Confusing info from Sony re MZ-RH1

Rate this topic

cochra1

Guys, can anyone advise me on this, as I have just bought an RH1 and am awaiting delivery.

Check out this product tour from Sony:

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowArticle.act...;site=odw_en_GB

Now look down the page to this paragraph:

Functional, attractive design

Ultra slim, compact and weighing a mere 106 grams, the MZ-RH1 slips comfortably into a handbag or breast pocket. The unit’s operating buttons have also been well thought out, and are conveniently positioned for easy and intuitive use.

The MZ-RH10 can be powered either by a single "AA" Alkaline Battery, Lithium ion Rechargeable Battery (LIP-4WM), or AC Power Adapter (AC-S508B) as supplied. It provides up to 19 Hours continuous playback with the rechargeable battery. A power level indicator also ensures fail-proof recording. Alternatively, the MZ-RH1 offers a USB Bus Power/Charging option, which means you can connect it to a PC and charge the unit through a USB cable in the absence of an AC adapter. The choice is yours.

Notice anything? It suddenly launches into a pitch about the RH10, mentioning it can be powered by an AA battery. First time I read this I was deceived into thinking the RH1 could be powered by such a battery - or is it just a typo, meaning the RH1 does take an AA?

Further into the same paragraph it advises that the RH1 can be recharged direct from a PC via the USB cable. But I have read elsewhere on this forum that charging from the PC is not possible.

Anyone in the know, please advise, thanks!

Also, I've been looking around UK sites to buy a back-up battery for the RH1, but can't find one anywhere. Any recommendations? Thanks. Andy :unknw:

Edited by KanakoAndTheNumbSkulls

Pay no attention to it. It's simply a mistake in the product description.

(This might give you a clue why Sony has had a hard time selling minidiscs, if even their marketing department don't understand (or don't care about) the features of the machines they make.) :crazy::fool:

Ok, thanks. Any suggestions as to where I obtain a battery for the RH1 in the UK?

But the RH1 can be certainly recharged direct from a PC via USB cable. and if you happen to have a Motorola RAZR charger (usb charger), this can also be used to charge the RH!. hope that helps

Thanks Rentabau.

Edited by KanakoAndTheNumbSkulls

If you don't mind there is an eBay seller selling it for real cheap. In the UK I really wouldn't know. And don't mind the typo, they happen all the time.

Thanks. After some searching I did find one company in the UK and have ordered one. There are some on ebay being offered from China at about a third the standard price. I wouldn't touch those with a barge pole, they've got to be cheap fakes, you can smell it a mile off.

Shame the only batteries I can find for the NH1 from anywhere at all are only 370 mAh capacity. I've got rechargable AA batteries at 4 times that capacity. Maybe it's cos they're so small...

There are some on ebay being offered from China at about a third the standard price. I wouldn't touch those with a barge pole, they've got to be cheap fakes, you can smell it a mile off.

They're cheap, alright, and there has been some debate as to whether they're fake, as in not made by Sony. I don't think anyone can do more than guess if they're either made by some generic battery factory with a Sony label put on it, or are original Sony produced batteries, which somehow found their way out of the factory through 'unofficial distribution chains'.

Fact is, though, that quite a number of people have reported on this and other forums that they work fine.

Shame the only batteries I can find for the NH1 from anywhere at all are only 370 mAh capacity. I've got rechargable AA batteries at 4 times that capacity. Maybe it's cos they're so small...

You can't directly compare mAh of batteries with different voltages, but you can calculate the capacity (in watthours) by multiplying the voltage with amperehours. The LIP-4WM's capacity is comparable to a 1.2V rechargeable with approx. 1140 mAh according to this simple calculation:

3.7V x 370 mAh = 1369 mWh

1369 mWh / 1.2V = 1141 mAh