Portable minidisc player disassembly/repair

Rate this topic

Hi,

I've just received a second-hand Sony MZ-NE410 portable MD player. It plays fine but the Fast-Forward and volume +,- buttons doesn't allways work. Sometimes it responds as though one of the other buttons has been pressed instead.

I'd like to remove the top cover to try and clean the button contacts but I can't find an obvious way of taking it off and I don't want to force anything and break the delicate parts. Can someone advise me on the best way to remove the top cover? Are there any pictoral guides on the internet anywhere (perhaps on here?) that would help.

I'm assuming it is the well used button contacts that are to blame for this behaviour but perhaps I'm wrong, has anyone else experienced this and know of a solution other than what I'm attempting to do?

Thanks,

Dave.

Hi,

I've just received a second-hand Sony MZ-NE410 portable MD player. It plays fine but the Fast-Forward and volume +,- buttons doesn't allways work. Sometimes it responds as though one of the other buttons has been pressed instead.

I'd like to remove the top cover to try and clean the button contacts but I can't find an obvious way of taking it off and I don't want to force anything and break the delicate parts. Can someone advise me on the best way to remove the top cover? Are there any pictoral guides on the internet anywhere (perhaps on here?) that would help.

I'm assuming it is the well used button contacts that are to blame for this behaviour but perhaps I'm wrong, has anyone else experienced this and know of a solution other than what I'm attempting to do?

Thanks,

Dave.

Going on your description of the problem, taking a look at the service manual, and my own similar problem with an N710 (here), I'd say the plastic of the button control has broken. See page 8 of the service manual.

Assuming you can get it apart, it should hopefully be obvious what is broken. I repaired mine by melting the plastic together with a very fine soldering iron. Overall it was a very fiddly little job, but as you can see, it's possible.

Good luck getting it apart. Once you manage that, the rest should be easy. Umm... honest! ;)

I'd be inclined to see if the plastics are broken before worrying about the circuit board. The NE410 is very similar in construction to the N510 I have, and I just used the NE410 service manual instructions to remove the bottom, then the top cover from my N510 to have a look. Allowing for a being a bit timid about it, I reckon I had it apart and back together in 5 minutes. It would take a bit longer to get to the plastics of the button control, but not by much. Don't mix the screws from the top and bottom covers as they are different. Also be careful of the spring for opening the clamshell; there's a tiny slot in the top cover that it..well, slots into, that is difficult to see when you put it back together. You'll also need to take the flat cable out of the ZIF socket before the top cover will come off. After that it looks like there are just four more screws to remove to get the circuit board off so you can see the button conttrol.

• 1 month later...

hey guys. I just stumbled onto this forum as I just found my minidisc player today and decided to see if I could get it working again. I also have the MZ-NE410 and I am having the same issues with mine. I press the forward button to skip to the next track and sometimes it will go BACK a track or two instead of forward...and sometimes I'll hit "forward" and it will increase or decrease the volume.

So, I decided to take it apart today. I removed the two screws from the top, the two from the left side and the two from the bottom. I pressed the open button and grabbed onto the front of the minidisc player. The trick with getting the faceplate off of this model is that you have to hold the minidisc player so that the headphone and USB jacks are pointing toward the ceiling. Then you have to pull out and down so that the headphone jackcan be pulled down and out of it's socket in the case. Then I removed the screws that hold the board witrh the LCD onto the front...removed it and examined where the buttons hit the board...however...I still can't figure out how the hell I can push the "forward" button and the volume turns down or the track goes backwards...it doesn't even seem like that would be possible...

so, if anyone else can get the faceplate off of this model and can figure something out...please let me know as well.

cheers,

-Sean

Edited by Sean712

I guess I should mention that I already looked for broken plastic parts that were described by curls earlier...and I didn't find any...I'm including some pics just to be sure...although it might be hard for you guys to tell as I had to take the pics with my videocamera...which doesn't produce magnificent stills ;o)

post-54211-1175133542_thumb.jpg

post-54211-1175133553_thumb.jpg

post-54211-1175133562_thumb.jpg

post-54211-1175133567_thumb.jpg

post-54211-1175133574_thumb.jpg

post-54211-1175133580_thumb.jpg

post-54211-1175133586_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hey, i have a MZ-NE410, about 3 years ago i flipped my bike and landed on it, i bought a new mp3 player, but i just found my old one again, and with a dead battery it will beep when battery goes in, and display LoBATT, when i put in a new battery it will just make a clicking noise from inside the device, i have tryed everything i can think of to make it work, i plug it into comp and everything, if i put in the dead battery it will show the device is onine in sonic stage, but quickly shuts off cuz the battery is dead. I dont konw what to do, i tryed dl'ling that manual above, but it just came out in jeberish. if you know how to fix my problem or any ideas on how to fix it let me know, Thanks