Who owns the MZ-RH1?

Rate this topic

sharpsony

Who owns the MZ-RH1?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Dou YOU own the MZ-RH1?

• Yes, I do.
    • No, I don't.

I just bought an MZ-RH1 and it's great but I think there could be a problem.

If I use the jog lever on the unit or remote to select the next track there is an audible click just before the track starts.

This is annoying, please advise if I should return the unit as faulty or this normal.

Many thanks from Reg Price

If I use the jog lever on the unit or remote to select the next track there is an audible click just before the track starts.

Which music format are you using? Some MP3 files may lead to such clicks, and this is not an indication of a unit malfunction. However, ATRAC files should not normally cause such clicks. But again, this may depend on the music itself. Non-stop albums may produce clicks when selecting tracks in some situations.

Which music format are you using? Some MP3 files may lead to such clicks, and this is not an indication of a unit malfunction. However, ATRAC files should not normally cause such clicks. But again, this may depend on the music itself. Non-stop albums may produce clicks when selecting tracks in some situations.

I just got a replacement MZ RH1 unit and it does the same thing so maybe this is normal. I'm amazed that nobody else has heard it.

As I said before, when I slide the jog lever to change tracks, just before the track plays there is an audible "pop". Please note this is a split second before the music plays and is a much lower volume. I even hear it with the volume turned down.

I'm not using mp3 but atrac tracks. I've even tried older minidiscs as well as a 1GB HD-MD and the sound is still there.

I'm going to connect it up to my hi fi to see what happens and also try copying a track to another MD machine to see if it's still there.

I'm equally amazed - that you consider this noise significant. Makes me think you listen to a lot of silent tracks.

Yes, I agree with you that there is something there. But I have never noticed it, and it would never bother me, even now it's been pointed out.

Thanks for your replies. I'm glad others have heard the "pop" sound and I agree it should not happen. I hear it on the supplied headphones and my Sennheiser PX100 headphones. I don't hear it when I connect through my hi fi using line out or headphones out which is very strange. I know it's only a small sound and I should really get over it.

I used to own a MZ-910 which I loved until my house was burgled so the MZ RH-1 is a replacement. It has some really nice features but it's a shame about the poor connection to a Mac computer. I wish this could be resolved so I could upload some of my old minidisc tracks.

• 2 weeks later...

I can hear the pop as well. EXTREMELY faint two pops during the skip. First pop is when you initiate the skip. Second pop is when the skip is completed (i.e. when the track starts to play).

It seems to be depending on the quality or the sensitivity of the headphone / earphones. On my ATH-Pro700, I couldn't hear a thing. But on both e4c and SE530, I was about to hear it.

Setup: Beep off, volume zero, SP minidisc inserted, battery powered, audio out set to headphone, used without the wired remote.

Well I think we established there's a double 'pop' when you change track on the MZ-RH1. I must say that I contacted Sony and they didn't have much to say about this so it must be a design fault. Shame. It's also a shame that I can't transfer old MD tracks to my Apple Mac but I'll have to live with this.

Another issue I have is when you record from a source via line in. On other minidisc machines I go into record then pause to check sound levels before I record. On the MZ-RH1 when I do this I get an extra track with no duration. I hope I made myself clear so how do others overcome this problem?

Another issue I have is when you record from a source via line in. On other minidisc machines I go into record then pause to check sound levels before I record. On the MZ-RH1 when I do this I get an extra track with no duration. I hope I made myself clear so how do others overcome this problem?

I usually press pause and then slide the record button. This doesn't produce that empty track. I guess the RH1 is quicker with starting the recording.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi to all here!

I do own the MZ-RH1 and it has solved my long problem of copying my legacy MD's to PC. I also proud to say that I bought the very first MZ-1 in 1992 and various other MD players since. But I feel there is a need to say something about the MD in general, in responce to posts I see here about the cost comparison to an iPod etc. I also own an iPod (recently changed to an iPhone).

When I got my first MD unit (the MZ-1) iPods did not exist. Then iPods and othe MP3 players have come alive but I have never for a single moment dared to compare the MD to any MP3 player! I hope that most of you here will agree that the MD as a format was NEVER intented to replace any other format except maybe the TAPE!

This is WHY the sales of the MD have never picked up! Because, when it first came out, Sony, never openly said that the MD format is the "Digital Ages'" replacement of TAPE! They just left it hanging for people to make their own judjment! And it all went WRONG!

The MD is a fantastic format, was never intented to replace the CD. It HAS near CD quality, (MP3 is worst format and was rushed in the market and never completed - ever!).

The MD is the perfect companion of a serious (seperates) Hi-Fi system. Can also be a portable player and as such was the fisrt in the market with near CD quality.

What we NEED is to pressurize SONY to re-invent the MD and not to compare it with the MP3 format or iPod or any portable player!

What happened here is exactly what is happening today with FACEBOOK! Todays clueless teens are using FACEBOOK to email each other instead of using email! Does this mean that companies should stop email all together? NO!

Then SONY wake UP! Put a VOICE behind the best device you have ever made and fight! Do not let clueless people compare the marvel that is called MiniDisc to iPod or any MP3 player! It does SO much MORE

We also need to see a full size Hi-Fi Hi-MD deck! Otherwise the MiniDisk WILL die!

George

Sad to say this, George: but much as I love MD (w/ huge collection of players, recorders, decks and car gear) Sony has moved on.

MP3 is crap but it's a standard. Sony still makes some very nice devices such as the PCM-M10 and ICD-SX750, and believe it or not, have learned from their mistakes by avoiding DRM on these devices, as well as including "compatibility" with MP3, WAV, and drag-drop.

Check out some of my recent postings (on my ID under profile, then Recent posts). You may be surprised. I was.

Welcome to the forums!

Stephen

Sad to say this, George: but much as I love MD (w/ huge collection of players, recorders, decks and car gear) Sony has moved on.

MP3 is crap but it's a standard. Sony still makes some very nice devices such as the PCM-M10 and ICD-SX750, and believe it or not, have learned from their mistakes by avoiding DRM on these devices, as well as including "compatibility" with MP3, WAV, and drag-drop.

Check out some of my recent postings (on my ID under profile, then Recent posts). You may be surprised. I was.

Welcome to the forums!

Stephen

Hi Steve and thank you for the reply. MD is not a voice recorder really... is it? No? Once again like Facebook is not email! (going back to to todays know it all teens that trying to do eveything on the cheap)! CHEAP is what comes to mind!

What I am trying to say is: Sony and many other makes are still making TAPE decks! WHY? Because, when even in 2010, when you are building a Hi-Fi system, you still need tape. Why? Because people still have tapes and also people like to record as well not only to take their music on the go but to record from radio, anything from music that is has never been released on CD's to the news, to something important to them! Why is the MD been shut out from this?

So Sony has not moved on from tape but has moved on from the MD? This is obsurd! This is because people of today are more interested on having their music on the move copy (even illegaly) and nothing more. I have been in to AV since a teenager. Also a DJ in the mid 80's and learned from one of the number 1 DJ in the world in the mid-80's with some of the most famous Madona re-mixes...

And AV is not just music to listen to in the car on on the road. Is also being able to make a home/small studio recordings on a versatile format! (and what is better than the MD for this)?

You will say make a CD... Really? Do I need to remind the benefits of the MD, like editing withour software? Protective case? Re-recordable? Small? Transportable? Better than tape? Why are we all stuck on the MP3 etc etc

I am a big fan of MP3... or Should I say AAC? Even a bigger fun of iTunes (I do not think that ANY music management softeare will ever be better from any point of view)

But the MiniDisk is not comparable with ANY of these formats! What you really saying is because we now have MP3 and HDD recording devices, we should completely get rid of LP's CD's TAPE's MD's DAT's REEL to REEL and every other format that is not MP3? Should I throw my Technics SL-1210MK in the bin????? I do not think so!

Such thinking doomed the MiniDisk from day one! Plus the fact that it nver launched in the US just because it was expensive!!!! Please! Why is the US the only controller of our lifes???? Not sure!

Sorry, but we keep missing the point that MD (and now Hi-MD) is a non-comparable format!!! Full stop!

And if Sony is still making TAPE decks then they should make Hi-MD decks! So they supporting the Philips format and they are not supporting theirs?

Appologies, but i still do not agree!

George

What would be very interesting is if Sony now make SP uploads a reality. There are profitable motives to do it. Tascam continue to produce professional MD decks, and other companies in Japan like Kenwood and Onkyo continue to produce consumer MD units that use this codec. The portable RH1 which also records natively in SP is in limbo admittedly, I am not exactly sure what is the future on it. There would need to be some portable support because the whole idea of MD is to have music on the go.

So here's a thought....If another iteration of the MD technology was being considered, Sony may actually dump the Hi-MD format altogether and improve on the SP format side. It would be like a fresh sheet of paper as the codec is probably less restrictive and they could get it right from day one this time. It shouldn't be that inconceivable to have magneto-optical technology that can go up to 16gb on a single minidisc (though I have read that, theoretically, 5gb would be the limit).

Thoughts anyone?

My feeling is that they have already done it with flash and LPEC. I don't think it's likely to go back and revisit MD, all those factories got shut down, is my understanding.

SP uploads are a reality with the linux-minidisc project. Not sure if Sony cares enough, because with LPEC you have full drag/drop and no DRM.

• 5 months later...

Is it a wise idea to pick up a spare MZ-RH1 whilst they are still available (thinking they may rocket in price when phased out) or will the used or new supply satisfy the market for a good time to come?

Not that I can afford to just buy on a whim, but I am wondering what with the VAT rise and Sony not supporting the format very strongly if picking up a spare and leaving it boxed would be a good idea. Out of interest, how do they rate sonics wise as a standard MD player (headphones and line out)? I have tried comparing to my MZ-R50, but my headphones are colouring the sound so my tests are not the best. Really need to try with some top cans...

Sony will never cease production of the RH1, trust me. There is no other format that can do what the minidisc is able to do.

I was in my local Sony store the other day. On the wall was a huge sign that read "Audio / Minidisc". Yes, Minidisc. That shows how much the bosses still admire this unique creation. It is a totally unique format, will always be superior to MP3, gapless, unrivalled in editable operations, and ....it's just special.

Don't buy one, buy ten.

I agree with NickyJay!

I have three units, two in boxes and never used. I use my silver one daily for listening via line out setting driving my HeadAmp and Grados or Senn 650s. It sounds kick ass. I will say that I absolutely love the sound of my R50s and optically recorded SP with the same amp/cans. It rivals the sound of the RH1 for sure, but it is limited to SP only, still love it.

The Japanese one is silver, the UK one is black.

The Japanese one has a slightly higher headphone output at 5mW, while I believe the UK one is limited at 4.8mW - however the latter can be undone through a rather complicated hack which may still be found somewhere on this forum. I don't think it makes a big difference to risk the hack myself.

Go and get the black one, now!