Sony MYLO registers as ATRAC device & plays OMA

Rate this topic

himd_user

FYI,

I have a new sony MYLO (music/video device) to evaluate and when I plug it into the PC via USB, Sonicstage will automatically start up. And, Sonicstage recognizes it as "ATRAC Audio Device" & wants to register it as a device for transfer of DRM content. I am using Sonicstage 3.1.

I've just transferred a recording I made with my MZ-NH1 in LP4 mode (64kb/s) and sonicstage copies this to MYLO to the MYLO internal flash as the file:

F:\OMGAUDIO\10F00\10000001.OMA

When MYLO is unplugged via USB it shows "Updating database" on the screen (probably looking for new/modified media).

I can play this track on the MYLO just fine. The MYLO player shows the original filename, and "Transferred from Hi-MD" (song title) and also shows "ATRAC 64kbps" and "AtracAD".

Edited by himd_user

Cool. I've actually been giving the MYLO careful consideration for a purchase. How do you like it?

It's fun but it's useless. If you want mp3 player, get a cheaper flash mp3 player. If you want pocket video, maybe get an ipod(more video selection/integration with itunes) or PSP (adds great gaming). If you want pocket web surfing, forget it, it doesnt exist yet on any device (screen size still too small for web surfing and flash player is not supported so youtube, etc, wont be visible).

So what exactly is it good for that is unique? It is 100% A+ good for skype wifi voice calls and instant messaging. But there's specific products for that purpose too that are better (skype wifi handset / cell phone dual mode, or PDA + YIM/AIM/etc).

The engineering quality of the MYLO is great. Really solid engineering, great sound, great video (bad video codec compatibility, however). For $$/usefulness though, it's a toy. If you're into buying expensive electronic toys, it's fun.

Seperately from audio, I've been attempting to encode video for the MYLO. Sony has a very strange/cryptic/specific format for video encoding and file naming, though, which does not make it easy - so for pocket video with "quick download, drag, drop, and view", think again, it won't work.

Edited by himd_user

I was debating whether to get this Mylo prior to purchasing the MZ-RH1 and I'm sure glad that I stick with MD since restriction isn't as bad. This Mylo thing is like another gadget that unfortunately will eventually become another flop by Sony or maybe not. Will have to see what the outcome in a couple of months or so.