Using regular MD's on Hi-MD player

Rate this topic

Totalrod2

My music collection is currently stored on 70-75 regular minidiscs. I know these newer Hi-MD players will allow me to listen to them. But will it also enamble me to transfer those older discs to my computer? (I hope so!!) When I started recording in this format a few years ago, I had no idea that it would become obsolete so soon. If my music can't be transferred or uploaded to another medium, I'm screwed, because those are the only copies I have. Any info is appreciated.

Bryan

The MZ-RH1 is currently the only Hi-MD recorder that will transfer these older recordings to your PC. However, bear in mind that it will not transfer recordings that were made with a previous version of SonicStage or OpenMG. Only recordings made in realtime via Line-In or Microphone can be uploaded.

Whew!!

Luckily I used the "Line-in" for everything. My entire record collection was put onto those minidiscs. If MD's ever become obsolete someday I want to make sure I'll be able to transfer this music onto something else. That takes a load off my mind.

Bryan

According to Dictionary.com, the first definition for obsolete is:

1. no longer in general use; fallen into disuse.

So, technically MD's HAVE become obsolete.

there are still lots of people who use standard md mode on hi-md recorders. therefore it is not obsolete.

As long as MD works, people will still find uses for it. The rest of the world may get drawn into new technologies, and the latest 'in-thing', but I like older more down to earth products that do their job just fine. Of course no format is perfect though so maybe find what works best for you.

As long as MD works, people will still find uses for it. The rest of the world may get drawn into new technologies, and the latest 'in-thing', but I like older more down to earth products that do their job just fine. Of course no format is perfect though so maybe find what works best for you.

I still stand behind what I said... MD is NOT in "general" use, which to me means common in society. I suppose anyone could argue if ONE person on the planet uses it daily it is getting general use, but I think you get my point.

And believe me, I stand behind MD 100% and plan to use it for a long time... you're talking to a guy who has 11 HiMD portables and 1 HiMD deck here folks.

theblueraja, you are exactly right! Most of us do stand behind [Hi]MD, and are going to use whatever devices are available for a long time. Not that SONY is going to give us any serious chance, since even the RH1 is REALLY glitchy (if taken seriously)! Believe a person who's been through all its service menus...