Question for NH900 owners

Rate this topic

butchc

Are there any MZ-NH900 owners out there that can answer a quick question for me? If you run your finger over the bottom of the unit in the area where the sticker is with the model number, battery specs etc, can you feel a small, raised, circular bump?

The reason I ask is that I have an NH900 that has been playing up, and when I lodged it for a warranty repair at a Sony service center today, the person at the desk pointed out the small raised bump on the bottom of mine and said that it's likely to be rejected as a warranty repair because this bump indicates that the unit has probably been mistreated! :( The lady made a point of mentioning this bump on the warranty form. I had never even noticed this raised area before - it's not very noticable unless you're looking for it. I'm sure I've never mistreated my unit - it hasn't been used much, and always lives in a padded case.

I also happen to have another identical MZ-NH900 which I bought as a backup. This one has seen very little use, and it's also got exactly the same small, very slightly raised circular bump in the back - not really noticeable until I run my fingers over it. This makes me think that this is a standard feature on these units, but I'd love to know if other people with this unit are able to feel this same "bump".

Hopefully my warranty claim will be accepted, but if not it'd be nice to have some evidence to support my view that this very subtle "bump" is not evidence of mistreatment!

Thanks all.

Are there any MZ-NH900 owners out there that can answer a quick question for me? If you run your finger over the bottom of the unit in the area where the sticker is with the model number, battery specs etc, can you feel a small, raised, circular bump?

I don't know whether this helps but I have a small circular depression on mine. It wasn't really visible until I started rubbing the label with my thumbnail, but now it's quite clear.

It's about half way down the label and about one third in from the left.

HTH

Edited by Hungerdunger

LOL! You have to buy more MZ-NH900 as a backup. Some 20 of them will be enough i think.

Yes, I can see the funny side of that :D . Still I'm glad to have my "backup" now, and was very glad to have it on the weekend when I needed it to record a gig I played.

I don't know whether this helps but I have a small circular depression on mine. It wasn't really visible until I started rubbing the label with my thumbnail, but now it's quite clear.

HTH

Interesting. Thanks for the info anyway.

My NH900 label is totally flat with no lumps nor bumps. :huh:

(Bought in the UK)

Although if I try real hard I think there is something such as a screw head where Hungerdunger describes. Hard to feel it though.

I can confirm that there is a "bump" under the label on the back of my NH900 (bought in Germany). It is clearly detectable by moving the fingertips over it and even faintly visible under certain light conditions. I think, it is indeed caused by a screw head hidden under the label.

By the way, I treat my MD recorders extremely carefully ;).

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think they confirm that having a small "bump" (or even a depression) under the label on a NH900 isn't necessarily evidence of an abused/mistreated unit!

I'm told it could be a couple of weeks before I hear back from Sony as to whether they will repair my unit under warranty or not. Hopefully the techs that look at the unit won't have the same view of the "bump" as the lady who checked my unit in!

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think they confirm that having a small "bump" (or even a depression) under the label on a NH900 isn't necessarily evidence of an abused/mistreated unit!

I'm told it could be a couple of weeks before I hear back from Sony as to whether they will repair my unit under warranty or not. Hopefully the techs that look at the unit won't have the same view of the "bump" as the lady who checked my unit in!

what's wrong with it exactly? does it still record?

what's wrong with it exactly? does it still record?

It plays and records fine in the first part of a disc, but there are frequent gaps of several seconds in the sound when playing the last 30% or so of a disc. The timer display continues to tick over, but the sound drops out. At first I thought I had a problem disc, but I tried other discs with the same results. Other people have reported the same problem on this board with the MZ-NH900.

I think the gap problem affects both recording and playback, because I had the gap problem on my 2nd unit when I used a disc recorded on the one that has the problem.