Rate this topic

Rogmur

Greetings Forum Members

I just wanted to know if any other Forum Member

has experienced reliability problems with their

Hi-MD Player/Recorder.

Sadly, and fairly recently my MZ NH-700 packed up

with out any warning.

Were the first generation Hi-MD Players unreliable?

What newer Hi-MD player/Recorder should I consider as

a replacement??

I would be very grateful for any advice.

Kind regards

Rogmur :(

The only problem I've had with a first geneation was self induced, other than tht my 2 NH-1's have been faultless. My next will be an RH-1, I'd skip the 2nd gen altogether if I were me, If I were you I'd try for another 700 or 800, or save a bit and go to an RH-1.

BTW what happened to the 700, a repair shop may be able to get you going cheaply

Take care,

Bob

I would say the first generation is extremely sturdy.

About a year after I got my NHF800, the Australian closeouts on the NH700 began and I bought one, figuring I would have another unit if anything happened to my NHF800. Since then, I have used the NHF800 for music recording 3-4 nights a week as well as speech recording. I have dropped it on hard floors. I've carried it in my pocket and my car as a player. I have worn off the lettering on most of the buttons. And the thing keeps going. The NH700 is still in mint condition because I haven't needed it yet.

I fully agree with BobT. The second generation units before the RH1 seem like cost-cutters rather than improvements. Snap up another NH700 if you're on a budget.

Many thanks

to you all for your helpful advice,

(regarding a replacement for my defunct MZ NH700).

I had thought about buying the NH 710, but perhaps

the RH-1 would be a safer bet.

Happy Christmas to all Forum members

Kindest regards

rogmur

Edited by Rogmur

I have 2yr old NH700 which I bought 2nd hand, and I've had no problems with, and I've not been that careful with it, but its still as new. Which is surprising as with its plastic construction I thought it would have broken by now. Unless I got a 1/2nd gen unit very cheap I think I'd just go with a new RH1 myself. But if I got a good deal on another unit I'd be happy to get one, just as a back up.

Were the first generation Hi-MD Players unreliable?

I am finding my NH-900 to be unreliable under certain known circumstances. When doing a single recording operation to 80 min MD media in Hi-LP mode, and reaching the full disc capacity, frequently all recorded data are lost. :( I think this is probably some flaw in the firmware.

What newer Hi-MD player/Recorder should I consider as

a replacement??

Personally, I would buy another! (if you can find them)

Just curious if you dropped it

Left it in the sun/cold?

Played dusty discs in there (particularly dust on the shutter section of the disc)?

Mistreated it in any way?

My 2yo MZ-NH700 is still going good (aside from the classy silver paint peeling off so elegantly (ehm...)