SonicStage 4.3 Arrives, Features Vista Compatibility

Christopher

As promised, Sony has released a new version of SonicStage with full Microsoft Windows Vista compatibility. The new update naturally is significant for those with plans to upgrade or already have upgraded their system with Microsoft’s latest operating system, Windows Vista (Windows Vista Home Basic, Windows Vista Home Premium, Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Ultimate).+++

391198844_897127a523.jpg

In addition, a Windows Vista Compatible Driver for NetMD and Hi-MD (*64 bit version is not supported) has been made available and can be acquired from our download section of the forum or officially from Sony. Applicable models include: MZ-NH1, MZ-NH3, MZ-NH600, MZ-NH600D, MZ-NH700, MZ-NH900, MZ-NHF800, MZ-RH1, MZ-RH10, MZ-RH710, MZ-RH910, MZ-N1, MZ-N10, MZ-N505, MZ-N510, MZ-N707, MZ-N710, MZ-N920, MZ-N910, MZ-NF610 and MZ-S1.

It is also important to note that MD Simple Burner along with CONNECT Player, WAV Conversion Tool and MP3 File Manager will not be supported under Windows Vista. Accordingly, there will be no further updates for the aforementioned software. Henceforward, Sony's music management software for its Walkman devices will be just SonicStage 4.3 under Vista environment.

And now, without further ado, MDCF presents SonicStage 4.3:

DOWNLOAD LINKS: <a href="http://dl1.aii.co.jp/contents/connect/_data/ss/ss43_01_14050/JP/SonicStageInstaller.exe">Sony Japan</a> | <a href="http://dl1.aii.co.jp/contents/connect/_data/ss/ss43_01_14050/AE/SonicStageInstaller.exe">Sony Europe</a> | <a href="http://dl1.aii.co.jp/contents/connect/_data/ss/ss43_01_14050/US/SonicStageInstaller.exe">Sony USA</a> | <a href="http://dl1.aii.co.jp/contents/connect/_data/ss/ss43_01_14050/GA/SonicStageInstaller.exe">Sony Asia-Pacific</a> | <a href="http://dl1.aii.co.jp/contents/connect/_data/ss/ss43_01_14050/JEB/SonicStageInstaller.exe">JEB</a>

New feature:

★ Microsoft Windows Vista compatibility.

Accordingly, SonicStage CP 4.3 now supports the following WALKMAN devices:

★ Hi-MD Walkman

★ Net MD Walkman

★ NW-E series

★ NW-A series

★ NW-S Series

★ NW-HD series

★ NW-MS Series

★ ATRAC CD Walkman

★ Micro System

★ All other products compatible with older SonicStage, CONNECT Player or SonicStage CP versions.

MODULE VERSION

SonicStage : 4.3.01.14050

SonicStage Add-on for Personal Audio Download : 4.3.01.14050

OpenMG Secure Module : 4.7.00.12140

MagicGate Memory Stick Device : 4.7.00.12140

NW-E2, NW-E3, NW-E5 and NW-E8P : 4.7.00.12140

OpenMG CD : 4.7.00.12140

M.S. PRO : 4.7.00.12140

CD Walkman : 4.7.00.12140

ATRAC Audio Device with Intelligent function : 4.7.00.12140

Hi-MD : 4.7.00.12140

Music Clip, NW-S4, NW-E7 and NW-E10 : 4.7.00.12140

ATRAC Audio Device : 4.7.00.12140

Net MD : 4.7.00.12140

CD-R 書き込みモジュール (Audio CD/ATRAC CD/MP3 CD) : 4.3.01.14050

Px Engine: 3.4.36.500

Edited by Ishiyoshi

I've also upgraded to SonicStage 4.3 and I'm working on Vista ultimate 32bit. My processor utilisation jumps to almost 100%. Omgjbox.exe is using all of it. While writing songs to my MD (RH10) the processor util lowers to 20%, but jumps up again when sonicstage isn't doing anything.

Are there others who recognise this?

grtz, AntarcticPL

It's a rather buggy install proces under XP. I had to restart install a few times with error messages 2051, 20697. Then finally it said install was OK and I rebooted. Then all my icons were gone on the start screen of XP and I forced another reboot. Now all seems to be fine. Ridiculous that this release was open for the public. Probably another hastily created beta release now Vista has launched.

Edited by Simon_W

Well I am sure it won't go wrong in all instances because then they wouldn't have released it at all. I just think it's not fully tested either because I never had such a problem installing a program and there is nothing odd about my configuration. Well it's a laptop with wireless Internet connection. Anyway, it all seems to function OK now.

Personally I have upgraded to this version on my XP install, and haven't experienced any problems either during install or running the program.

Works great on my XP too. I noticed that importing PCM from HI-MD no longer fails when an access error occurs on the unit, instead it starts moving the next track and prompts about the problem tracks. Nice.

Has anyone tested the NetMD driver under 64-bit Vista? Has Sony finally implemented 64-bit support for the NetMD?

Is Simple Burner still supported when used in XP? To not have this available with Vista (if that's the case) is a non-starter for me as it is the only part I use most of the time.

MD Simple Burner is still supported under XP. The SS 4.3 upgrade only upgrades the Sonic Stage components in any case and not Simple Burner.

Hi guys, the vista user again...

I'm a software tester, and with my technet plus subscription I have Vista for free. So, it was a nice thought to use my MZ-RH10 with it. As described the new sonicstage isn't working well.

I do not want to start a vista vs. MacosX topic and also do not want a "do not use Vista..." topic, just want other experiences with SS 4.3 and Vista.

So, thanks all, are there people who experience the same problems as described above.

grtz, AntarcticPL

links could need some 'fixing' :lol:

but further this seems to be welcome news as a few ppl are already installing vista

does this have anything to offer over 4.2 for non-vista users?

Until now I've always had trouble importing CD:s to my library; I'd always have to restart Sonicstage after importing a CD if I wanted to import multiple discs (Sonicstage would not recognize that I'd inserted another disc in my dvd-drive, the same thing occured with NEC, LG and Samsung drives so it was definitely a software bug).

I'd had this problem with multiple Windows installations since SonicStage 3.1.

I was glad to notice that the 4.3 version no longer suffers from this bug! :)

Edited by lemmin

The link provided by modeee in the SonicStage 4.2 thread for a US full installer appears to now link to, and work, for SonicStage 4.3. I've downloaded the file to verify the version but haven't tried to install it (the readme does say it's for 4.3):

http://sonicstage.connect.com/SS-US.zip

You may want to try messing with the "US" to see if you can get other region's versions...

Exaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaactly!!!

Vista is not necessary. Bill, you are wrong, wrong, wrong this time.

I get on quite happily with XP. However I'm more attracted to Linux than I am to Vista or OSX for that matter. . But I don't need more than XP tbh. Vista seems to be little more than a tarted up XP, since they neutered it to release it now rather than in a couple of years. More fluff than real features.

I get on quite happily with XP. However I'm more attracted to Linux than I am to Vista or OSX for that matter. . But I don't need more than XP tbh. Vista seems to be little more than a tarted up XP, since they neutered it to release it now rather than in a couple of years. More fluff than real features.

Before yet another topic turns into an off-topic os-war, I would like to remind you all that this topic is meant to discuss the release and possibly the features of SonicStage 4.3.

Sure, I'm just a beginner on this forum but I just don't see how discussing operating system preferences contributes to this topic.

Before yet another topic turns into an off-topic os-war, I would like to remind you all that this topic is meant to discuss the release and possibly the features of SonicStage 4.3.

Sure, I'm just a beginner on this forum but I just don't see how discussing operating system preferences contributes to this topic.

Thanks Lemmin ;) -As the man (?) says, strictly speaking this is a news topic pertaining to the new release of Sonic Stage. So let's keep the OS wars to a minimum.

I thought Vista support was the only new feature. So if you don't need vista, you don't need 4.3 especially if 4.2 is more stable. What other new features are there?

I thought Vista support was the only new feature. So if you don't need vista, you don't need 4.3 especially if 4.2 is more stable. What other new features are there?

I think what is relevant is the functioning of SS under Vista, not a general pros & cons discussion of the Vista OS itself.

Let me rephrase the question. So what new features are there in 4.3 on XP?

I believe the new features are outlined in the first post of the thread. (In other words there are no major new features that we can see for XP).

The only "improvement" listed on the Sony website is Vista Compatibility.

My bad.

I'm not seeing any new features. I don't think there are intentional bug fixes either. With every SS release, the new version works for some people, and doesn't work for other people. Seems to be related to random hardware/software config. Theres never any pattern to it. IMO.

BTW Did 4.2 not work on Vista? Did anyone try?

Who, in they're right mind would use MS Vista and this POS Sony software, both loaded with DRM as if there were no tomorrow ?

Sorry for my lanquage, but needed to vent a bit.

Cheers

KCT

Calm down, DRM is eliminated for all uses of SonicStage other than Connect store purchases. You know this, right? SonicStage is on par with iTunes, WMP, etc.

I'm not seeing any new features. I don't think there are intentional bug fixes either. With every SS release, the new version works for some people, and doesn't work for other people. Seems to be related to random hardware/software config. Theres never any pattern to it. IMO.

In this thread, there are already people who have noted bug fixes, including the fact that when importing multiple audio CDs, SonicStage properly refreshes when a new CD gets inserted. Also, there was some mention of the way that a bungled import doesn't freeze things up, but just skips and moves on.

I'm sure there are more bug fixes. Check out ATRAC Life, too.

In sum, there is no basis in the widespread comment (numerous times even in this thread) that the only change at all is Vista compatibility.

Calm down, DRM is eliminated for all uses of SonicStage other than Connect store purchases. You know this, right? SonicStage is on par with iTunes, WMP, etc.

In this thread, there are already people who have noted bug fixes, including the fact that when importing multiple audio CDs, SonicStage properly refreshes when a new CD gets inserted. Also, there was some mention of the way that a bungled import doesn't freeze things up, but just skips and moves on.

I'm sure there are more bug fixes. Check out ATRAC Life, too.

In sum, there is no basis in the widespread comment (numerous times even in this thread) that the only change at all is Vista compatibility.

No basis other than thats all Sony say is different. http://www.sonydigital-link.com/DNA/sonics...age_dl.asp?l=en

Though we know enough not to believe Sony, but what the community reports. So far people are saying its no different.

I'm running the older version 4.2, and don't have any of the problems mentioned so far. CD swapping etc. BTW what causes an "access error", don't think I've ever had that. The only time I've had intermittent read failures is on a old MD unit on which the laser was failing.

BTW what causes an "access error", don't think I've ever had that. The only time I've had intermittent read failures is on a old MD unit on which the laser was failing.

I have an MZ-RH10 and a couple of dozen HIMD-discs, and some of them (not all though) have occasional problems when uploading HI-SP or PCM-recordings from the disc to SonicStage; when this happens, "Access Error" is displayed on my MZ-RH10's screen and the track fails to upload further. If I retry uploading the 'problem track', it succesfully uploads (sometimes with certain discs this has required more than one retries, but in the end I have never been not able to upload tracks because of this error).

I checked the forums a bit and some other people apparently have had this problem too. Anyway, it appears that 4.3 handles this situation a bit slicker than 4.2 and the earlier versions.

Do they all have RH10's? A quick search seemed to show a lot of RH10's with this error.

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showt...0Error&st=0

If its changed I suspect its just a happy convergence of software. But maybe I'm wrong and they've intentionally fixed it. Perhaps someone looking through the code to make it vista compliant saw the poor coding that caused this and corrected the logic.

Edited by Sparky191

Does SonicStage no longer work with Windows 98 SE? I currently have version 3.4, and have not tried installing the new one yet. I'm sure there are no technical reasons why it should not work.

The readme for version 4.3 says

SonicStage is not compatible with the following Windows operating systems:

- Windows 95,

- Windows 98 Gold Edition,

- Windows 98 Second Edition,

- Windows Millennium Edition,

- Windows NT

- Any version of Windows 2000 other than Windows 2000 Professional

(such as Windows 2000 Server)

Although I haven't tried it on any of those to be honest. I generally think it would be more stable on Win2K / XP.

• 2 weeks later...

The readme for version 4.3 says

Although I haven't tried it on any of those to be honest. I generally think it would be more stable on Win2K / XP.

Just replying to those who've asked about SB on Vista.

It's not "Officially" supported on Vista (Wrong OS).

However you can often get "legacy" programs to work by using the little publicized VISTA feature -- run program in COMPATABILITY mode. You get several choices here including XP compatability mode.

Some programs will run fine as the XP compatability mode will "poodlefake" the application to think it's running on XP (or whatever compatability mode) you chose. This will force the application as well to load the XP drivers instead of the Vista one's.

I haven't had time to try this for SB but it in theory should work.

Note you will also have to run the installer itself in "Compatability Mode" otherwise the program won't install.

As for the arguments "To Vista or not to Vista" -- this is really a discussion for another forum as is how to get 32 bit legacy applications to run on 64 bit versions of Vista.

My main gripe is that any new (PC type) computer you get these days whether laptop or desktop seems to come already with VISTA installed even if you'd rather stick with XP.

Cheers

-K

I....My main gripe is that any new (PC type) computer you get these days whether laptop or desktop seems to come already with VISTA installed even if you'd rather stick with XP....

I've a mint Quadra 800 here running System 7.5.5. It would solve that problem nicely for you.