Recording on an 80 Min MD in Hi-MD

Rate this topic

Gregor

What format do most of you guys use to record in Hi-MD mode on a 80 min MD.

I think that PCM would be out of the question. Would you use HiLP or HiSP.

I have just thought about using my 80s and 74s with my Hi-MD unit and one thing that came to mind was - what were/are the pre recorded albums that we used to buy and play on our MD units recorded in? If they were PCM, then obviously they were only for 28 minutes or so. That's not enough for a whole album.

So did they use ATRAC, and if so, what speed ATRAC was used? What speed ATRAC3 is used now on prerecorded Hi-MD albums (which I am sure you could still buy in Japan)?

What will allow CD like quality on these small volume discs like the 80s and the 74s?

Edited by GregorMD

Prerecorded MDs were recorded in SP mode, which is 292 kbps ATRAC and although lossy compressed widely considered as (very close to) transparent quality (indistinguishable from the original). When using Hi-MD (in Hi-MD mode) and transferring via software, you are by no means limited to Hi-LP (64kbps A3+), Hi-SP (256kbps A3+) and PCM (1411kbps) (as with real-time recording). There is also 352 (A3+), 192 (A3+), 132 (A3), 105 (A3), 66(A3) and 48 (A3+) kbps. Hi-SP is about the quality of the older SP mode and considered as very good compressed quality, but in the end your ears will decide what sounds good to you.

* A3 = Atrac 3 (introduced in NetMD times, older)

A3+ = Atrac 3 plus (HiMD codec)