SonicStage 4.3 Arrives, Features Vista Compatibility

Christopher

My main gripe is that any new (PC type) computer you get these days whether laptop or desktop seems to come already with VISTA installed even if you'd rather stick with XP.

Cheers

-K

Not if you build it yourself. Newegg and WIn Xp Pro with SP2 FTW. :pleasantry:

I upgraded to Vista Ultimate 64-bit this weekend. Sonicstage 4.3 works under the 64-bit edition and I am able to upload/download from my HiMD unit. Windows has a Windowsx86 directory (I guess that is the 32-bit directory with drivers, etc.). Sonicstage and the associated driver got installed under that directory. My HiMD worked with the first attempt, and unlike previous versions of windows/sonicstage I was not prompted to restart my computer upon first connect.

Is there a user manual for SonicStage 4.3?

There is just the online help in .chm format as far as I'm aware. If you install the program you have access to it, otherwise if you would like a copy without having to install the app, let me know - it's not very exciting though I have to say..

There is just the online help in .chm format as far as I'm aware. If you install the program you have access to it, otherwise if you would like a copy without having to install the app, let me know - it's not very exciting though I have to say..

The online help isn't great. I wanted to learn more about the Automatic Transfer function - whether it automatically refreshes your titles if not everything fits on the player like the iPod Shuffle. It seems to be leaving the same songs on the player.

And Mac OS it's bastard ( :rtfm: or :vampire: ) of Unix :big_boss:

Unix Rulez

Y prefer a version for GNU OS but its against the culture of sony

" Against the culture of "Sony" , capitalize it and show some respect ,lol ....luv that comment ( Moderately happy Macbook owner w/Parrallels and XP)

and yes Stage will run under Parrallels .....sortof

I've a mint Quadra 800 here running System 7.5.5. It would solve that problem nicely for you.

Yep disc utility , "ERASE" ..........what ..? I'm just sayin ...dont look at me like that>>>>>>>>

Just replying to those who've asked about SB on Vista.

It's not "Officially" supported on Vista (Wrong OS).

However you can often get "legacy" programs to work by using the little publicized VISTA feature -- run program in COMPATABILITY mode. You get several choices here including XP compatability mode.

Some programs will run fine as the XP compatability mode will "poodlefake" the application to think it's running on XP (or whatever compatability mode) you chose. This will force the application as well to load the XP drivers instead of the Vista one's.

I haven't had time to try this for SB but it in theory should work.

Note you will also have to run the installer itself in "Compatability Mode" otherwise the program won't install.

As for the arguments "To Vista or not to Vista" -- this is really a discussion for another forum as is how to get 32 bit legacy applications to run on 64 bit versions of Vista.

My main gripe is that any new (PC type) computer you get these days whether laptop or desktop seems to come already with VISTA installed even if you'd rather stick with XP.

Cheers

-K

I installed SB in compatability mode in vista...vista let me install SB this way but will not let me open SB...do you have any other sugestions...or should i just install XP and if so how do i do this....

I believe the new features are outlined in the first post of the thread. (In other words there are no major new features that we can see for XP).

The only "improvement" listed on the Sony website is Vista Compatibility.

I use a fairly new VAIO laptop which came preinstalled with Sonicstage4.0CP. I did an upgrade to 4.2 last Christmas, then last week, my VAIO Update manager prompted me to download SS4.3. In the product description page, it was stated that the only differences were:

1) Vista compatibility

2) Fixed some problems.

I downloaded it anyway and did an install 2 days ago. Seems to work seemlessly and I didnt even need to make a backup of my 4.2 data for all my tracks to be migrated to 4.3. So far, no problems. :)

Is anybody here using SonicStage 4.3 in Vista ?

I'm able to install SonicStage 4.3 in vista on my PC (Which does not have legit copy of Vista {Using for trial purpose only },but SonicStage 4.3doesn't work on my friend's HP laptop who has legit version of Vista Home Premium ,Which is quite strange :blink:

SonicStage doesn't show any errors either

SonicStage 4.3.01.14050 - 22/02/2007 is the latest version.

In order to get the standalone installer (Europe):

Go to your national Sony website

Search for: "vaio support"

Choose any model vaio support site

Select: support/downloads

Select: drivers and updates

Choose main category: vaio notebooks or vaio desktops

Choose any Model Category

Choose any model

Choose your sytem

Choose your language

Go down and click: SonicStage

You got it !!!!!!

French URL: http://support.vaio.sony.fr/downloads/sele...N-FJ&m=2182

UK URL: http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/downloads/s...N-FJ&m=2182

+++

In order to get the standalone installer (USA):

Go to the Sony usa website

Search for: "vaio support"

Choose vaio support site

Choose product: computers - notebook or computers - desktop

Choose any serie

Choose any model

Select: Software/Drivers

Choose: Updates

Go down

You got it !!!!!!

USA URL: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-list....ateType=Updates

++++++++++

Apple Powermac G4 1,3 Ghz - 2 Go RAM - Mac OS X 10.4.9 fr // VPC 7.0.2 - Win 2K sp4 fr - SonicStage 4.3.01.14050 - Hi-Md renderer 0.54 // Sony MZ-RH910

++++++++++

I am just using SonicStage + Hi-Md renderer to get my Hi-Md live recordings into my Mac. For this use, all working great - no issues sofar. Of course the transfers/conversions take quite a long time, but I don't care as I am leaving that running overnight.

Owners of new Intel Macs should not have any problem with Parallels or coming VMware instead of VPC.

I cannot but repeat what a lot of people allready siad: When may we expect Sony to extend the full capabilities of Hi-MD Music Transfer for Mac to the MZ-RH10/MZ-RH910/MZ-RH710 models?

OK, I'm dreaming.

I just installed SonicStage 4.3 on Win98SE. The installer installed all of the additional components automatically (DirectX, MDAC, Windows Media, etc.)

Works fine so far, just uploaded two Hi-SP recordings and removed DRM with no problems.

Runs a bit slow though on a Pentium (just plain Pentium that is) with 40MB RAM... :D

Don't ask.

Edited by raintheory

Hi there... has anyone tried transferring a mix album (non-stop - dance music, DJ mix etc) via SS4.3 to Hi-MD!?

I recently downloaded and installed SS4.3 ... seems all my DJ mixed music library now has GAPS in between tracks when I transfer them to BOTH my RH10 and RH1!! :angry2: They play gapless on SS4.3 itself, but not so when the music sits on Hi-MD.

I can understand if the tracks were ripped from MP3s, but these music tracks were ripped directly from my CD to ATRAC3 (LP2) in SS4.0 previously. I've always rip them into LP2 as I also have a NetMD device (non ATRAC3Plus)

Is there a fix to this or should I revert back to SS4.0 (which actually worked flawlessly for me!!!)

Hi there... has anyone tried transferring a mix album (non-stop - dance music, DJ mix etc) via SS4.3 to Hi-MD!?

I recently downloaded and installed SS4.3 ... seems all my DJ mixed music library now has GAPS in between tracks when I transfer them to BOTH my RH10 and RH1!! :angry2: They play gapless on SS4.3 itself, but not so when the music sits on Hi-MD.

I can understand if the tracks were ripped from MP3s, but these music tracks were ripped directly from my CD to ATRAC3 (LP2) in SS4.0 previously. I've always rip them into LP2 as I also have a NetMD device (non ATRAC3Plus)

Is there a fix to this or should I revert back to SS4.0 (which actually worked flawlessly for me!!!)

Are you transferring the tracks "As-Is" (Standard Transfer Mode)?

EDIT: Also, are you transferring in NetMD or Hi-MD disc format?

Edited by raintheory

Hey raintheory, after some experimenting, I've found that the gaps vanished if I transferred the tracks As Is... but were there when I did a downgrade or optimise to a lower bitrate.

I'm recording on Hi-MD mode on an 80-min MD. My laptop is a SZ VAIO with Centrino Duo Core, XP Pro SP2. As far as I can recall, never had such problems in previous versions of SS.

I just installed SonicStage 4.3 on Win98SE. The installer installed all of the additional components automatically (DirectX, MDAC, Windows Media, etc.)

Works fine so far, just uploaded two Hi-SP recordings and removed DRM with no problems.

Runs a bit slow though on a Pentium (just plain Pentium that is) with 40MB RAM... :D

Don't ask.

Respect....

Too bad.. Since Hi-MD works so well with Windows XP X64 I was kinda hoping that they'd finally implement 64-bit support for NetMD too.

I have Windows Vista 64bit and I am running it now with no problems :) I have had no problems with any programs on Vista 64bit

Although I am running on 100% new hardware and software.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a user manual for SonicStage 4.3?

How do you instruct Sonic Stage v 4.3 to refresh your MD or MP3 player with new, least played or least transferred songs? It also seems that Sonic Stage will not delete or replace the songs on the player; you have to first delete them manually before transferring. It looks like it might be the dynamic playlist function, however it's not clear whether Sonic Stage can monitor the number of times you play a song on the MD or MP3 player or just the number of times you play the song on the computer. I'm guessing it's the Dynamic Playlist function, but I do not have it working properly.

No basis other than thats all Sony say is different. http://www.sonydigital-link.com/DNA/sonics...age_dl.asp?l=en

Though we know enough not to believe Sony, but what the community reports. So far people are saying its no different.

I'm running the older version 4.2, and don't have any of the problems mentioned so far. CD swapping etc. BTW what causes an "access error", don't think I've ever had that. The only time I've had intermittent read failures is on a old MD unit on which the laser was failing.

I just upgraded from 4.0 to 4.3 ... one of the

changes I noticed right away is that the track

mark shifting that had bothered me with 4.0

when uploading all the tracks on a MD with

my RH1 did not seem to be an issue any longer.

I have not been able to find a historic list of changes,

or any mention of this track mark shifting bug having

been addressed, or if my mind/computer is simply

playing tricks with me.

I just upgraded from 4.0 to 4.3 ... one of the

changes I noticed right away is that the track

mark shifting that had bothered me with 4.0

when uploading all the tracks on a MD with

my RH1 did not seem to be an issue any longer.

I have not been able to find a historic list of changes,

or any mention of this track mark shifting bug having

been addressed, or if my mind/computer is simply

playing tricks with me.

Replying to my own message, it appears I was

premature in my optimism .. 4.3 does still suffer

this problem, just for some reaosn it seems different

discs may affected.

As a solution ... is there any qualty related problem,

given the inherent SP-->256K conversion on importing,

to make a two step import ...

SP-->PCM/WAV followed by PCM/WAV-->256K?

My instincts tell me the software likely does something

like this behind the scenses anyways.

• 1 month later...

I'm also not a Vista fan --however it's almost impossible to get a new computer without VISTA being installed (also you don't get the Windows install disks anymore).

However I'm running XP Pro as a VM under VISTA using VMWARE.

MD works fine in this case as does SS 4.3 -- no probs installing it on the XP VM apart from the slow response from the SONY server.

Cheers

-K

• 6 months later...

Hi friend,

I have Hi-MD Sony Walkman. I had problem installing Sonicstage 2.6. Then i got a solution in this Forum. I tried installing but still I have a problem installing Sonic stage 4.3 in my laptop (HP Pavilion DV6226) with WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM. It reports "Installation process for SonicStage4.3 has been terminated (2051, 20698)".

Can you help me. Mail me joinstalin@yahoo.com

As promised, Sony has released a new version of SonicStage with full Microsoft Windows Vista compatibility. The new update naturally is significant for those with plans to upgrade or already have upgraded their system with Microsoft’s latest operating system, Windows Vista (Windows Vista Home Basic, Windows Vista Home Premium, Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Ultimate).+++

391198844_897127a523.jpg

In addition, a Windows Vista Compatible Driver for NetMD and Hi-MD (*64 bit version is not supported) has been made available and can be acquired from our download section of the forum or officially from Sony. Applicable models include: MZ-NH1, MZ-NH3, MZ-NH600, MZ-NH600D, MZ-NH700, MZ-NH900, MZ-NHF800, MZ-RH1, MZ-RH10, MZ-RH710, MZ-RH910, MZ-N1, MZ-N10, MZ-N505, MZ-N510, MZ-N707, MZ-N710, MZ-N920, MZ-N910, MZ-NF610 and MZ-S1.

It is also important to note that MD Simple Burner along with CONNECT Player, WAV Conversion Tool and MP3 File Manager will not be supported under Windows Vista. Accordingly, there will be no further updates for the aforementioned software. Henceforward, Sony's music management software for its Walkman devices will be just SonicStage 4.3 under Vista environment.

And now, without further ado, MDCF presents SonicStage 4.3:

DOWNLOAD LINKS: Sony Japan | Sony Europe | Sony USA | Sony Asia-Pacific | JEB

New feature:

★ Microsoft Windows Vista compatibility.

Accordingly, SonicStage CP 4.3 now supports the following WALKMAN devices:

★ Hi-MD Walkman

★ Net MD Walkman

★ NW-E series

★ NW-A series

★ NW-S Series

★ NW-HD series

★ NW-MS Series

★ ATRAC CD Walkman

★ Micro System

★ All other products compatible with older SonicStage, CONNECT Player or SonicStage CP versions.

MODULE VERSION

SonicStage : 4.3.01.14050

SonicStage Add-on for Personal Audio Download : 4.3.01.14050

OpenMG Secure Module : 4.7.00.12140

MagicGate Memory Stick Device : 4.7.00.12140

NW-E2, NW-E3, NW-E5 and NW-E8P : 4.7.00.12140

OpenMG CD : 4.7.00.12140

M.S. PRO : 4.7.00.12140

CD Walkman : 4.7.00.12140

ATRAC Audio Device with Intelligent function : 4.7.00.12140

Hi-MD : 4.7.00.12140

Music Clip, NW-S4, NW-E7 and NW-E10 : 4.7.00.12140

ATRAC Audio Device : 4.7.00.12140

Net MD : 4.7.00.12140

CD-R 書き込みモジュール (Audio CD/ATRAC CD/MP3 CD) : 4.3.01.14050

Px Engine: 3.4.36.500

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I also have problems with Vista SP1 RC refresh 2.

The moment I plug my NW-A3000 into my laptop one core of my core 2 duo consumes 100% CPU. Responsible for the high CPU load appears to be MSVCR71.dll The player doesn't appears in the transfers tab. Is there a place I can report this bug?

Screenshot: screenshot_SS.png

Regards,

Mike

Hmm, I might steer clear of SP1 for vista for the time being. So far I've had no worries whatsoever (was a clean install of both windows and sonicstage 4.3, not upgrades)

Hi everyone (long time no see)

I didn't know there was a SP1 out for Vista... or are you testing it before release?

• 2 weeks later...