Sharing ATRAC3plus files

Rate this topic

Sony_Fan

I had an idea. What if someone started a website where we could all upload music in ATRAC3plus format for us to share with each other. Music has to be between 64kbps and 192kbps. What do you guys think? There are so many MP3 sharing websites and programs, why not start one for ATRAC3plus music?

Most file sharing apps allow sharing of any file extension. You'd just needed to set up a website to announce the content if you wanted to. It is not illegal per se to share mp3s, atracs or any other file type, its legality depends on the content. Recording and sharing your own voice would be legal, whereas sharing copyrighted material wouldn't.

Most file sharing apps allow sharing of any file extension. You'd just needed to set up a website to announce the content if you wanted to. It is not illegal per se to share mp3s, atracs or any other file type, its legality depends on the content. Recording and sharing your own voice would be legal, whereas sharing copyrighted material wouldn't.

Except that you MD recorder / SS encrypt ATRACT files adds SCMS and other BS, shame on you Sony!

Nice idea ,but I don't think that Sony will allow us to share files publicly over net.

How about we don't tell Sony about it and put our ATRAC3plus files in a shared folder. I'm talking about music from CD ripped to ATRAC3plus. The copyrights state that it is illegal to duplicate the music on the CD. Duplicate by definition means an exact copy. Ripping a CD to ATRAC3plus in any bitrate is not a duplicate. A duplicate would be 1441kbps --> copy 1441kbps. We would be sharing files ripped between 64kbps and 192kbps. Those are not exact copies. Just like in the 80's when people were copying CDs to cassettes, no one got in legal trouble for that, because it's not an exact copy.

chris G, even though you might have a point there in theory... reality (i.e. all the succesful cases made by music industry big shots against e.g. 14 year old girls sharing MP3s - not 'exact copies' either - over the net using napster or gnutella etc) proves you wrong I'm afraid

you should be able to hear a significant degradation in SQ before you could actually try and use that argument in court I reckon... so perhaps HiLP should be ok :P just kidding

the big shots would easily claim that a transparant file is as good as an exact copy as pirating is concerned... don't you think that someone else would already have thought about this if it really would/could work?

Edited by The Low Volta

chris G, even though you might have a point there in theory... reality (i.e. all the succesful cases made by music industry big shots against e.g. 14 year old girls sharing MP3s - not 'exact copies' either - over the net using napster or gnutella etc) proves you wrong I'm afraid

you should be able to hear a significant degradation in SQ before you could actually try and use that argument in court I reckon... so perhaps HiLP should be ok :P just kidding

the big shots would easily claim that a transparant file is as good as an exact copy as pirating is concerned... don't you think that someone else would already have thought about this if it really would/could work?

Well then the law should be re-written and state that only CD duplicates of equal bitrates is illegal. I do have one question, why didn't the creators of MP3 put such restrictions on it like Sony does with ATRAC. Look at the outcome: MP3 is very popular, ATRAC not very popular.

Well then the law should be re-written and state that only CD duplicates of equal bitrates is illegal
I bet that would be highly supported by the music industry's lobby groups :lol:

and for a quick guide to the MP3 development history have a read overhere

Ok guys I think this thread is not really covering any new ground. Obviously the whole question is something of a gray area and one might even say we ourselves are not beyond reproach given that we have numerous threads dedicated to MD trading and a gallery for uploading Atrac recordings. However I think the specific endeavor that is being proposed here is not something we should publicly be endorsing. Likewise the DRM issues have been amply discussed elsewhere on the forum. Thanks ;)

* Thread closed