Questions from a new RH1 owner

Rate this topic

exe

I did finally order the masterpiece today and I did first try to find some answers to this questions in the forum...

- Should I first update the included programs???

Yes, I would normally do that BUT newer programs have sometimes BIG limitations and not only improvements!!

- Are there any smart tricks, that might improve me experience with my delicate RH1 in any way???

I will in first hand do backups on my old MD recordings - that only is sorted with titles, beginning with a number according to my grade of the track... And then move the old recordings to HiMD wish raise following questions...

- Have you "golden ears" and can't anyhow hear any difference between an original MD recording and a copy / transfer to HiMD LP when you only listen to the music??? When you listen carefully and not just as background entertainment... Or if you actually can hear a difference... How is it different and how much if 100% is no difference, 95% is extremely hard to hear (type need special music) 90% very hard, 85% a slight difference and 80% is clearly worse??

- Or are at least HiMD SP safe in this aspect, producing perfect conversions???

Yes, I read that some consider old Atrac 4.5 recordings to sound better!?!

- That lead to another quality question... Will the sound with old MD recordings, be better or worse from RH1 connected to my Onkyo TX-SR603E receiver, than from my old MDS-JE500 deck??

- Are there any things that I should think on, when I do the backups and copy??

- I did as example notice a huge high frequency difference between a late test (14khz for 64kbps) and 22khz (at same bit rate) in Sony's first test results... Is that because of some setting, bad transfer method???

- Then may I see following directly in the manual... But can I backup in the higher SP quality and then anyhow copy to HiMD LP ??

- If I did understand right, is it not possible to record in any quality setting between HiMD SP and LP and then play it on RH1??

- And I guess that I can sort the tracks in "artist" catalogues and then (as before) titles??

- But can I also select to play ONLY the tracks from one artist / catalogue???

Thankful for any help and I will also post any great advice in my magazine, to help more!

Edited by vantechmag

If I not get any answers on my questions above and some good advice, will I do like following, when I hopefully get my RH1 on Wednesday...

That can also work as a start up guide for other new RH1 owners...

* Read the manual...

* Make digital copy of my "test" MD from RH1 to JE500 (my MD deck with generation 4 Atrac)

* Compare RH1 and JE500 to see how play old MD best...

* Install SS and download the latest version...

* Upload old "test" disc (uncheck DRM) both as Wav and HiMD

* Make HiMD LP and HiMD SP from both Wav and HiMD

* Compare my old MD from JE500 to RH1 with the different HiMD recordings

* Select finally the most compact format that NOT give less quality, compared with my old MD music and copy everything to HiMD discs...

* Or just backup my old disc to my notebook and separate hard drive (before I sell my 10 worthless HiMD discs) if they still sound best!!

I did finally order the masterpiece today and I did first try to find some answers to this questions in the forum...

- Should I first update the included programs???

Yes, I would normally do that BUT newer programs have sometimes BIG limitations and not only improvements!!

You could, but I haven't, and I am pretty satisfied with my version of SS.

- Are there any smart tricks, that might improve me experience with my delicate RH1 in any way???

Get a case, and make sure your eject button is well protected from accidental opening.

I will in first hand do backups on my old MD recordings - that only is sorted with titles, beginning with a number according to my grade of the track... And then move the old recordings to HiMD wish raise following questions...

- Have you "golden ears" and can't anyhow hear any difference between an original MD recording and a copy / transfer to HiMD LP when you only listen to the music??? When you listen carefully and not just as background entertainment... Or if you actually can hear a difference... How is it different and how much if 100% is no difference, 95% is extremely hard to hear (type need special music) 90% very hard, 85% a slight difference and 80% is clearly worse??

I have only ever been able to really tell the difference between LP4 and LP2. I can't tell the difference between LP2 and SP, and I can't tell the difference between HiSP and HiLP. Experiment with your own settings, and what you hear.

- Or are at least HiMD SP safe in this aspect, producing perfect conversions???

Yes, I read that some consider old Atrac 4.5 recordings to sound better!?!

I can't hear it. It sounds like it did before conversion.

- That lead to another quality question... Will the sound with old MD recordings, be better or worse from RH1 connected to my Onkyo TX-SR603E receiver, than from my old MDS-JE500 deck??

N/A, I don't own a deck.

- Are there any things that I should think on, when I do the backups and copy??

I seem to remember some naming issues with older recordings.

- I did as example notice a huge high frequency difference between a late test (14khz for 64kbps) and 22khz (at same bit rate) in Sony's first test results... Is that because of some setting, bad transfer method???

I don't know.

- Then may I see following directly in the manual... But can I backup in the higher SP quality and then anyhow copy to HiMD LP ??

You can convert to HiLP back to the recorder if that is what you are asking.

- If I did understand right, is it not possible to record in any quality setting between HiMD SP and LP and then play it on RH1??

The RH1 will playback in every mode available in either MD or HiMD. There is not a recording setting on the RH1 "between" HiSP, and HiLP, however.

- And I guess that I can sort the tracks in "artist" catalogues and then (as before) titles??

In SS, yes. I'm pretty sure I'm answering this right.

- But can I also select to play ONLY the tracks from one artist / catalogue???

Not on the unit, as far as I am aware.

Thankful for any help and I will also post any great advice in my magazine, to help more!

Thank you a lot, milomind...

It was brave to answer what you did know, especially when nobody else did and when you wasn't very sure about most... I suppose that I have to find out the details myself ;-)

But it was a great relief that you couldn't hear the difference, between an old MD recording and a converted HiMD SP recording!

Let me attempt to answer your questions.

1. Yes try Sonic Stage CP 4.2 it's very good. But you can make do with 3.4, I upgraded because I thought 3.4 was giving me troubles.

2. As of now, no not that I know of. Only thing I wish for is track info. on the main unit.

3. I don't understand your question but the RH1 sounds very, very nice.

4. To me I can hear the difference between PCM and Hi-SP because believe it or not I have very sensitive ears. But Hi-SP would blow your mind away, far better than legacy SP, remember legacy SP is very old technology and there for uses inefficient (is that a word?) compression methods.

5. I don't have those decks and receivers so I wouldn't know, but using line-out it should sound spectacular.

The last few question unfortunately I cannot understand. Hope this helps.

Edited by Sparda