Getting permission to record

Rate this topic

pepper

go to archive.org (or directly here) and check if they are mentioned... if not, look at similar bands and prepare a suck-up mail to the band or their tour-manager. Offer to send copies of all your recordings to them and promise that you will never ever use it for commercial activities (mention and point to etree/archive.org and their mission statements

Even when I am sure it is OK I ask one or two of the band members and when I get the nod I promise them a set of CD's of the gig. It is courteous and it is the least I can do for their letting me record. I do find it useful to ask though, when they are setting up. Never hurts.

Cheers.

"It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission."

I see absolutely nothing wrong with recording a concert for your own personal enjoyment. That does not include posting it online, selling copies, etc. But in the purely noncommercial realm, as far as I'm concerned, once the musicians have let it go, it's in the air.

"It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission."

I see absolutely nothing wrong with recording a concert for your own personal enjoyment. That does not include posting it online, selling copies, etc. But in the purely noncommercial realm, as far as I'm concerned, once the musicians have let it go, it's in the air.

Selling anything i record isnt even an option,trading it freely with other fans is as far as it goes.Obviously it will be recorded stealth if the band doesnt agree to open taping,but it would be nice to open tape as i would feel more relaxed.I really hope there comes a time when all artists allow fans to record their shows and not be so hung up about the whole thing.It may never happen but i think by saying no you cant tape,will just make people do it more.

Ive just this minute got this email from a pink floyd tribute band,after asking about recording their shows.

Thanks for your emails and your interest in Pink Fraud. There are massive copyright issues regarding the recording of shows... whilst the venues are covered for the live performance by their PRS payments, the recording and distribution of that live performance would infringe copyright laws, unless it was licensed by the record company (like the recordings we have made in the past).. and at the end of the day, it would be us that get into trouble, not the person doing the recording etc.. .which is why we cannot allow "bootleggers" to record our shows. There is an authorised release available through the website. I hope this clears it all up for you.

Hope you can catch us at a show this year...

Thanks and Regards]

"Rog"

I dont class myself as a bootlegger as bootleggers are the ones that try and make money from this.I consider myself a casual concert recorder,and trader.How much truth is there in the above email,or is it just scaremongoring to stop people doing it.I was told at one show,before anyone had come on stage,that i was breaking certain laws taking photos.I was simply taking photos of the stage set up,and i was breaking laws.He wasnt so quick to explain exactly what laws i was breaking.

Edited by pepper

Money, it's a gas.

... Whilst the venues are covered for the live performance by their PRS payments,

This means that the club pays Performing Rights Societies (PRS) like ASCAP/BMI, which represents the publishers who own the rights to the words and music of the songs, for the right to have the music performed live in the club.

the recording and distribution of that live performance would infringe copyright laws, unless it was licensed by the record company

This means that the record company owns the right to distribute its recordings of Pink Floyd--it pays the band royalties. Presumably, since Pink Fraud is not Pink Floyd, the recording company also owns part of the publishing, the right to distribute the songs themselves (words and music, not the actual sounds). So theoretically, the copies you are sharing with your friends are distributing the music, and yes, it's illegal, even if it's free. But in the real world, unless your friends are putting it where someone could grab it, duplicate and sell it--and give me a break, how big is the market for an audience bootleg of a Pink Floyd tribute band when you can get real PF bootlegs or PF albums?--it's probably not going to bother anyone unduly. Pink Fraud may not be able to say yes, legally, because they're playing someone else's songs. So they're just covering themselves legally.

And by the way, you are allowed to take photos in a public place, unless there are national security considerations.

Edited by A440