Quality single ear buds. Do they exist?

Rate this topic

curls

I often want to listen to music but be aware of the conversation around me, for instance, if I am out walking with someone where the conversation is sporadic. At the moment I just use one side of my earphones, but obviously I am missing some of the signal. Being able to switch the minidisc into mono as I can my radio would be ideal, but since it isn't possible, I am looking for a different solution. I've never seen a good quality single earphone, probably because the market is so small - i.e. probably just me - except the tinny ones that can be used with mobile phones. I suppose I could hack something together using an old pair of earphones, but I wondered if anyone had ever come across anything like this.

Theres probably an adapter that does this, stereo to mono.

Yes, I have mono adapter, but that makes the connection to the minidisc much longer, and you still have the second earbud dangling down.

Dunno how you can listen to two things, at once though.

I don't find anything difficult about that. Try conversing to someone on your left and ignoring the person to the right. I'm sure just about anyone can cope with that.

I don't find anything difficult about that. Try conversing to someone on your left and ignoring the person to the right. I'm sure just about anyone can cope with that.

yes, but then you aren't 'listening' to both, are you? You are talking about 'ignoring' one and 'listening' to the other...I guess lots of ppl can do that, but that is kinda rude; either towards the person you're pretending to converse with or towards the music.

Honestly, my first suggestion would be to split up actions.

- Either be social, have a talk and perhaps put on some background music for the both of you (over speakers or share the second bud)... perhaps the person talking to you might enjoy some musical distraction as well, as talking with someone partly distracted (like you 'listening' to both sources at once) can be pretty boring!

- Or lock yourself out of the world and tune into the music... unless you consciously select rubbish with semi-attention in mind already, most music you buy should be valuable enough to deserve your full attention (and not in mono either).

really, I do not think I could respect someone who zones out partly during a conversation by listening to music ... and I do not think any of my friends/family could either.

...but if you are really sure about what you are doing... I'd suggest getting a decent pair of open phones (cheapest but very good value for money are Sennheiser px100 or Koss KSC75), tell your companion what open means (that you can actually hear most of the things around you so they can address you if they feel the need) and still have the courtesy to take 'em off for a sec while the conversation lasts...

if this is even too much effort for you... I'd rather suggest for your possible companions not to talk to you :lol:

Yes, I have mono adapter, but that makes the connection to the minidisc much longer, and you still have the second earbud dangling down.

To be honest I'm just completely baffled at what you are trying to do.

Theres probably an adapter that does this, stereo to mono.

Dunno how you can listen to two things, at once though.

I have a niece who is chatting through MSN, writes a poem and talks with me all at the same time. She does it fairly well :scratchhead: however I must admit is has not the depth of a normal conversation.

Welcome to the internet... :)

The only thing I've seen which does what your looking for is the VOIP PC headsets something like.

http://www.sennheisercommunications.com/co....nsf/root/05348

Perhaps if you look into that area you'll find something in an earbud?

Heheh, 15 years using usenet learns you not to take things too much to heart. :)

Thanks for the link. It gave me food for thought and a brief search in the right direction found me one without the microphone, and with a 3.5mm plug instead of a 2.5mm one, which seems to come with most single earphones, probably because most are made to connect to a mobile phone. I also found one that looks like it might be an in ear one with the ability to take the rubber piece from my old EX70's. Local enough for me to go take a look, and very cheap too. Cheers.

I (rayzray) often go out to eat with my wife (at least twice a week or more);; and wear my Pana buds while we eat and talk..

She brings a book to read when i do that;; and yet we still talk..

i also do that in the middle of family parties when i want to LOSER the volume of the 14 screaming grandchildren a bit in my head..

the buds seem to do that excellently..

i see ppl in Boston eating at lunchtime and wearing buds and talking with friends too..

i am of the school where the more you do at the same time the more life is gratifying..

IF,, i do this with a person that seems to be annoyed a bid;; i will stop;; but "Everyone loves Raymond"..

so,, i wean BOTH buds and lower the volume so as to hear the background instead of giving up the "Stereo" with a Mono singal.. i too,, can't stand to miss out on some instruments lick/riff or pick;; or that occational percussionist's cymbol or bongo on the left channel..

Edited by rayzray

I'd also use a conventional "open" (little isolation) ear-/headphone pair in stereo at a low volume instead of a one-sided mono 'phone: Converting to mono will discard the phased content of the signal, sound coming from only one ear will confuse your perception/brain (no room information).

I really didn't think anyone would actually care *why* I wanted a single earphone, I just expected anyone who knew to say "yes, I know", and everyone else to ignore my request. I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition. No one expects... well, you know the rest. ;) Still, I guess we all have a little to much time on our hands. :)

I'd also use a conventional "open" (little isolation) ear-/headphone pair in stereo at a low volume instead of a one-sided mono 'phone: Converting to mono will discard the phased content of the signal, sound coming from only one ear will confuse your perception/brain (no room information).

I listen to a lot of radio drama/comedy which was broadcast in mono. My own fault for saying music, which, of course, isn't necessarily in stereo. I never said I was young; :D my first hi-fi was mono, and I have[1] a hell of a lot of music on vinyl which is in mono.

[1]Had. I sold out but transcribed to CD first.

you are right;; some of us have too much time on our hands;; you have a right to have a mono ear plug..

i just don't believe in too many adapters sticking into my portables units;; it puts too much pressure on the inner part of the headphone input..

as the Beatles did a LONG time ago;; they spent many many weeks and months preparing the "Perfect" Mono LP;; mono CAN be fun sometimes..