MZ-RH1 optical output attempt fails!

Rate this topic

jernikfra

Ok, so i've been experimenting alot with my new mzrh1, and today came up with the somewhat crazy idea of attaching my onkyo ud-5 usb to optical adapter to the usb jack ob the mzrh1, i needed a usb coupler to do this, so i went mzrh1 mini usb output to usb coupler, to ud-5 usb to optical adapter, and played a disc.Unfortunately no little red light came through the optical jack :(

I thought it probably wouldn't work, but i was quietly hoping it would, since the usb is bi-directional and the unit sends digital data through this plug.It works from my computer, not from mzrh1 though.any explanations why it doesn't work would be appreciated, i assume i'm not the first person to try this, maybe just the first forum member to admit to trying it...

If you do some thinking you might have known what you try is impossible. Why?

With USB you have a "host" (a PC or MAC) that controls the communication and a "client" (your device) that follows orders from the host. Normally you connect the USB to optical device and the Hi-MD are connected to a PC and the PC starts the communication by asking which device it is and than you install the appropriate drivers. After that your PC knows what devices they are and starts to use it.

If you connect the USB tot optical converter to the Hi-MD you connect two clients who patiently wait until some host asks them to do something. There is no host so there will be no communication between the two devices.

That is also why there is a special USB cable for connecting 2 PC's (2 hosts). Two devices that want to give orders also does not work so that kind of cables with some electronics in it that act as clients. So both PC's don't directly communicate but via the "client"-device hidden in the cable (see the thing middle part of the cable):

usb-network-adapter.jpg

Your next question might be: but why does a MCMD-R1 cardreader work with a Hi-MD without a PC? The cardreader acts like a PC (host) and gives the order to sent data to put on the memorycard. That is also why the MCMD-R1 does not work if you hook it up to your PC. You connect 2 hosts and that gives problems. Furthermore a MCMD-R1 is not a full computer so it only knows how to communicate with Hi-MD devices.

So the main conclusion with connection different USB-devices is that you can only directly connect a client to a host.

Otherwise it might also be possible to let's say connect a USB printer to a USB scanner (to act as a copier). Sadly that also does not work because that are also two clients who wait for any orders from a host. Only by putting a host (PC) between them with the correct drivers/software the software knows how to make a copy with one push of a button.

Edited by MDfreak