Favorite MDLP unit?

Rate this topic

whatsleftofj

I've been considering getting an MZ-N10 lately. Any thoughts or comments from current or past owners?

I've also noticed that the MZ-R900 is a very popular MDLP recorder. Does anyone have any especially positive or negative things to say about either of these, or care to recommend another MDLP recorder?

Also, are there any MZ-E10 owners that would like to give their feelings about that particular player? Anything you guys have to say would be greatly appreciated :bye:

I've also noticed that the MZ-R900 is a very popular MDLP recorder.

Never had the N10.

People love the R900 because it was metal and possibly the best-looking of any minidisc unit ever. You can find stories in these forums of how much abuse some R900s survived.

However, I had two misgivings about the one I had.

One is the latch on the gumstick battery compartment. I had to tape it shut because it kept opening in my pocket. When it opens, the battery pops out and your recording is gone.

Two is the stick used as a control. It always seemed flimsy to me, and a little too small for good control. Of course, if you're using the remote that doesn't matter.

I also have a strictly personal preference for the units with built-in AA. Yes, you can add the battery pod to the R900, but then it's no longer cool-looking.

On the other hand, it does have the Mic Sensitivity switch, which the MZ-R700--my former little workhorse--did not.

I was always fond of my MZ-N707. It was my first MD, so maybe I'm prejudiced, but except for the lack of a mic-sensitivity setting it was the ideal MDLP recorder for me--good sound, good controls, and it felt solid.

I'm pretty sure that the MZ-R900, like all the R** units, was among the generations of Sony units that do not allow level adjustment while recording--you have to put it in Pause. Not a huge problem, but you should be aware of it.

Edited by A440

...go with the N10 or better yet the N910 because they are newer and are net-md.

The N10 is netmd and the N920, still in production, is newer than the n910.

I use an N10 occasionally, it is small and sleek. My favorite non-HiMD MDLP recorders are Sharp units with Auvi amps. Stuff I record with other recorders gets put into an Auvi player so having a recorder with the amp is nice.

Edited by bland10000

Personally, the MZ-G750 is my MDLP (non-NetMD) favourite, still going strong. These days an AM/FM radio is a must for me. The G750 pretty much does everything you need it to, especially after the R900 hack is applied, runs on an AA (another preference of mine) and is compact enough not to bulge in the pocket, if you know what I mean. Even with the 'AA hump'

I've been considering getting an MZ-N10 lately. Any thoughts or comments from current or past owners?

If you can get hold of a Japanese N10 they have the very nice two-line remote RM-MC35ELK (BTW I tried an RM-MC40ELK and it stunned the unit for a couple of days)

Also no AV limit.

The grey ones are extra cool.

If you can get hold of a Japanese N10 they have the very nice two-line remote RM-MC35ELK (BTW I tried an RM-MC40ELK and it stunned the unit for a couple of days)

Also no AV limit.

The grey ones are extra cool.

my favorite mdlp would be sony mzn1,and that is also my fist md lol

I use an N10 occasionally, it is small and sleek. My favorite non-HiMD MDLP recorders are Sharp units with Auvi amps. Stuff I record with other recorders gets put into an Auvi player so having a recorder with the amp is nice.

Oh--so Auvi doesn't just specify the headphone amp but also the recorder's mic circuit/a-d converter?

I've also noticed that the MZ-R900 is a very popular MDLP recorder. Does anyone have any especially positive or negative things to say about either of these, or care to recommend another MDLP recorder?

Also, are there any MZ-E10 owners that would like to give their feelings about that particular player? Anything you guys have to say would be greatly appreciated :bye:

Hi i am new to this forum, and would like to say hi to all, in regards to the mz-r900 i have had one of these units. The sound quality was impressive as it could handle more bass than most portable units. Mine was the metallic teal color. Sadly i sold this baby because i thought it was obsolete, i thought wrong. Never again have i owned any portable device with such bass response. A very nice piece if you can find one on ebay!

I also own an MZ-R900 and it's really a nice machine. Mine looks still like new and when I showed it recently to friend who wanted to see 'that MP3-Player' more closely, he couldn't believe that the player is several years old already.

But cause I recently got an MZ-RH1, the MZ-R900 and the MZ-R909 are only my backup machines now. Anyway, if you can get an MZ-R900 in good condition to a fair price, I would take it.

best regards

Roman

My favourite is the MZ-N910, and it was my first experience with NetMD and SonicStage. Kind of different to hear the OWH thrashing around as transfers were being done. Nice, solid recorder, classic design and superb sound.

Sparda, the R909 is not an NetMD unit.

I don't recall saying that it is. I said that the N10 and N910 are NetMD. whatsleftofj mentioned the R900 which is not NetMD, so I mentioned the R909.

Edited by Sparda

• 3 weeks later...

What to say about mon amour, the glorious mzr-900? my baby is now five years old, it had some problems due to a *** technician who couldn't manage to clean its lents properly and forced me (at low price indeed) to change the pickup.. I've changed the battery however, and now the playtime is astonishing long.. as new.. I really dream to find a way to calculate how much I used this unit.. it would be a so huge amuont of hours.. and it always looks new, cool (still in 2007 people owning that poor i-stuff look at me like an alien..) and perfect.. sound is great!! recording is ok, but I confirm the problem with the battery housing opening too easily!

Just today, if I can manage it, I'm going to buy an MZ-N10 player at 120€ (Italy) to save up some lifetime for my R900... anyway that player is a jewel.. ;)

P.S. if only sony would make an Hi-Md deck... RH1 is anyway my dream..

i have many many MDLP Decks and never EVER used them for MDLP;; but i LOVE the units..

my favorite is my MXD-D40..

also still use my Portable 505 MDLP unit for teaching piano lessons and it still works great;; love it;; and keeps all the little fingers off my Hi-MD900's..

well,, i ONCE made an MDLP copy of a CD on my deck and felt i was drinking a watered down beer;; but i am SURE that any MDLP recording HAS to be better than and i-podroid..

I have the following Sony MDLP units:

MZ-R500, MXD-D40, MXD-D400, MDS-JB940, MDS-JE480.

My favorite, by a good piece of ground, is the MXD-D400. It is a CD>MD deck. ATRAC Type S. 4x CD>MD dub for both SP and LP. Optical out. On it, I crank out a LOT of comps that I listen to at work and in my car. My main complaint is that the CD and MD parts are not independent (they do not have separate I/O).

The MZ-R500, which one can get cheaply on Ebay, meet all my portable needs. It has no mic i/p, but I don't use a mic. It has no remote, I don't care. I use it for listening at work, where it takes up little space and is powered by AC via converter, and I use it for travel. On rare occasions, I use it to record via optical in.

Personally, the MZ-G750 is my MDLP (non-NetMD) favourite, still going strong. These days an AM/FM radio is a must for me. The G750 pretty much does everything you need it to, especially after the R900 hack is applied, runs on an AA (another preference of mine) and is compact enough not to bulge in the pocket, if you know what I mean. Even with the 'AA hump'

I have an MZ-G750, bought in France. I have heard of a hack for upping the max. volume. Is that the R900 hack? What is the procedure? Is it available on this board?

Thanx

My red R900 is still my favorite portable MD recorder. The thing is just so well built, feels solid with it's all metal construction. Even opening and closing the clam shell feels superior to my other units. The eject button itself feels strong and solid; the only weakness of the machine being the flimsy battery door. Though, the R900 isn't the only Sony portable with this flaw. Still, I guess it's not that bad since the battery door on my R900 hasn't suffered any problems.

Has to be my R900

I have sat on it, dropped it, had stuff fall on it and it keeps on running. Had to bend the front cover back slightly as it now looks like a satelite dish but I have yet to kill it. All the lettering has worn off of it on the front so I had to use it by feel only. It still records and plays back faultlessly. If I was to try and replicate all the things that have happened to it with a MP3 player (even flash based) I would have needed a few over the same time frame.

Its now hardly used as I have a range of Hi-MD units to listen to that take priority over MDLP units.

I would have to say the Sharp DR7 was by far my favorite MDLP player. The MXD-D400 is a bad mamajamma too. The mp3 player on the CD side was one of the best for ease of controls and use. The editing functions on the MD side were very sophisticated and had Hi-MD not come about, I would still be using it today...

My MZ-R70 lasted almost 6 years , ( It was still going when I let it go) and I thouroghly , used, abused , that unit I recorded soooo many MD's I lost count, friends were the recipient of a great many of that units recordings.

Non LP . It would absolutely have to be the MZ-R50 , which I still have and is still working great ( Needs a new Battery, the LIP-8 has given up ) Someone want to send me a couple from the US ? they want 5,200 yen here for a replacement , I see them online there from a different maker for under 20 dollars

I have the MZ-N505 and the MZ-E10. The 505 is almost 6 years old and running along quite nicely, although on and off, it doesn't want to record.

The E10 is an awesome piece of machinery and to me, gives pure character to why MDs are wayyy cooler than any flash player. From the almost flimsy cover to that super wafer thin size, its almost poetry in motion listening to music on it while just admiring it as it whirs and works away. There's something magical about how such micro-components work ... plus, being a mechanical engineer myself, I'm always pondering on how those guys packaged such a work of art! The sound of the E10 is also one of the best around I think.

Edited by RoGeR

• 11 months later...