Problem: My PC does not detect the NW-A3000

Rate this question

David Leth Williams

Question

I finally managed to get Connect installed on my PC.

So i tried to plug the a3000 into the pc, using the USB cable.

The little red light, lights up quickly, and the a3000 charges the battery for a few seconds.

Then the light turns off, it stops charging, it never moves on from the "connecting" screen.

It's like the computer doesn't sense that the player is connected.

Can anybody tell me what the problem might be? :unsure:

Im using WinXP pro 2002. Is SP2 required?

I haven't been able to find any mention of this problem.

Any help appreciated.

7 answers to this question

Hmm, uhm have you tried selecting the player on the left of the screen from the menu? if not do that, the player should be there. As well the transfer window is in the top right hand corner, click that open the transfer window. If that don't work, then try using another USB port.

btw does your pc recognize the unit when you plug it in? ie as another external removeable drive?

Im using WinXP pro 2002. Is SP2 required?

Here are the ConnectPlayer Minimum System Requirements from SonyAsiaPacific ,

It does not mention SP2 as recommended (you think it would) also note right at the end DirectX 9.0c is required.

Computer: IBM PC/AT or compatible computer preinstalled with Windows®.

CONNECT Player is compatible with the following Windows® Operating System:

- Windows® 2000 Professional (Service Pack 4 or later)

- Windows® XP Home Edition

- Windows® XP Professional

- Windows® XP Media Center Edition

- Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2004

- Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005

CONNECT Player is not compatible with the following Windows® Operating System:

- Windows® 95

- Windows® 98 Gold Edition

- Windows® 98® Second Edition

- Windows® Millennium Edition

- Windows® NT

- Any version of Windows® 2000 other than Windows® 2000 Professional(Such as Windows® 2000 Server)

- Windows® XP Professional x64 Edition

Browser: Microsoft® Internet Explorer 5.5 or later

For systems that do not have Microsoft® Internet Explorer 5.5 or later with 128-bit cipher strength installed, functions related to Music service sites will not work properly.

In addition, JavaScript and cookies must be enabled in Internet Explorer for Music service site functions to work.

CPU: Pentium™ III 450 MHz or higher

RAM: 256 MB or greater (512 MB is recommended)

Hard Disk: 200 MB or greater of available space

More space may be required depending on the version of the Operating System. Additional space is required for storing music data.

Display:Screen Resolution: 800 x 600 pixels (or higher)(1024 x 768 is recommended)

Colors: Medium (16 bit) (or higher) (CONNECT Player may not operate properly at color settings at or below 256 colors.)

CD-ROM drive (supporting Digital MusicCD playback capabilities using WMD)

To create original CDs or to back up audio CDs, a CD-R/RW drive is required.

Sound card:

Sound cards compatible with any of the following Operating System:

- Windows® 2000 Professional

- Windows® XP Home Edition

- Windows® XP Professional

- Windows® XP Media Center Edition

- Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2004

- Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005

USB port: A USB port is required for connecting to external devices/media.

When connecting devices/media to the computer via a USB hub, only devices/media whose operation through a hub has been confirmed will work with CONNECT Player.

Do not use CONNECT Player while logged on to a domain user account under Windows® 2000 Professional, Windows® XP Professional or Windows® XP Home Edition.

CONNECT Player should be installed while logged on to an account with administrator privileges.

2. Important Notes

Software Installation/Uninstallation

The following modules are installed as required when CONNECT Player is installed.

Microsoft® DirectX® Runtime 9.0c © 2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Portions utilise Microsoft Windows Media Technologies. Copyright© 1999-2002 Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved

Device drivers for portable devices are installed, if required.

When CONNECT Player is uninstalled using Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, the above modules are not removed. The music database created by CONNECT Player is also not deleted.

Ascariss: The player doesn't show up anywhere. Not in windows nor in Connect Player/SonicStage. I just tried plugging it in to another USB port, than I used yesterday.

bogon07: Yeah, since they have written "Windows® 2000 Professional (Service Pack 4 or later)", they probably also would have written that with XP. I have DX 9.0c already.

Yes. When connected, my NW-A1000 shows up as a 'Removable Disk' in My Computer and I get the USB 'chime' when it's connected / disconnected.

I often drag and drop files (documents / zips / rars) on to my NW-A1000, using My Computer, for use on other PCs. However, this doesn't work for music...

Edited by Obli