Artists you don't like

Rate this topic

bobt

And now for something completely different, who don't you like to listen to? Let's not flame somone for their choices, we are all unique and above that stuff right!!

I'll start the ball rolling.

I really don't much care for U2 and Coldplay, they just grate on me.

who's brave enough to be next

Bob

:girl_devil:

well,, i don't like James Taylor singing Christmas songs;; he ruined my christmas season..

but,, there is something good in every bad artist;; just seek it out and edit..

i think i just don't like artists that swear and use violent phrases to get big.. and i HATE songs with a thousand bleeps;;

ok,, i hate Barbara Streisand (sp);; i should burn all 30 albums i have of her's..

Edited by rayzray

ok,, i hate Barbara Streisand (sp);; i should burn all 30 albums i have of her's..

see, I like that... once you've sat through 30 of an artist's albums (which you even own yourself) you have a right to say they aren't any good :lol:

no seriously, even though I believe there are some exceptions (as always), I can easily pinpoint some genres the world could do without IMHO :P

- R&B + homeboy/gansta rap ... anything with who's and bitchas and baggy pants dangling under their undies and I'm laughing so hard I can't even focus on the music (if there even is any) - a few exceptions: I kinda can stand some of missy elliot's stuff and even justin Timberlakes squeals bu that's about it

- outright commercial pop & dance... the top-50 is full of it and I just can't stand it

- anything overproduced or worse, pro-tooled (or whatsitcalled) singers...and yes chino moreno that even means you, though I dig the music itself ... but every self-respecting musician should be able to perform the stuff live as well

- covers that add nothing (and I think I shouldn't add anything else here either)

- popularized classical music... no, Mozart does NOT need a beat!, nor should he be synthesizerized!!

- well, swearing/shocking/disgusting lyrics just to be swearing/shocking/disgusting... I have nothing against faul words etc if they are warranted... but a dance song called 'Mickey Mouse Motherf***er' just won't do; let the music convince me! (it's like big brother ppl claiming celebrity: yeah you'll probably get it, but for all the wrong reasons)

- and many MANY more...

heck, I guess I'm kinda intolerant/intolerable... I seem to have quite a bit too many musical things I can't really stand so I'll quit now that there are still a couple of ppl here that wanna talk to me :P

have fun and do not let anyone tell you what you should or shouldn't listen to! (or in other words... this is only my opinion and yours might differ...)

Edited by The Low Volta

see, I like that... once you've sat through 30 of an artist's albums (which you even own yourself) you have a right to say they aren't any good :lol:

- popularized classical music... no, Mozart does NOT need a beat!, nor should he be synthesizerized!!......

sh*t;; does this mean i have to "burn" my "Switched On Bach" album too?? i love it sooooo much;; i try to play along with my 15 + synths;; love da Moog thing but played other brands all my life..

oh,, and as much as Country is clean and wholesome;; i have acquired a big disliking to it.. it reminds me of all the myths about me and my 2 "X's";; after all,, MY "X's" DON"T live in Texas.. *yes;; i HATE that song too*..

yes,, i think Country is just toooo boring;; i hate it!!

Edited by rayzray

Personally I don't much care for music that is made for the sole purpose of selling records.

To me, true "music" is a form of self-expression, an art form. True "music" expresses that which cannot be expressed through any other means. It transcends time and language.

Very few musicians (comparatively) tap into this, the rest I don't really care for.

• 2 weeks later...

No one should say they dislike anything in the top 40, otherwise you suddenly become old and sounding like your parents.
my parents happen to be very creative ppl with an excellent taste for classical and complex contemporary music (like most postrock, some sorts of jazz and certain bands like The Mars Volta and Tool...) and I don't really mind sounding like them in that regard... but then again, I'm kinda close to thirty already so I might simply be old in your opinion :lol:

I personally am not saying I'm against top-40 per se (heck, Damie Rice is in the top-40 overhere) but lots of the things that make up this list are simply 'produced to make money' and what's worse they sound like that as well

in general, I crave music that makes me think and/or discover new/deeper emotional levels and I dislike all brainless, soulless (often over-commercialized) dribble

Edited by The Low Volta

music is like "Soup-of-the-Day";; sometimes you have to suck it up just to please you better half..

so,, i tell my wife;; gee,, i like the station you are listening too;; when in actuality;; i can't stand it..

i can take a "Three-chord" country song and improvise a double speed sax jazz solo along with it in my head..

so,, we can take ANY song we hate and re-frame it;; re-tame it-- and re-claim it..

basically i hate any music that reminds me of the past;; my life only goes forward,, and new music keeps me young..

a good re-mix;; even a Marylin Manson one can crust the day off good,, sometimes.. (oh,, i hate most Manson's songs)..

Edited by rayzray

Incidently I am 48 and could not tell you the name of any group or song in the charts now or in the past 10 years or more. I dont dislike any particular type of music, just the odd band. One week in Scotland last year I saw Richard Thompson, Ladysmith Black Mambosa, Ocean Colour Scene and The Royal Scottish Symphony Orchestra and all were brilliant, with the exception of OCS who were mediocre at best.

gee,, i'm gonna be 64 and LOVE the top 40 and follow it and record it faithfully;; love RBHH;; most Rap is pretty good,, and ALL the music youzz like..

right now as i am listening to The Flaming Lips;; i can't think of anything else i don't like;; perhaps just a "Lack-of-talent" in anyone is what i am looking for.. i HATE artists with a "Lack-of-talent"

maybe the White Stripes and their lack of something;; perhaps (the rest of the band)..!!