Connect store downloads

Rate this topic

innlaeufer

Occasionally I use the Connect store to find music that is hard to come by locally. Usually these downloads come with a restriction to the number of times I can transfer them to MD. Now if I burn an audio CD with SonicStage and then re-import the CD into SS, the restrictions are gone.

Now I wonder, does this process entail a considerable loss in audio quality? Or is that negligible?

TIA for answers,

innlaeufer

The first step, burning to CD, should not result in quality loss because you are not compressing the files any further.

But the second step, reimporting to SS, does involve another compression, so there is some quality loss, depending on what bitrate of ATRAC you are using to import--that is, how much you are compressing the file. Whether it's negligible depends on your ears and your playback system. Play an original Connect file and an imported-from-CD file side by side. How much difference do you hear?

How much difference do you hear?

I don't hear much of a difference -- but I also never worried much about bitrates. I found out that the Connect store downloads are sampled at 132 (bits? whatever), whereas I import from CD's always at 256. But my guess is that the files don't become better :whistle3:

innlaeufer