Bose Triport On-Ear Phones

Rate this topic

smkranz

My 18-year old dragged me into the Bose store in the mall before Christmas and said I had to listen to __ (whatever)__ whole-house system they had set up in their "theater". I indulged him, and yep it sounded very nice and all...but I left the room telling him "This isn't an electronics store, it's the Divorce Store". He knew what I meant and I had to go no further to justify why I wasn't going to buy one of their $2,000 systems.

But we did take a listen to their phones on the way out the door, and he got all drooly over the comfort and sound of the On-Ear phones ($180).

post-4093-1168025026_thumb.jpg

So I sucked it up and got him a pair for Christmas a couple of weeks later. He has had absolutely no luck with any kind of bud or in-ear model he has tried (either uncomfortable, or they fall out), and he didn't seem to really take to my Sennheiser PX100's when he was playing with them on his iPod.

Got these 'cuz I knew he liked them although I no doubt could have gotten something at least as comfy, and probably better soundiing, for less. They're not as big and clunky as over the ear job. But I gotta say, when I've been able to pry them off his head to give them a listen, they really do sound sweet, and yeah, I could keep them on my head for hours, too. I have only listened to them with what he's got playing in his iPod at the time which is mostly classical (he's a conservatory student) so I can't say I've given them a side-by-side with my own music compared with other phones. But I can see (and hear) why he loves them. The soft pads really are very good at blocking most ambient room sound (distinctly unlike the PX100's).

They come with a semi-hard plastic storage case, and they fold up so that the ear pieces flip up inside the headband. Seem to be built OK. Very convenient (for him, anyway) is that they also come with two different length cords, a shorty for when you're wearing your tunes in your shirt pocket or on a clip and are out and about, and a longer one for, I guess, "regular" use.

I guess I'm a sucker...but I also guess I don't care. It was a case of buying the kid what he wanted. Bose bashers, feel free...

Edited by smkranz

not planning to bash anything (my dad is very pleased with his bose home system and I really love to keep it that way :P ) but if you think the PX100 sound good but could use a little bit more isolation (not really much more) without 1) spending as much as on the bose; and 2) compromising style, comfort nor SQ... really you should look into importing some Sony D66SL eggo's through audiocubes or something alike... $100 less than the bose and I'll bet quite something substantial you wouldn't want to trade 'em (even if it was for style alone :lol: )

Edited by The Low Volta

ah... that isn't nice :P those are the new phones supposed to replace the ol' eggo line I guess (Ishii did a pictorial on them I believe)

I know on ebay the respectable seller 'buyfromjapan' sold the D66SL as well, but he seems to have taken a vacation (no items in his shop at this moment... but that could change real soon...) perhaps he still has access to a couple of them (I'd like that, as I'd love to get a spare set now they seem to be out of production)

I'll keep you posted if I find them somewhere

hey,, guys;; i just came from a shopping rant with my wife and was stranded in an all woman's shopping mall,, but;;

i found Brookstone there;; and they had these buds and headphones for $20 to $35 that claimed to replicate virtual surround sound..

i was tempted but have enough buds and headphones for now..

but,, do any of yous ever tried one of these?? there were nospecs on the back of the box;; which would mean a lot to me..

i'll try to get a link to add here later.. (http://www.brookstone.com/store/product.asp?product_code=510701&search_type=search&search_words=ear%20buds&prodtemp=t1&cm_re=Result*R2C2*T)

Edited by rayzray

Now that you mention Brookstone, one of my other kids (geez...how many are there?) has these earbuds from Brookstone. They're in-ear buds that have a neat reatractible cord. They sounded pretty OK to me for $25, but I haven't really spent any quality time with them on to really have a reportable opinion.

http://www.brookstone.com/store/product.as...amp;prodtemp=t1

^ yeah;; these were right next to the ones i saw;; for the money;; you can't go wrong;; and they almost "fit-in" with the white Apple look..

i like Brookstone stuff;; and you can take them back and exchange for another one pretty easy;; especially cracked memory foam..

Brookstone stuff is like a compromize between Apple and the rest of the world..

teens and kids LOVE Brookstone (you can always find them in and on the "vibrating" equipment..

MAYBE,, Sony should have sold their MD and Hi-MD unitS out of Brookstone and made Apple eat themselves..

oh,, i think next time i go to Brookstone;; i will buy one of these retractable,, white;; virtual sounding ear things just for FUN..

Edited by rayzray

Bose??????????????????????

(somebody had to say it ;)

mmmm;; soooo you are saying Bose makes them for brookstone;; or brookstone sells Bose stuff??

i didn't mean to swear the word,, "Bose"..

i do own at least a hundred Brookstone items including my big a** turbo neck vibrator!! can't hear the music in da ear buds,, though,, when i use it..

Edited by rayzray

ah, thanks jaylen... I'm seriously considering getting a second one as I really, REALLY love 'em, except for 2 things:

- they are foldable and seem 'portable', but they form an awkward ball that isn't stored easily and the felt bag they come with surely won't protect against any rough treatment in a bag or so... again, if someone knows of a good protective box for them (I transport them in a tupperware box right now, but it is too big for portable use)

- as with other over the head phones they do leave strange impressions in your hair, so you won't be wearing them on your way to work if it is a 'public' job

Volta: No problem. I love to shop. ;)

smkranz: Congrats on making your son happy, regardless if you did it with Bose or not. I'd imagine that 1 smile from your son is worth much, much more to you than the X number of approvals from any internet forum. For the holidays and other special occasions, like you, I'm also of the belief that what matters more is what someone "wants" and not what they "should" get. A few years back, I bought my brother some iBuds to replace the ones he crushed; yup, he wanted the STOCK iPod earphones. He was so happy and that was enough for me. But, this year, I got him a pair of the Shure E2G and now he's happier. :lol: