Has anyone tried the Macally IP-A481 with the RH1?

Rate this topic

boojum

Hi -

The list price for a new Lithium Ion battery is US$10 higher than this remote source (Macally IP-A481) which is also Lithium Ion and more powerful. These are the Minidisco prices. Seems a no-brainer to me. And it is USB charged, too, so that problem is eliminated: losing the charger. Has anyone had experience with this unit??

B)

I ordered the Macally IP-A481 and it is "in the mail" arriving here around the 29th. I recorded about two hours on the LIon battery alone last night at PCM and it went well. No problemo. But I do like the idea of the back-up of a large power source. I will let you know, all of you, when the Macally arrives and how it works. It is only a battery so I guess it will work just fine. BTW, it is way cheaper than a LIon battery from SONY. The SONY marketing department seems to be staffed by ninnies and fools. B)

I ordered the Macally IP-A481 and it is "in the mail" arriving here around the 29th. I recorded about two hours on the LIon battery alone last night at PCM and it went well. No problemo. But I do like the idea of the back-up of a large power source. I will let you know, all of you, when the Macally arrives and how it works. It is only a battery so I guess it will work just fine. BTW, it is way cheaper than a LIon battery from SONY. The SONY marketing department seems to be staffed by ninnies and fools. B)

Marck from MDCenter NL has written an article about pairing the IP-A481 with the RH1. Unfortunately it is only in Dutch at the moment, but you can check out the pics here: http://www.mdcenter.nl/redirect.php?file=h...macally_ipa481/

Marck from MDCenter NL has written an article about pairing the IP-A481 with the RH1. Unfortunately it is only in Dutch at the moment, but you can check out the pics here: http://www.mdcenter.nl/redirect.php?file=h...macally_ipa481/

My Dutch is quite limited. Actually all I can say applies here: kan nit verstan!

My IP-A481 arrived today with a small scratch across the top. No big deal. I am charging it now. I was going to put together an article about how long it plays with the IP-481 alone and with the LIon battery together but our Dutch friend has beaten me. I do not think I will be needing that much power to record with, but, I will never be worried I will run out of juice, either. And, look how much power you get for about half the price of the SONY proprietary LIon battery. Kind of a no-brainer. Oh, the US packaging is different.

Cheers B)

My Dutch is quite limited. Actually all I can say applies here: kan nit verstan!

My IP-A481 arrived today with a small scratch across the top. No big deal. I am charging it now. I was going to put together an article about how long it plays with the IP-481 alone and with the LIon battery together but our Dutch friend has beaten me. I do not think I will be needing that much power to record with, but, I will never be worried I will run out of juice, either. And, look how much power you get for about half the price of the SONY proprietary LIon battery. Kind of a no-brainer. Oh, the US packaging is different.

Cheers B)

The recording/playback times we put on the site are actually calculated from some tests we did. We did not have the time to actually do an accurate test over the times required to drain the batterypack in e.g. mp3-playback-mode. The real test we did was recording PCM modus and it really got quite annoying to come back to the batterypack over and over again to format the disc because it was full without seeing any improvement in emptying the batterypack. Finally after recording about 20 Hi-MD discs the batterypack finally went dead B)

Another nice use for the batterypack is when during commuting the RH1s battery goes dead, you connect the RH1 to the batterypack. But it in your bagage, forget about it and after about an hour you get yourself a freshly charged RH1 (without ever touching a computer or plugging it into the wall somewhere).

Re charging: I can charge the IP-A481 with the SONY charger for the RH1, but it does not show me the blinking green light that I get by charging it to full on the USB port. I does show the three green LED's when I push the "check" button to indicate it is charged.

It seems to offer a lot more than the standard gumstick LIon from SONY for about half the price. B)

Update: OK, it does charge fully and eventually the blinking green "I am fully charged" light comes on when plugged into the SONY RH1 charger.

Edited by boojum