Do different battery types affect output sound?

Rate this topic

pgross

Do different kinds of battery such as rechargeble and normal alkalines affect the output sound of an md player?

Not at all. As long as the machine gets its required power supply - whether from a rechargable, an alkaline, or even via a mains adaptor - the sound output will be exactly the same.

The only thing that matters is that it gets the correct voltage. Even then, if it works, it works - you won't hear any difference in sound by varying the voltage a little. But generally the wrong voltage (particularly if too low, as I understand it) may cause damage to the circuitry and cause the machine to cease to work.

Bottom line is it'll either work or it won't, but there is no in-between effects to the sound or output. That's digital electronics for you.

Edited by KanakoAndTheNumbSkulls

A too low voltage won't damage any circuits, but a too high v. could (if there's no protection circuit). I've read about someone frying his unit by using a too high voltage (via the DC in). A wrong polarity can also be deadly.

Alkalines typically have a higher inner resistance. Their voltage might be higher under low load, but when it comes to a higher drainage, the voltage will drop quite noticeably (which is why they're quite fast exhausted when used in high power consuming devices like digital cameras and such). Ni-MH (and Ni-CD) are more stable, their voltage won't drop quite as much when under load.

Edited by greenmachine

A too low voltage won't damage any circuits, but a too high v. could (if there's no protection circuit). I've read about someone frying his unit by using a too high voltage (via the DC in). A wrong polarity can also be deadly.

Alkalines typically have a higher inner resistance. Their voltage might be higher under low load, but when it comes to a higher drainage, the voltage will drop quite noticeably (which is why they're quite fast exhausted when used in high power consuming devices like digital cameras and such). Ni-MH (and Ni-CD) are more stable, their voltage won't drop quite as much when under load.

Cool. I heard from a guy in a music shop that too low a voltage can cause damage (rather than too high) - but it does sound illogical to my uneducated ears, so I'm sure you're probably right!

Cool. I heard from a guy in a music shop that too low a voltage can cause damage (rather than too high) - but it does sound illogical to my uneducated ears, so I'm sure you're probably right!

From what I know too low of a voltage only affects flash memory. Supposedly corrupts the data, but don't take my word for it.

• 2 weeks later...

From experience with Portable CD players in the past. The DAC in CD players didn't have quite the output and resolution with 1.2 V NiCads as opposed to 1.5 V alkaline batteries. The DAC couldn't process quality sound and output level at the same time in older portables and using a 1.2 V batteries didn't help back then. I don't know if it is true with MD but to be on the safe side (of output/sound) I have used rechargeable alkalines in my older players. With the new Hi-MD players your not really afforded such luxury.