News regarding new Hi-MD models. Has anyone heard anything?

Rate this topic

THIS SUCKS

as i have said since 2006 It is expected Sony to release a special Hi-md or/And Net-md to celebrate the 15Th Anniversary of minidisc 1992-2007= 15 years

If sony are going to release another Hi-md ever it will defently be this year and it will be a Special anniversary modell so i am expecting something special.

And even if Sony wants to Quit minidisc they may still release special 15th Aniversary modell this year before it.

Of course there is nothing official of this yet but considering is 15th anniversary of minidisc is my guess Sony will do something at least they should.

Edited by richyhu

Heh, 15th anniversary model... You think so? I can't really see it myself - 15th is not really as big a deal as 10th or 20th anniversary. But I love your optimism and I hope to be proved wrong :D

In exception of md, considering 15 years is a long time so let us all appreciate it instead. I'm not trying to make an argumental

topic here richyhu but I am also just trying to be optimistic as well. I wouldn't mind seeing a Hi-MD deck that record PCM with optical/coax output on it with capable of dubbing CD to MD with it...I can only hope.

has anyone heard anything about new hi-md models! there must be some info by now!

Hello everyone . I have a Guitar student who teaches english at guess where?/............Yep Sony engineering dept.

Now I cannot completely verify this , but , from what I understand one of the designers of the RH-1 said to him , he felt very strongly that the RH-1 was going to be the last major investment into the portable MD's . Sony dumped alot of money into the last three designs and the did not see the returns needed to spur the impetus to design more. Over here in Japan , the market is saturated and MD is thought of as an accessorie not a nessessity, the MP3 player market is in the middle of the biggest explosion I have ever seen . Sony IS on that bandwagon, there will probably be some new players (MD) and maybe even a scaled down recorder or two , but I think Sony is going to let this one drop.

Anyone of you who has visited Japan , and know about Yodobashi Camera , or Akihabara ...you know what I am saying here.

for those of you who havent been here , it is crazy man. it is a madhouse. So many friggin Gadjets you could not name them all .

Edited by Guitarfxr

Hello everyone . I have a Guitar student who teaches english at guess where?/............Yep Sony engineering dept.

Now I cannot completely verify this , but , from what I understand one of the designers of the RH-1 said to him , he felt very strongly that the RH-1 was going to be the last major investment into the portable MD's . Sony dumped alot of money into the last three designs and the did not see the returns needed to spur the impetus to design more. Over here in Japan , the market is saturated and MD is thought of as an accessorie not a nessessity, the MP3 player market is in the middle of the biggest explosion I have ever seen . Sony IS on that bandwagon, there will probably be some new players (MD) and maybe even a scaled down recorder or two , but I think Sony is going to let this one drop.

Anyone of you who has visited Japan , and know about Yodobashi Camera , or Akihabara ...you know what I am saying here.

for those of you who havent been here , it is crazy man. it is a madhouse. So many friggin Gadjets you could not name them all .

I'm confused... first you say the RH-1 was the LAST major investment, then you say "there will probably be some new players (MD) "... so would that be a MINOR investmeant, meaning cheaper models or what?

Could you possibly elaborate a bit? In what ways does the RH-1 agree with Mac?

Meaning it works with mac using specific software that Sony provided for mac. Still doesn't work with SS but with Hi-MD Wav for mac, I think thats what the software called. There is a broad of information on it somewhere as to what file can be loaded to mac and what not. I have a G4 PB and I use this with RH1. It is a fair program and at least Minidisc is not totally crippled from using mac.

I'm confused... first you say the RH-1 was the LAST major investment, then you say "there will probably be some new players (MD) "... so would that be a MINOR investmeant, meaning cheaper models or what?

I think he means that the RH1 may be the last major investment as far as design and engineering improvements. If new flagship recorders were to be made, they would most likely be based on the RH1 with little change other than cosmetic. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Still, as he said he cannot confirm it.

I think he means that the RH1 may be the last major investment as far as design and engineering improvements. If new flagship recorders were to be made, they would most likely be based on the RH1 with little change other than cosmetic. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Still, as he said he cannot confirm it.

All the features of these recorders were designed for a niche market , on the fly recording level etc . Right now Sony is losing a LOT of money actually on the PS3's (Playstations) they are losing about 300 dollars per unit , the cost of manufacturing is way above the market value. In my comment If you read it again you will notice i said " Scaled Down" recorder .....meaning exactly that ..no cool stuff , for example the MZ B10 does not have Rec level adjustment at all , none, zero you have mic sens but that is it, you get what you get.

Sony made the mistake of hedging there bets in the Game Console market because there IS a lot of money there , but there is also a lot of competition. There up untill recently wasnt any real Competition for the MD ...it was Sony's baby. Not anymore. Panasonic , Kenwood, Audio Technica, Onkyo (very nice by the way) Panasonic has a new Business model out here in Japan that rivals the Stereo Bus. model B-100 by Sony on the price end by over 150 dollars difference.

That is why I also said If you had been to Japan and see what I see every day . ........ Sony is repositioning itself , it has to It's tv market is in trouble, Panasonic and Sharp , and the new "Made in Taiwan and Korea" stuff is eating away at them . The MD market was their way of saying " Thanks Guys we are glad you like us" They have made hardly ANY money on the MD market since it began.

The iPod has , it has basically made so much money that Apple could reinvent itself , ( and no I dont own an iPod , everyone here does tho)

The MP3 player / recorder market is about to basically kill the MD market . ther will be MD's ,......there just wont be anything "New"

MD in Japan , is becoming the Tape of the US . On the trains which carry so many friggin people a day here , you might see 1000 of them with MD , everyone else is wearing a Rio or an iPod.

to the guy who said Sony Must be making money on MD ..... they dont . they never really have, broke even ...Maybe, some models the lost their shirt. The cost of tooling for forms , design , and engineering is enourmous, then the Marketing , then distribution. and the Stores have to be Willing to put them in the store ( which means Sony has to provide "Incentive")

I am glad this board is here , Dont take m wrong , I loved Sony stuff since the first portable back in the 70's ( a little radio, just before the Walkman) Had the pro tape gear , I remember the day the first MD recorder came out, had a guitar student at Lighthouse electronics in Monterey Cali. and he was begging me to try it , I was Blown away, I am sitting there playing and he purposely DROPPED it on the carpeted floor while it was recording. and then play it back , I couldnt beleive it , the Holy Grail.

Portable Digital Audio, I remember saying ,"Dude DAT , and Tape are dead " yesterday I was at a music store , not a pawn shop , retail store, and there was a Yamaha MTX 4R dual speed 4 Track full EQ ,DBX NR,and mixing board Tape deck , with case in practically NEW condition ............for 39 dollars ,

Sony isnt investing any more money into MD , they will use what they have.

Edited by Guitarfxr

Guitarfxr thanks for your opinion, if what you say is true why do you think Sony made the RH1?

Companys will not release technology that makes an instant loss unless those losses can be recoupted from related sales, ie PS3 losses recoupted from games sales.

I dont believe for a minute that Sony has never made any money from minidisc, from the mid 90s to the early/mid 2000s they were selling millions of units a year , even in 2004 they sold over 2.5 million units.

Minidisc is no longer a player in the portable audio market , that much is true and i dont see it making a Vinyl like comeback but it has a market at the moment amongst its loyal fanbase and anyone wanting a cheap , sturdy and effective recording solution.

Edited by doomlordis

Guitarfxr thanks for your opinion, if what you say is true why do you think Sony made the RH1?

Companys will not release technology that makes an instant loss unless those losses can be recoupted from related sales, ie PS3 losses recoupted from games sales.

I dont believe for a minute that Sony has never made any money from minidisc, from the mid 90s to the early/mid 2000s they were selling millions of units a year , even in 2004 they sold over 2.5 million units.

Minidisc is no longer a player in the portable audio market , that much is true and i dont see it making a Vinyl like comeback but it has a market at the moment amongst its loyal fanbase and anyone wanting a cheap , sturdy and effective recording solution.

I was at Yamada Denki today and saw that the MZ-B100 , one of their nicest recorders Built in stereo mics the works , Discontinued, I snapped a shot and will post it later , it was priced at 18,800 yen , that is 165 US dollars or so

I have worked as a representative for ZOOM , before Sampson bought them out , if you are a guitar player , you will know just How popular ZOOM was before the buyout .

I think maybe you might not have a complete grasp of Marketing and R&D cost and middle man expenses . Sony doesnt sell hardly anything direct , except at Sony Outlets, the wholesale market is cruel , have you ever worked in the Wholesale or retail management ?

you have the price tag, then the sale price , then the DEEP discount , the Store still makes 10% at the deep discount , unless the Item has been discountinued then it is sold for what the Store had to PAY for it, now you figure what the Retail stores had to PAY for the MD's then add in the middleman ,shipping cost , and marketing ,R&D , SONY breaks even , and in some cases lose 20 % or more,

Sony Makes the money in the Bigger ticket items , Home entertainment , and The Music that you Buy from them , The artist on Sony label get 25-36% the rest goes to marketing , production and Sony .

The Gadjet Items Sony makes because of the "Cool Factor" just to be able to do something that someone else hasnt done , and that is exactly why I like Sony so much, They didnt give a crap what others thought and did what was cool.

nuff said?

your talking out your arse, nuff said...

Are you privy to Sonys financial results for each product, no.

Do R+D , marketing costs only apply to minidiscs? No , all the overheads Sony have for minidisc apply to TVs, Laptops etc so i dont see that they can be counting on them for profits.

You heard this from a bloke with a guitar - must be true.

You dont see many minidiscs around where you live, Sony must never have made any money out of them then.

Please support your claims with some evidence..

The RH1 and NH1 share the same DC Motor, spindle, etc , they are about 75% the same unit, theres not much R+D needed with Minidisc now and Sonys marketing spend is minimal (as we all know).

I remember reading a quote from Tracey Farrington saying that 2001 was Minidiscs most profitable year.

Edited by doomlordis

has anyone heard anything about new hi-md models! there must be some info by now!

I can't add much to this topic, but just in case nobody else has seen this site (Japanese only though

http://www2.jp.onkyo.com/product/products....en&count=15

As you can see, Onkyo must be avid supporters of Hi-MD (even more so than Sony?!), there's quite a few units there, including the much vaunted 105FX, and 133, which Audiocubes sell.

your talking out your arse, nuff said...

Are you privy to Sonys financial results for each product, no.

Do R+D , marketing costs only apply to minidiscs? No , all the overheads Sony have for minidisc apply to TVs, Laptops etc so i dont see that they can be counting on them for profits.

You heard this from a bloke with a guitar - must be true.

You dont see many minidiscs around where you live, Sony must never have made any money out of them then.

Please support your claims with some evidence..

The RH1 and NH1 share the same DC Motor, spindle, etc , they are about 75% the same unit, theres not much R+D needed with Minidisc now and Sonys marketing spend is minimal (as we all know).

I remember reading a quote from Tracey Farrington saying that 2001 was Minidiscs most profitable year.

and in 2001 Sony still did have much compitition, as the statement from dural mentions , and as I said ,now they do, And by the way doomlordis, I live three train stations away from one of Sony's main centers ( 30 min bike ride) And I live IN JAPAN , the Gadjet Meca.

Sony made a Buttload of money on the Walkman series for only the mainstream models , sold billions of the MAINstream models.

But how many of the PRO decks did they actually sell , TCD 5M , WMD 6C , etc, those were niche market items , and cost them a lot of money to produce, I have been in Audio Production since before Tapco became Makie.

Audio gear I know a little bit .

I have a Guitar Student , that teaches english in Sony's engineering dept. He has been there for the past three years, has a working relationship with the guys there,and when an engineer or designer says " I dont thnk we will be doing this much more,I really think the RH1 will be the last one" I dont think thats talkin out my ear dude .

Sony started it in 1979 ......where you there? I was.

http://pocketcalculatorshow.com/walkman/sony/

Dont get me wrong , I am not bashing Sony , everyMD i have owned has been Sony , A LOT more than what is on my sig below.

Of the PRO decks(Tape) I have had quite a few , Marantz, Sony, Onkyo, used a lot of them.

What I am saying is the market is changing, and other companies have picked up that flag and are flying it quite well.

Will Sony STop MD altogether,......Probably not , to much invested, .............will the invest ANYMORE .......probably not ......to much invested.

TC

Edited by Guitarfxr

I think that in about 5 years they will start to give us some car systems and home decks. Reason is, when Hi-MD comes out in that fashion, old MD will be obsolete. So they are waiting until the old MD market has well and truly dried up and have recouped enough by way of costs. Then they will introduce the new Hi-MD units.

I think that in about 5 years they will start to give us some car systems and home decks. Reason is, when Hi-MD comes out in that fashion, old MD will be obsolete. So they are waiting until the old MD market has well and truly dried up and have recouped enough by way of costs. Then they will introduce the new Hi-MD units.

I could agree with that , just the Pro gear , is going to change , Korg MR1 is a prime example of where it is going

http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_n...p;category_id=3

The Korg is intetersting but pricey. For now the RH1 is admirable. If the engineer your English student is talking to knows SONY's marketing strategy, a possibility, things do not look good for MD. But that is how it has been for a long time. I just hope they make the RH1 for a while. Worst case scenario is that I buy one or two as they production is stopped. I like the little bugger. I can learn how the controls work. And did! It is small, efficient, makes good PCM recordings and is pleasing to the eye. If it cooked I would marry it. ;o)

Lets just sit back and see what SONY comes up with. They are masters at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. I hope they do not let us down, again.

Thanks for your input for gadget heaven, Japan, the mecca of all gadget freaks and lovers of "cute." B)

Edited by boojum

If it cooked I would marry it. ;o)

Lets just sit back and see what SONY comes up with. They are masters at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. I hope they do not let us down, again.

If it Cooked I would Marry it ......LOL right on , dude , those sentiments are I think widely accepted.

The Korg is just an example of where portable recording is going , in the Pro field , Hardisk and Flash based are going to be the new standard. Already are in some cases.

Just a Quick look at Flash Based recorders or Hardisk Based recorders , will confirm that. there are soooo many of them now and a new one being developed every ten minutes. ( generically speaking )

Just two facts in support (or refutation):

1. SONY Hi-MD team is still reworking the firmware of the RH1. Currently they are at 1.090. Do you remember any other [Hi]-MD unit with firmware being changed in time? This may mean that some development is taking place, and the RH1 is being as a testbed. (But then again this may mean that they have a person who just types increasing numbers into RH1 firmwares to keep minidisc.org people interested).

2. Since August 2006, sonystyle.ru used to offer the RH1 for ordering for a couple of hours every fortnight (or month). The item was unavailable any other time. Currently they have it available for ordering for five days continuously (for $290). Looks like a clearance sale to make room for a new one, or a change in the marketing strategy for the RH1. (But then again it may mean that they are making room for the NW-A808).

Edited by Avrin

From what I read, the NW-A808 is just a player. How will that replace a recorder/player?? B)

1. SONY Hi-MD team is still reworking the firmware of the RH1. Currently they are at 1.090. Do you remember any other [Hi]-MD unit with firmware being changed in time? This may mean that some development is taking place, and the RH1 is being as a testbed. (But then again this may mean that they have a person who just types increasing numbers into RH1 firmwares to keep minidisc.org people interested).

2. Since August 2006, sonystyle.ru used to offer the RH1 for ordering for a couple of hours every fortnight (or month). The item was unavailable any other time. Currently they have it available for ordering for five days continuously (for $290). Looks like a clearance sale to make room for a new one, or a change in the marketing strategy for the RH1. (But then again it may mean that they are making room for the NW-A808).

I am not sure what reworking the firmware amounts to. Also, it does not seem possible for the user to update the firmware, at this time. If they come up with some whiz-bang improvements I sure hope they put an executable out there for us to catch up with.;

I have been a SONY whore for 40+ years. I love their stuff and think of them frst when it comes gadget/toy time. B)

...The cost of tooling for forms , design , and engineering is enourmous, then the Marketing , then distribution. and the Stores have to be Willing to put them in the store ( which means Sony has to provide "Incentive")

You make some very interesting points. For a while there, Sony was radically changing design, form factor, features, etc. for every release - and I wondered how much they must be spending to do that (with increasingly diminishing returns). When you think about say, a cassette deck - how much did that really change over the years? Sure they added some features - but basically, the last generation of cassette decks adhered to the same standards and provided more or less the same features as the first generation. MD kept introducing new features, codecs, etc. with almost every release - and I think that caused a lot of confusion and obviously cost an enormous amount of money in R&D, production, etc. I would say marketing but there has been none in the US since 2000, as far as I can remember.

BTW - your comments on Japan being the "gadget capital" are interesting. I have a 9 year-old boy who loves Pokemon, Digimon, video games, etc. and Japan to him is a kind of sacred place - it is the origin of almost all of his favorite things. Just a very different perspective from when I was growing up.

Edited by mmp64

All this about there being less development may not mean the end, afterall, millions of CD players are still sold and apart from minor developments like the unsuccessful "HDCD" it has pretty much remained the same technology wise for a long time (ok, each company puts their own DACs in but you know what I mean).

I just want them to produce a standalone Hi-Fi deck for Hi-MD. Then they can do what they want.

I expect there will be a lot of cut-backs in all sections of Sony to make up for the farce that is Playstation 3. All of the problems Sony have caused themselves. I heard a rumour that it will only play some existing PS2 titles, and has a special chip in it to prevent others being played. WHY?!

Edited by MDGB2

I love the Safari Tab command "Command T" I copied and pasted the NW-A808 into google to take a look . Nice peice, and yes that is partially what I was talking about , Everything is centered around downloadable music now , and live recording is such a niche market, I just dont think that Sony wil make any BIG investments into any Middle High ground recording gear , (RH1 being the example ) it will get cleanly divided into two divisions , consumer gear , and full blown Pro gear Sony does have a large market in the Pro Audio field , and Video Production , over half of TV Studio equipment is Sony, that is substantial, they cannot afford to give that up.

I appreciate that this subject is being explored like it is , From the US or Euro centric view it is hard to see the trouble that Sony is in , but living here in Japan and seeing how " New"itis effects society here , Sony has to follow the market that is here to survive. The Market here does not revolve around us audiofiles who like to capture everything we hear. Society here is very fast paced , I have gone out on Garbage days , and found COMPLETE perfect condition Computers , Audio Systems, TV's , whatever, the new thing comes out , it is almost mandatory that the Japanese family or person goes and buy's it. the "old" stuff Goes immediately to " Harddoff, or on the street to await pickup , My god I wish I still had my 68 VW van , I could start a business just shipping this stuff to the US there is soooo much of it.

http://www.hardoff.co.jp/

Ishiyoshi san, kono homepegi tsuyyakushite kudasai , buko nihongo yomenai,hanaseru dake do .....zannen dekinai,

Americajin tabun kono webpage mitai ka na?

You make some very interesting points. For a while there, Sony was radically changing design, form factor, features, etc. for every release - and I wondered how much they must be spending to do that (with increasingly diminishing returns). When you think about say, a cassette deck - how much did that really change over the years? Sure they added some features - but basically, the last generation of cassette decks adhered to the same standards and provided more or less the same features as the first generation. MD kept introducing new features, codecs, etc. with almost every release - and I think that caused a lot of confusion and obviously cost an enormous amount of money in R&D, production, etc. I would say marketing but there has been none in the US since 2000, as far as I can remember.

BTW - your comments on Japan being the "gadget capital" are interesting. I have a 9 year-old boy who loves Pokemon, Digimon, video games, etc. and Japan to him is a kind of sacred place - it is the origin of almost all of his favorite things. Just a very different perspective from when I was growing up.

Yeah , when I grew up we played outside , we did things , I got into archery , and hunting, fishing , and woodworking, now if it doesnt have a circuit board it isnt interesting. My kid is 12 , and I am trying very hard to keep him from falling into that trap , he has a better balance than most because we do go do things, and I spend a lot of time with him, Most Japanese kids hardly see their dads, but the two working parent family is growing rapidly here, which isnt going to help any. The Graphics of the games here are so realistic it is scary , and the kids find them as their escape and support. Watching a crowd of ten thousand all moving in unison , all with cell phone in hand e-mailing someone and no one talking to each other ( yes I have seen this) is one of the most surrealistic things I have experienced. Sometimes Tokyo/Yokohama reminds me of "Logans Run " ( I am really dating myself here)

Thx for that comment.

TC

Edited by Guitarfxr

I could agree with that , just the Pro gear , is going to change , Korg MR1 is a prime example of where it is going

http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_n...p;category_id=3

The problem with this type of gear is

1) You are out in the field --say Iraq or wherever --what do you do when the internal unit is full and you need to record some more.

2) How do you copy the stuff off the unit for archival purposes.

3) You've got a quick little assignment without Internet access. You need to copy your recording on to some media and Fed X it somewhere.

Whilst the korg is a great recording device it doesn't get over the fact that you often will want to copy the stuff off the hard disk on to other media.

MD is PERFECT for this stuff (if only SONY could realize it).

Cheers

-K

The problem with this type of gear is

1) You are out in the field --say Iraq or wherever --what do you do when the internal unit is full and you need to record some more.

2) How do you copy the stuff off the unit for archival purposes.

3) You've got a quick little assignment without Internet access. You need to copy your recording on to some media and Fed X it somewhere.

Whilst the korg is a great recording device it doesn't get over the fact that you often will want to copy the stuff off the hard disk on to other media.

Cheers

-K

I'll agree with that point , but that is the reason for the Flashed based recorders , Like Fostex's new rig , Or the MicroTrack 24/96( I have one) These use MicroDrives and CF cards , 2gigs 8gigs 10 gigs whatever size you want,

Recording in MP3 128kbs, 44.1 sample rate on a 1 gig CF card , I have over 17 hours of recording time , file breaks, markers etc. That is a full day in Irag , There is your news story , and the full uncut article for the News company you work for to cut copy and paste all on one disc. MD wont do that .

The Mic Pre's in the Micro track ,(if you use the TRS intsead of unbalanced) are pristine and supply 30volts of Phantom Power , which means you can use any mic you want.

No moving parts , nothing to break , ....An MD in the Dust of Iraq, ( I have two freinds there now) with the heat levels , Your batt life dies forget the internal bat . also the dust and dirt particles corrupt the mechanisims horribly unless you keep it fully cased and covered at all times. Md is Consumer /Audiofile gear , amatuer musicians , etc , In the general field (Reporting etc ) in more congenial enviornments ,Yes MD is used quite a bit , but places like Iraq . Not a good place for MD

Edited by Guitarfxr

Who are you going to Fed X an MD to?? The majority of people receiving an MD in the mail would be like "is this an old floppy?"

:P