Hacks for RH1?

Rate this topic

Sparda

I think irrespecitve of the region code held in the MD unit itself the ability to display Kanji on the RH1, is determined solely by the remote. The unit itself can't display Kanji and the fact that the RM-MC35ELK can is based on the higher resolution screen on the remote. (It has more pixels than the 38EL allowing it to display double-byte characters).

The RH1 already has so many great features right out of the box. What else could we possibly want from this machine? I can't even think of anything that could be reasonably achieved through a firmware / service mode hack, although Kanji character display was a good idea. Line Out is already there. EQ and Surround Sound modes are already there. Maybe we could uncover a way to make the RH1 drive our cars or give us weather forecasts. :rolleyes:

Hey, maybe a hack could unlock a radio tuner, but I bet we'd know that from the technical specifications by now.

Using ELK remote does not automatically allow kanji display. On some units, there is also a region setting in service mode, like the RH10/DH10P (dunno if the RH1 has a service mode or not). Another reason why I got the JP version of RH1, in fear that Sony USA disable kanji capability on the US version (just like they did on US version of the D-NE20, you cannot display kanji at all, even if you use ELK remotes).

:wacko: whats with Sony or who ever, with all these restrictions namely regional settings... why not let everyone have the same features. Although I'm not sure but surely regional settings can be defeated through service mode, although it is mentioned amny times in the service manual... it doesn't quite say how to get there. I think they did that on purpose, or am I just looking at the wrong places? Also I've found a interesting "feature", there is a diagnosis in the service mode that tells you where your recording failed or had an error thus somewhat helping you determine what went wrong, this can be found in the service manual. Anyways I've want nothing more out of my already the best portable DAP in the whole damned planet, other then title display on the main unit in at least English. ^_^

Using ELK remote does not automatically allow kanji display.

Yes, but using an EL remote will not allow Kanji/Kana, no matter what the unit is, the unit's region settings, or if it has Satanic origins. The point is that if your unit IS capable of displaying Kanji/Kana, then you will need a remote with a "K" in its name in order to do so.

Yes, but using an EL remote will not allow Kanji/Kana, no matter what the unit is, the unit's region settings, or if it has Satanic origins. The point is that if your unit IS capable of displaying Kanji/Kana, then you will need a remote with a "K" in its name in order to do so.

:lol: Indeed - that was why I also said

the ability to display Kanji on the RH1, is determined solely by the remote.
- (emphasis added). ;)

And then you have to deal with Sonicstage, registry edits, and applocale to properly write the kanji titles to the MD/HiMD. The fact that SS now requires applocale to display kanji properly also exclude win2k (and below) users, since applocale is only available on winXP.

Yes, but using an EL remote will not allow Kanji/Kana,

:rolleyes: Did I say EL remotes can display kanji? Nope.

:rolleyes: Did I say EL remotes can display kanji? Nope.

No, you didn't but your sentence

Using ELK remote does not automatically allow kanji display.

is misleading. So, I had to clarify your somewhat misinformation in case a newbie stumbles across this post. See Richy's explanation, Pita2001.

As a little addition, setting the balance for phones output would be nice.

Also, burning new fonts instead of defaults via firmware upgrade would be cool to.

The RH1 already has so many great features right out of the box. What else could we possibly want from this machine? I can't even think of anything that could be reasonably achieved through a firmware / service mode hack, although Kanji character display was a good idea. Line Out is already there. EQ and Surround Sound modes are already there. Maybe we could uncover a way to make the RH1 drive our cars or give us weather forecasts. :rolleyes:

Hey, maybe a hack could unlock a radio tuner, but I bet we'd know that from the technical specifications by now.

It would be nice if you could set the EQ on the RH1 itself rather than through the remote only- I prefer not to use the remote, the theory being the less number of components between the RH1 and headphones the better- slight loss in sound quality caused by the remote.

Also if shuffle can be set on the unit itself instead of relying on the remote and maybe the sound setting as well, since I use Dynamic Normalizer normally.

Just curious, kanji capable hardware can also support Chinese character display right?

So, no help from the fanboys? :closedeyes:

The only HiMD unit that I know of that can display Chinese properly on its screen is the DH10P (with proper changes in service mode). ELK remotes are designed to display Japanese kanji only (except maybe the 55ELK, but not many people has it/tested it, and it is designed for Sony PCDP). They could still display some Chinese kanji IF there are proper Japanese kanji equivalent for them. Other thant that, it will display the characters as a dot or ?. I have set my DH10P to display chinese perfectly on its own screen, but it won't work with my 40ELK anymore (all characters are displayed as dots).