Hi-MD on old deck

Rate this topic

StephenS

No. The JE510 can't even do MDLP. I'm amazed at how often this question comes up really. "Can this MD unit made in 1997 use Hi-MD discs [that weren't even invented until 2004]?" LOL.

Well what you could do would be to use standard MDs and MD-mode on the RH10. But I don't think the RH10 can stand-alone record in MD mode as it's 2nd Gen Hi-MD. So you'd have to go through SS. But then you can't do "true SP" transfers over USB anyway, and the JE510 doesn't support MDLP (as mentioned). So in other words to get a disc to work, you'd end up with quality less than LP2 (ATRAC3 @ 132kbps) and only 80mins of capacity. Not worth going to the trouble for at all.

No. The JE510 can't even do MDLP... Not worth going to the trouble for at all.

Well, I dunno. Using the JE510 for making great-sounding SP discs for playback on his RH10 sounds like a good plan to me. It'll save wear to the RH10. That's if 80mins per disc is fine for him, though.

No. The JE510 can't even do MDLP. I'm amazed at how often this question comes up really. "Can this MD unit made in 1997 use Hi-MD discs [that weren't even invented until 2004]?" LOL.

Well what you could do would be to use standard MDs and MD-mode on the RH10. But I don't think the RH10 can stand-alone record in MD mode as it's 2nd Gen Hi-MD. So you'd have to go through SS. But then you can't do "true SP" transfers over USB anyway, and the JE510 doesn't support MDLP (as mentioned). So in other words to get a disc to work, you'd end up with quality less than LP2 (ATRAC3 @ 132kbps) and only 80mins of capacity. Not worth going to the trouble for at all.

Not to mention the JE510's notorious and nasty "self-turn-on" bug. I got bit by that one. I thought the 510 was a decent-sounding SP deck, but after thr thing imploded on me due to the aforementioned problem, you couldn't even give me one.

• 2 weeks later...