Problem creating ATRAC CDs

Rate this topic

Philbiker

I've had a problem creating ATRAC CDs since version 4, I don't think I've created a successful ATRAC CD for my MD-walkman once on version 4+ of Sonic Stage.

I've created many successful ATRAC CDs using every version since version 1.

It gets to a point where the software infinite loops, the message going from "Transferring" to "Song Name" and a percent. It loops forever. Any hints? Are there any ways to download and install previous versions? I really like ATRAC CDs (I've been using the ATRAC brand in MD since the mid-90s) and don't want to go backwards to MP3. Sony online tech support is of no help.

Back up your library before changing anything, with the Backup Tool under Program Files/SonicStage.

Then you can try uninstalling your current version--look at Software FAQ to do it thoroughly:

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=8071

And use this to install 3.4 .

http://www.savefile.com/files/194995

I don't know if it will help or not.

Edited by A440

I've had a problem creating ATRAC CDs since version 4, I don't think I've created a successful ATRAC CD for my MD-walkman once on version 4+ of Sonic Stage.

I've created many successful ATRAC CDs using every version since version 1.

It gets to a point where the software infinite loops, the message going from "Transferring" to "Song Name" and a percent. It loops forever. Any hints? Are there any ways to download and install previous versions? I really like ATRAC CDs (I've been using the ATRAC brand in MD since the mid-90s) and don't want to go backwards to MP3. Sony online tech support is of no help.

I've had partial success with the latest 4.2 version of SonicStage. It hangs at 69% about half the time I use it. When it does, I simply reboot and try again, with the same blank CD. It usually writes to the CD at the second attempt. With 4.0, I was unable to create any ATRAC CDs at all, no matter what I did.

I suspect that the process fails after all the tracks have been converted, but prior to the actual writing of the CD.

If you haven't tried SonicStage 4.2, give it a shot. It should be possible to locate an earlier version of SonicStage (probably from an install CD) and use that, as long as you back up any ATRAC files that you want to keep. The 3.4 version of SonicStage seems to have been removed from the downloads section of Minidisc.org.

This is certainly a problem that Sony should address, and why they haven't, I don't know.

I've had partial success with the latest 4.2 version of SonicStage. It hangs at 69% about half the time I use it. When it does, I simply reboot and try again, with the same blank CD. It usually writes to the CD at the second attempt. With 4.0, I was unable to create any ATRAC CDs at all, no matter what I did.

Yes, 69% is the point when the actual CD write is supposed to take place. I think there is a little delay at this point, even when the program is working correctly (not sure why), so be sure to wait a couple minutes to make sure that the program is really stuck before giving up. On the upside, since the CD write hasn't started yet, you can still use the blank CD for another try. I was never able to get SS 4.0 to make an ATRAC CD. Version 3.4 works fine for me; I've never installed 4.2.

Good luck.

Then you can try uninstalling your current version--look at Software FAQ to do it thoroughly:

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=8071

And use this to install 3.4 .

http://www.savefile.com/files/194995

I don't know if it will help or not.

Thanks so much! It can't hurt. All the installations of 3 that I've found on the net "phone home" and install 4.2. SO FRUSTRATING! I've got something like 30 ATRAC CDs and I really like the format - sounds as good as MP3 at half the bitrate! Why would they sabotage it? Here and elsewhere it's apparent that there are MAJOR problems writing ATRAC CDs with Sonic Stage 4.x.

I've reverted to Simple Burner 1.0 that came with my CD player.

Three years ago when I got this ATRAC player I was using a slower computer with slower CD audio reading from a slower drive and a less robust OS. SB 1.0 works much faster and better than I remember! I'm thinking of just sticking with it. The nice thing is that it can sit on the PC with newer versions of Sonic Stage.

I've been using MD since the mid-90s. Love it. The ATRAC brand is why I got this CD player.

I don't keep anything in my library so there's nothing to back up. I don't listen to music on the computer. I only use Sonic Stage for burning ATRAC CD's, using my own CD collection as the source. That's why Simple Burner works for me now.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Edited by Philbiker

This is certainly a problem that Sony should address, and why they haven't, I don't know.

Apparently their online tech support doesn't know anything about this. They are completely worthless. The last time I tried to chat with them regarding this issue the guy on the chat actually told me to try another computer. Right. Another cmoputer. Sounds like that would still have the same problem. A google search finds at least one other place on the net where someone has reported this issue. Sony are idiots. Too bad for me I like their compression schemes enough to put up with their crap.

• 2 weeks later...

Some more information about SS4.0-4.2 failing to burn ATRAC CDs. Leaving the computer to its own devices for 20-30 minutes, then closing SS I'm now getting an error message"cannot transfer track 'Untitled'" after the progress counter reaches 69%. There are no untitled tracks present in my library, could this be a pointer?

I'm due to take delivery of an MZ-RH1 in the next week but have had to downgrade back to an off-line full install of SS3.4 (courtesey of yourselves) will this version function with the MZ-RH1

Anxious of Wales .... :unsure: