Increasing value of Hi-MD on Ebay!

Rate this topic

doomlordis

I always keep an eye on ebay for cheap hi-md units and i have noticed a large increase in value of them. A couple of years ago you were lucky to get £50 for a NH700 , last week i saw one sell for £110 , this was for a used but in great condition unit boxed with everything but would be the equivilent of paying £170 for a 15gb 3rd gen Ipod (try £40 on ebay). I bought my NH700 for £149 new when it came out!

NH1 regularly sells for £130+ and the RH10 £150+ .

Its nice to know that your collection is still worth a few quid.

Ditto here. A company was selling a lot of NH700's and NHF800's out of California for very good prices for well over a year. Some sold for as little as $75 USD. Now you're lucky to see one being sold for $125 and that same company is either running low on their stock and trying to drive the price up or they are just holding out for more money. Either way their price has risen like the rest. I bought a used NHF800 with a bunch of discs for $115 a few months ago and I don't believe I could get one for that price now with all the discs I got. I checked today and the only NHF800 with a buy it now price was listed at $150 and it was used and didn't even include the remote much less any discs.

Ditto here. A company was selling a lot of NH700's and NHF800's out of California for very good prices for well over a year. Some sold for as little as $75 USD. Now you're lucky to see one being sold for $125 and that same company is either running low on their stock and trying to drive the price up or they are just holding out for more money.

I know which seller you're talking about and I believe they're holding out for more money. Back in early 2006, they had just started selling MD units - their main items were all household/bathroom items and they now have separate stores for their electronics and home stuff. Friends of mine got new NH700s for ~$85 (auction-style and after shipping) and $125 (buy-it-now with free shipping); these prices were that seller's usual listing prices at the time. That company has since jacked up their prices because they're now well-known by MD enthusiasts and they see that their auctions are successful in getting them much more money than when they first started. They also used to have the NH900 for $190 (buy-it-now with free shipping), but those have been out of stock since last summer. It seems that their MD stock came from the Australian blowout of 2005.

Yes, I have noticed the same thing. I bought my RH10 18 months ago for £150 ish and a used RH910 went for £155 last week! It could be people like me who already own Hi MD units but feel insecure about their possible disappearance buying them. I've also been looking at getting a hd3 or hd5 and the price of these are holding up very well also.

The price of really good consumer video cameras is going up too. People charge twice as much for a used camera that I paid for the same camera new a year ago. It's because they hae stopped making really good consumer video cameras. We'll likely see the price of MD continue to increase as it becomes more obvious that they will be gone all too soon. I just hope the ones I have hold up for a long time. I've already gotten several years out of one but that might not be the case with my newer models. Obviously there are other devices that will do the job I want done on the market but I have all these discs that will be pretty much useless except to sell to someone who still has a working MD.

Keep in mind when it comes to Ebay, "value" is completely subjective, and quite fickle... one month something goes for a huge price, then a month later the same thing for nothing. I understand what you all are saying about the prices, and I've also noticed that even the FREQUENCY of HiMD units being posted is decreasing, but either way, there will always be someone selling them on Ebay in the long run... stock up on your units now I say ;)