MD--->HiMD using two portables

Rate this topic

ASM1

Hi

First post on here so be gentle :o

I have a trusty MZN-707 Net MD, and a few 80 min MD's that I would like to put on to a single HiMD, having just bought an MZ-RH1, now I know the limitation insofar as you cant upload to PC from anything recorded by older versions of sonicstage and NETMD (this track was not transferred on this computer) However I was wondering at the easiest way to do the transfer?

I'm not desperate to put the whole library of songs back on my PC (I can always upload them later using the transfer) Would it simply be a case of connecting the two portables together via the headphone/Line out socket on the 707 to the Line/mic in on the RH1 (which socket, am a bit stuck as its a while since I have done any analogue recording?)

The 707 has had the 'Hack' applied a while ago which apparently allows for several functions of the N1 to be used, including the option to use the headphone socket as a Line out (should I enable/use this option?)

I realise that the tracks will be recorded continuously without the track breaks but I can add these later.

lots of questions, hope this is the right place :)

"Adventurous" isn't the word I'd use..... sounds painfully complicated :ninja: Any guides around for such a task?

Edit: having done a few searches on here, it would appear that TOC cloning isnt possible with the 707... so unless someone knows something I don't then it would appear I'm stuck with analogue recording.... oh well... :)

Andrew

Edited by AndrewMc1

Analog should be fine, and would just be connecting the headphone out of the N707 to the line-in of the HiMD (not the mic-in). You probably want to use manual rec-levels and set the levels yourself, rather than using the AGC...

Any unit that records would in theory be capable of TOC cloning (with the exception of download-only units, and HiMD portables).. Though it could be slightly complicated, and you would run the risk of messing the unit up.

If you only have a few discs, analogue would probably be the way to go. If you had a good many (that would take an inordinate amount of time to record in realtime) then modifying a unit to enable TOC cloning would be quicker. There aren't guides around for modifying sony portables, but I may write one up at some point...

Edited by raintheory

Raintheory

I have about 4 MD's worth of stuff I'd like to transfer, not a massive ammount and I have the time so analogue will be fine. Have just remembered I used to use WinNMD to get lectures from my minidisc when I used it at uni. It means putting all the stuff on PC but might give that a go too, at least it would maintain my track breaks.

Will be watching out for the "guide"

cheers

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Raintheory

I have about 4 MD's worth of stuff I'd like to transfer, not a massive ammount and I have the time so analogue will be fine. Have just remembered I used to use WinNMD to get lectures from my minidisc when I used it at uni. It means putting all the stuff on PC but might give that a go too, at least it would maintain my track breaks.

Will be watching out for the "guide"

cheers

Andrew

Why not do the following (you only need to use 1 recorder as well).

1) Put the Legacy MD's into the RH1.

2) Upload to PC (now allowable). Convert to WAV if the original was SP recordings - done in the transfer via SS.

3) Now download to HI-MD

You can edit the tracks or whatever in SS to give them title names.

This is bound to be quicker than using analog recordings.

You can delete the stuff from SS afterwards if you don't want to keep the recordings on your PC.

If the legacy stuff was Net MD LP2 / LP4 you *might* still be able to upload it to PC provided you use the RH1 recorder -- I'm not too sure about this as I only ever downloaded LP2 / LP4 and never actually recorded in this format. Should be easy to try it.

I have a feeling also that using SS 4.2 with the RH1 there are a lot less restrictions on transferring music (both to and from a PC).

No probs whatsoever however if the recordings were SP. If you can't use the RH1 for LP2/LP4 upload to PC then analog real time is your only choice. - I'd still upload into a computer (via Total Recorder ) as it's much easier to edit the tracks and give them names on a PC than fiddle around using the RH1.

Cheers

-K

Edited by 1kyle

• 2 weeks later...

1) Put the Legacy MD's into the RH1.

2) Upload to PC (now allowable). Convert to WAV if the original was SP recordings - done in the transfer via SS.

3) Now download to HI-MD

Is there a way I can upload from the RH10?

I have several MDs recorded on a Sharp 722 that play on the RH10, but refuse to upload via SS. The message I get is: "Unable to transfer the following tracks to My Library because they are recorded by Net MD or another computer."

Is that so? Any way to circumvent that?

Carlos

Is there a way I can upload from the RH10?

no, sorry... there is only one MD that allows digital uploads (through USB) of legacy recordings: the RH1

and as it is not only a software but also a hardware issue, you will not be able to hack/trick any other MD into uploading

no, sorry... there is only one MD that allows digital uploads (through USB) of legacy recordings: the RH1

OK. What can I record on my RH10 that can be digitally uploaded? Can I upload PCM recordings?

and as it is not only a software but also a hardware issue, you will not be able to hack/trick any other MD into uploading

Something hackeable? Hardware can be hacked sometimes too.

- the RH10 will allow upload of HiMD formats (HiLP, HiSP and PCM) to PC (not mac) but anything recorded with a non-HiMD model is legacy and Sharp didn't make any HiMD's

- Hardware hacking is mostly called modding IIRC

- there are user manuals available for download through minidisc.org that will enlighten you on the capacities of the RH10 and other HiMD models :lol:

- the RH10 will allow upload of HiMD formats (HiLP, HiSP and PCM) to PC (not mac) but anything recorded with a non-HiMD model is legacy and Sharp didn't make any HiMD's

OK. So I should copy from Sharp to Sony and then upload?

- Hardware hacking is mostly called modding IIRC
Anything done for the HiMD models?

- there are user manuals available for download through minidisc.org that will enlighten you on the capacities of the RH10 and other HiMD models

What information other than on the RH10 manual itself? Any URL that you can suggest for these manuals?

OK. So I should copy from Sharp to Sony and then upload?
that is an option, but it will be analogue and realtime... you could just as well rerecord to PC using audacity (see this thread) ... as you woud have found also by searchin/browsing these forums

Anything done for the HiMD models?
no, it would have been advertised in BIG capitals all over this site if someone had found a hack/mod that allowed legacy uploads for other HiMDs ... as you would have known had you read a bit more on these forums

What information other than on the RH10 manual itself? Any URL that you can suggest for these manuals?

well, google does yield results :Plink (operating instructions)

hope you enjoy HiMD and these forums... and I hope you'll feel welcome as well... but please search/read a bit before you ask further questions.