rate this topic

Joy

Hi,

I spent the weekend getting to know this little device. I borrowed a sanken lavalier cos-11 mic and it's Beachtek DX-A4 unit and read a book to the minidisc to test the sound levels. The AVL was turned off, recording in PCM and low mic sens.

I didn't really get to grips with 'mic level' and I could not get a good volume. I was monitoring it through sony's mdr-7506 headphones. When I turned it to high mic sens I got good volume but more ambient noise.

Now the immediate problem is that after connecting it to the pc and opening sonic stage v4, it tells me that the file is write protected and cannot be imported. I took the disc out and checked it, it's not physically write protected so what can this error mean?

The sonic stage disk I received with the unit is still in it's packet, I already had v4 on the pc from a download, and had used it with an md minidisc. Should I be using the other version? I notice that I have not got the controls neccessary to alter the import style.

Hi,

I spent the weekend getting to know this little device. I borrowed a sanken lavalier cos-11 mic and it's Beachtek DX-A4 unit and read a book to the minidisc to test the sound levels. The AVL was turned off, recording in PCM and low mic sens.

I didn't really get to grips with 'mic level' and I could not get a good volume. I was monitoring it through sony's mdr-7506 headphones. When I turned it to high mic sens I got good volume but more ambient noise.

Now the immediate problem is that after connecting it to the pc and opening sonic stage v4, it tells me that the file is write protected and cannot be imported. I took the disc out and checked it, it's not physically write protected so what can this error mean?

The sonic stage disk I received with the unit is still in it's packet, I already had v4 on the pc from a download, and had used it with an md minidisc. Should I be using the other version? I notice that I have not got the controls neccessary to alter the import style.

you are sure you are recording in pcm mode if you are not are using ned md mode you cannot upload anything? just double check. what is the bitrate of the recorded file?

Arre you using the RH1 or RH10? (or RH910 for that matter)

The newest model, I didn't realise that I'd left off the end letters, it's the MZRH1B

you are sure you are recording in pcm mode if you are not are using ned md mode you cannot upload anything? just double check. what is the bitrate of the recorded file?

Thanks for your reply, it's going now. I took out the 1gig disc I was using and moved that little tab backwards and forwards a few times and now I can upload. How would I find the bitrate? I see that 64 is the set rate, why would I change this?

Please see attatched file

post-44821-1162931417_thumb.jpg

The newest model, I didn't realise that I'd left off the end letters, it's the MZRH1B

Thanks for your reply, it's going now. I took out the 1gig disc I was using and moved that little tab backwards and forwards a few times and now I can upload. How would I find the bitrate? I see that 64 is the set rate, why would I change this?

Please see attatched file

You can change the bitrate to accommodate different types of recordings, and the quality of them. For example: a recording of a vocal lecture for later review or transcription to written notes doesn't need a high bitrate, so HiLP 64kbs would probably suffice. Also, the disc can hold a longer recording. Longer than the life of a fully charged battery in the RH1. Three times longer, in fact.

It is always best to record at the highest bitrate possible under the circumstances available to you. Start at the top and work down. Extra batteries or a power source will extend the recording time, as well as additional discs. Keep that in mind when setting up a recording outing. I have a kit that I take with me that has my microphone, attenuators, batteries, and spare discs that fits in medium sized jacket pocket.

As far as the settings for live recording go, spend some time in the Live Recording section of the forum, and read what other people have discovered about recording with the MiniDisc. There is simply no way to learn without experience, and these people can guide you in the right direction for a myriad of recording applications.

ps. The bitrate settings are in <menu> <REC settings> <REC mode> on the unit. The ones in the menu are for transfer FROM the computer. Be sure to set to leave bitrate as is in the preferences in SS, or your bitrates will be changed upon uploading your recording. I opt for the WAV conversion as well.

Edited by milomind

As milomind says, everybody does it differently.

First, in SonicStage, what he means is that under Tools/Options/Transfer/Hi-MD/Transfer Settings you should check (or leave checked) Standard Transfer Mode, Transfer file "as is." That means that whatever is on your disc is uploaded in the same format you recorded it in. It's the default setting unless you accidentally changed it.

The more complicated the signal, the higher the bitrate you should use. Voice is a simple signal; music is much more complex, with a wider frequency and dynamic range and a lot more subtleties. It needs a lot more digital information--a higher bitrate--to be reproduced accurately.

I do most of my recording in Hi-SP, since I am mostly recording live music. If a disc held longer than 90 minutes, I would probably use PCM, but I don't want to be changing discs in the middle of a concert. And Hi-SP sounds good enough to me.

For recording just voice, I'd be happy with Hi-LP unless it was for broadcast or something like that.

Unlike milomind, I prefer to upload first and then convert to .wav only the files I'm sure I want. For one thing, uploading and converting at the same time doesn't always work--SonicStage occasionally says "can't convert," when it actually will convert the files if you do it separately. For another, .wav files take up a lot of hard drive space.

And hey, milomind, I was a major proponent of the attenuator, but now that I've got a tiny battery module (Mic Madness Classic Mini), I prefer that. If you're doing a lot of live loud recording, you should definitely try it.

http://www.microphonemadness.com/products/mmcbmminminc.htm

Edited by A440

And hey, milomind, I was a major proponent of the attenuator, but now that I've got a tiny battery module (Mic Madness Classic Mini), I prefer that. If you're doing a lot of live loud recording, you should definitely try it.

I will definitely check that out. I'm gonna google it right now.

Thanks for clarifying for Joy. I'm on my Mac right now, and couldn't check the menus in SS.

I have a kit that I take with me that has my microphone, attenuators, batteries, and spare discs that fits in medium sized jacket pocket.

Thanks Milo,

I'd be interested in knowing more about your setup, the system I'm thinking of buying would not fit in a pocket, it would need a little case. I remember reading that I can do without carrying around the remote when going on field trips, is this right? That would be one less thing to think about.

Just one more thing, REC LEVEL. I haven't found this yet with any confidence, I once came across it by mistake, thats not very professional is it. Where is it?

Also most of the frequently asked questions can be answered by reading the manual that comes with the RH1. If not i like to fiddle around with it and get comfortable with it, to me this is the best way to go, trial and error, you learn a lot too. Anyways happy listening or recording with your RH1.

Also most of the frequently asked questions can be answered by reading the manual that comes with the RH1. If not i like to fiddle around with it and get comfortable with it, to me this is the best way to go, trial and error, you learn a lot too. Anyways happy listening or recording with your RH1.

I've been challenged by so much new tech learning just lately that with the minidisc I asked my teenage son to get to know it so that he could show me. It took him 5mins to get me up and running. Oh to be young again. I've been studying network operating systems, adobe photoshop (he's teaching me that too) and audio in general, (I found a great site for that, http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/location_sound.html) and this old brain quaked at the thought of the manual. Instead I read and reread,

http://www.mdcenter.nl/artikelen/mzrh1/index_en.php

Thanks for all your help on this site. I'll be a lot more relaxed and happy with this beautiful device soon I'm sure.

Most of the important settings on the RH1 are under Menu--you have to hold down the button.

REC LEVEL is under REC Set. For voice recording, I would leave it on AGC. For music, Manual Volume will give you much better results, but you have to make sure that the level is low enough so that it doesn't overload.