Mp3 Gain Vs Dynamic Normalizer

Rate this topic

mdmania

I have always been intrigue since I was 9 years old about each songs level at just the right with each other. Finally, Sony was able to come up with DN to satisfy my needs. I also been using mp3gain as well. But I much prefer Sony's DN since I have less step to worry about drag and drop my mp3 to mp3gain and also I am not limited to using just mp3 anymore. Recently I bought a NW-S205F because of this feature DN and I able to listen to WMA, MP3 and ATrac all together. I think Sony really did a find a job...thanks Sony!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Best thing (in terms of as-close-to-audiophile-quality-as-possible) is to turn the thing off. The thing is basically a compressor/limiter, not a real 'normaliser' (which would require pre-analysation to behave as true normalisers do).

Having this thing enabled is just another module to sap the life out of your tracks (as with AVLS).

Having said that, I have heard that it is quite subtle, but I wouldn't use it myself. If you really want to normalise your tracks do it on your PC (in WAV format). This will degrade the tracks slightly as they have to be reprocessed during format conversion and during normalisation.

In fact, get this notion of normalisation out your head boy, :punish: and enjoy the true dynamics of the recordings - the odd push of your remote's volume will take care of songs that are drastically different in volume.

Edited by KanakoAndTheNumbSkulls