Major RH10 problem

Rate this topic

javertim

So, my RH10 unit is well out of warranty and has really only been used for playing (I use my RH910 for recording, usually). In fact, I've only recorded with it maybe 3-4 times since I bought it last December. Recently, I have tried recording with this unit and it has started making weird "clicking" sounds after about 8 seconds. After trying to stop it and simply start over, I found that it would not save any of the information and constantly got stuck on the "System File Writing" screen.

More recently (today), I have tried recording with it again and now the unit shuts down completely (black screen) after 6 seconds worth of recording.

So, I guess I'm screwed, with the unit being out of the 1-year warranty. It has never been dropped and has been well cared for. I was wondering if anyone else has ever had this kind of problem before and, if so, how it was resolved. I have no idea what to do. :-(

Thanks.

So, my RH10 unit is well out of warranty and has really only been used for playing (I use my RH910 for recording, usually). In fact, I've only recorded with it maybe 3-4 times since I bought it last December. Recently, I have tried recording with this unit and it has started making weird "clicking" sounds after about 8 seconds. After trying to stop it and simply start over, I found that it would not save any of the information and constantly got stuck on the "System File Writing" screen.

More recently (today), I have tried recording with it again and now the unit shuts down completely (black screen) after 6 seconds worth of recording.

So, I guess I'm screwed, with the unit being out of the 1-year warranty. It has never been dropped and has been well cared for. I was wondering if anyone else has ever had this kind of problem before and, if so, how it was resolved. I have no idea what to do. :-(

Thanks.

Well just quickly you tried a different disc one fresh out of the package perhaps?

Run a cleaner through your unit?

Sounds to me like you might have something inside the unit a piece of sand or who knows what. If your techno savy and not afraid open it up give it a slight shake out put it back together.

That's just my thoughts.

Well just quickly you tried a different disc one fresh out of the package perhaps?

Run a cleaner through your unit?

Sounds to me like you might have something inside the unit a piece of sand or who knows what. If your techno savy and not afraid open it up give it a slight shake out put it back together.

That's just my thoughts.

Yes, I have tried several discs, both new (out-of-the-package) and formerly used. Additionally, I have run a cleaner through the unit several times with no success. I was just thinking about opening up the unit, since I am out of warranty, but I haven't been able to do this. I have removed the two tiny screws at the hinge but I cannot seem to lift off the lid. I tried searching the forums (and the net) for directions on opening a unit but was unable to find anything. Would you be able to tell me how to do so?

Btw, I figured out that the reason the unit was shutting off was due to a low battery (apparently something is also wrong with the battery life indicator, but I am less concerned with this). So, now I am back to the constant clicking sound when the recording is underway. Somehow, the unit got through the "System File Writing" screen this time and was able to save something of what I test-recorded. I was able to record 25 seconds of audio before stopping it (manually), but the only seconds 10-18 are playable. Additionally, upon letting the unit shut down and then trying to replay the disc, I encounter a "Read Error."

Edited by javertim

Yes, I have tried several discs, both new (out-of-the-package) and formerly used. Additionally, I have run a cleaner through the unit several times with no success. I was just thinking about opening up the unit, since I am out of warranty, but I haven't been able to do this. I have removed the two tiny screws at the hinge but I cannot seem to lift off the lid. I tried searching the forums (and the net) for directions on opening a unit but was unable to find anything. Would you be able to tell me how to do so?

Btw, I figured out that the reason the unit was shutting off was due to a low battery (apparently something is also wrong with the battery life indicator, but I am less concerned with this). So, now I am back to the constant clicking sound when the recording is underway. Somehow, the unit got through the "System File Writing" screen this time and was able to save something of what I test-recorded. I was able to record 25 seconds of audio before stopping it (manually), but the only seconds 10-18 are playable. Additionally, upon letting the unit shut down and then trying to replay the disc, I encounter a "Read Error."

Well there's either some extra screws inside you might see upon opening the unit just make sure they are conencted to the housing in some way an not internals.

But other than that it's probabyl a snap in place type of model where you find the right places to pry up.

As I don't own the RH10 I couldn't begin to tell you exactly how to do it. If I had one i'd take it apart and let ya know. Perhaps someone else has had experience around these parts?

Well your in luck I did some searchign and it lead me back to these forums. Found a website with photos someone took apart their RH10

Perhaps you could private him about more info if the pics aren;t enough help.

http://gregtsai.spaces.live.com/PersonalSp...p;_c=photoalbum

click RH10

The User is gregtsai