MZ-RH1 with external battery (AA USB pack)

Rate this topic

jbdance

My MZ-RH1 works and charges fine with the Sony supplied AC adaptor AC-S508U. However, it does NOT work with a $20 USB power supply (a 4-AA pack I just got from Ebay: "Mobiledriven USB Battery Extender AA MD9020-0010". http://www.mobiledriven.com/usbbaexaaba.html

The pack has a green LED which comes on, and I checked with a voltmeter and it is providing +5.25 V which seems OK, so why doesn't this work? Has anyone else had success with this pack or other external AA USB packs with their RH1?

Note: I know that the AA pack is providing power because it was able to spin up an external laptop hard drive that is USB powered, but the RH1 just pretends that it isn't there at all.

Edited by jbdance

My MZ-RH1 works and charges fine with the Sony supplied AC adaptor AC-S508U. However, it does NOT work with a $20 USB power supply (a 4-AA pack I just got from Ebay: "Mobiledriven USB Battery Extender AA MD9020-0010". http://www.mobiledriven.com/usbbaexaaba.html

The pack has a green LED which comes on, and I checked with a voltmeter and it is providing +5.25 V which seems OK, so why doesn't this work? Has anyone else had success with this pack or other external AA USB packs with their RH1?

Note: I know that the AA pack is providing power because it was able to spin up an external laptop hard drive that is USB powered, but the RH1 just pretends that it isn't there at all.

The RH1 needs 3.7 Volts (the voltage of the LIP-4WM battery).

Four Ni-Mh deliver 5 Volts ! That's certainly the reason... a security function may disable the unit.

Regards.

Yes, the internal battery is lower voltage than the external USB port. USB power is supposed to be 5 Volts, and in fact the Sony power supply for this unit (Sony AC-S508U) is marked 5 volts. I measured mine, it provides 5.18 volts. So a different 5V external unit also ought to work, right?

Is there a difference in amps?

Amps, better say mAh, is of no importance here. The more mAh you have, the longer last your batteries... That is, the quantity of current they can deliver is proportional to their "capacity" exprimed in "mAh".

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Amps, better say mAh, is of no importance here. The more mAh you have, the longer last your batteries... That is, the quantity of current they can deliver is proportional to their "capacity" exprimed in "mAh".

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Also the polarity , I have the Microtrack 24/96 which is also USB and it power supply is 1 amp out at 5 .o volts , I tried the RH1 on its power supply , no dice ... light come on then it shuts down , I bought the Sony 12 volt to usb adapter (Cigarette plug type) and it works fine. I have a small 7 amp hour portable battery that has a shoulder strap case , It is made by Meltec

http://store.yahoo.co.jp/excellent/ns-sg-1000.html

sorry it's in Japanese but you get the model number so you might find it in the states, Northern Hardware , or whatever the name of the store is now might even have it in stock . Works great.

Edited by Guitarfxr

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Batteries? I was thinking that the recharging circuit might be picky about the current it accepts.

The Motorola RAZR V3 phone charger (mains) charges the RH1 -- no probs..

It doesn't work the other way around (i.e the SONY RH1 charger doesn't charge the RAZR phone).

I'd suspect that if you can find an external battery pack that is compatable with the Motorola RAZR phone it would probably work.

The Car adapter for this phone also works in charging the RH1 --so you could probably make a 12 V adapter by hacking off the cigarette lighter end of the car phone charger and connecting this to 9 X 1.5 batteries in a box or whatever.

Anybody willing to try this.

Cheers

-K

Edited by 1kyle

• 4 weeks later...

Four Ni-Mh deliver 5 Volts ! That's certainly the reason... a security function may disable the unit.

Regards.

Fukuda san , zen zen machigai nandesu yo , sony no USB adapter wa 5 volto , 3.7 volto janai nandesu .

I have a AC power strip that has a USB out and it works fine with the Sony RH1 ,

It has to do with the way SONY Power supplies are wired , the sheild or casing is connected to something either direct or by capacitor , I have been fussing with this problem for four weeks straight experimenting with different AC-USB adapters , as well as 12 Volts -USB

Only the SONY 12volt - USB worked , I am going to take it apart in a few days to see why,

List of what I have tried so far

1. Violetta Solar Gear Usb adapter (worked on everything but the RH1)
  2. M-Audio AC-USB for the Microtrack ( Did Not work on the RH1)
  3. Jet Audio AC-USB ( did not work on the RH1)
  4. Macbook Laptop , rear USB port ( Worked fine on the RH1)
  5. 4AA NiMd Battery pack with a DC to USB cable (Did not work) I tried different battery configurations

I am trying to build a Solar panel charger ,and Battery pack for the RH1 myself , If I get a Working design I will post it here

• Like 1

Hey everybody I just bought a Lithium Battery pack 2200 ma USB out and USB mini B input for charging , They specifically state on the package NOT to use their cable for SONY , but to use the Standard USB that came with the SONY , I plugged into it just a few minutes ago , Charge light Immediately came on and started charging . It looks cool too . 5,770 yen

http://www.bolt.co.jp/bike-mount-system/sy...-system_top.asp scroll all the way down and youll see it , Ishiyoshi san tsuyaku shite kudasai ore wa ne,...nihongo yomenai sumimasen

Also under a different name in the UK with apparently more juice

http://proporta.com/F02/PPF02P05.php?t_id=...&t_mode=des

batterypack.jpgbatterypack-2.jpg

Edited by Guitarfxr

This thread in the Product Reviews board reviews the AA battery pack sold in the States by www.gomadic.com for $20.

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showt...=16982&st=0

Cost includes one tip...it uses interchangeable tips for a variety of different products...I use mine to power and/or recharge my MZ-RH1, Moto Razr V3 phone, and Palm handheld. The Moto Razr V3 tip also charges the RH1. Additional tips are about $6 if I recall.

I paid ~US$30 for the Macally IP-A481 LiIon battery pack that charges from a USB and charges the RH1 and functrions fine as an external source of power while recording. I like it for peace of mind. It comes in black so it matches my RH1 just fine and is small, a little less broad than the RH1 but longer. And no replacement cells to buy. http://www.techmicro.com/ProductDetails.as...ductCode=IPA481

B)

I paid ~US$30 for the Macally IP-A481 LiIon battery pack that charges from a USB and charges the RH1 and functrions fine as an external source of power while recording. I like it for peace of mind. It comes in black so it matches my RH1 just fine and is small, a little less broad than the RH1 but longer. And no replacement cells to buy. http://www.techmicro.com/ProductDetails.as...ductCode=IPA481

B)

I couldn't find those here , but I wasnt looking in the right place probably. The way this thing is wired , I can charge it from my solar panel , which is good for me. I build small panels ,6-12 volts high output , over 500 ma ,I have a 6 volt I am building today that is about 800 ma in full sun . so that will be a perfect setup.

Edited by Guitarfxr

Probably, but how well will it work inside when recording inside?? I use my IP-A481 as a security blanket to insure that I do not get a dead battery at a recording gig. And, it costs about half what an internal LiIon would cost from SONY. Removes the need for a battery swap. Kind of makes it a no-brainer for me.

B)

I do a lot of biking and hiking , in Japan there is always a festival going on somewhere or an outdoor concert , they dont mind me setting up the recording gear at all, I have Shakuhachi Concerts , Koto Concerts, Taiko Drums, Jazz Festivals, all kinds of stuff. So as long as it isnt a headliner they dont mind a bit. Rather seem to enjoy the attention from a Gaijin actually.

But I love Japanese food , ( it is NOT all Sushi everybody , nor is it all rice) I speak well enough to get into trouble,so they tolerate me pretty well.

That is what my RH1 is for basically.

Edited by Guitarfxr

I do a lot of biking and hiking , in Japan there is always a festival going on somewhere or an outdoor concert , they dont mind me setting up the recording gear at all, I have Shakuhachi Concerts , Koto Concerts, Taiko Drums, Jazz Festivals, all kinds of stuff. So as long as it isnt a headliner they dont mind a bit. Rather seem to enjoy the attention from a Gaijin actually.

But I love Japanese food , ( it is NOT all Sushi everybody , nor is it all rice) I speak well enough to get into trouble,so they tolerate me pretty well.

That is what my RH1 is for basically.

Hai so desu! Yes, there is always Udon. ;o) For outside work it is great, and fun to build. Those bar lights would not charge anything for me, though. You are lucky to be Gaijin and not Hakajin. It must be fun rattling around there. Is it permanent?

Hai so desu! Yes, there is always Udon. ;o) For outside work it is great, and fun to build. Those bar lights would not charge anything for me, though. You are lucky to be Gaijin and not Hakajin. It must be fun rattling around there. Is it permanent?

Booj ,....Im impressed , got a little noodle in ya huh? Yes I have a Permanent Visa , eijyuken moteru yo!

By the way like the pic of the SkipperKey in your ID slot

Booj ,....Im impressed , got a little noodle in ya huh? Yes I have a Permanent Visa , eijyuken moteru yo!

By the way like the pic of the SkipperKey in your ID slot

The avatar Schip is not mine. Mine is off spending her winnings for coming in first place int The Worlds Most Spoiled Schipperke. I think hthey will have to retire the trophy she has won it so often. Schipperke is Flemish for "bad dog." LOL

Cheers

The avatar Schip is not mine. Mine is off spending her winnings for coming in first place int The Worlds Most Spoiled Schipperke. I think hthey will have to retire the trophy she has won it so often. Schipperke is Flemish for "bad dog." LOL

Cheers

Well I am a bilge rat , so I dont mind the company of a "Bad Dog" lol

My 30 footer is still sitting in Monterey bay , albeit a new owner has it ,

• 2 months later...

To follow up on my RH1 external 4xAA battery pack story: I finally got my battery pack to work and charge the RH1. It turns out you need to have a 20 k-ohm resistor between pins 2 and 3 of the USB port for the RH1 to recognize it as a power source. Some commercial USB battery packs provide this, and they work. Some (like the one I got) leave pins 2,3 open, and therefore they do not work with the RH1, although they may work with some other USB devices.

I hacked a USB extender cable to add the 20k resistor, at which point my pack started working. More details, measurements, and photos here:

http://beale.best.vwh.net/measure/USB/index.html

post-50461-1181782305_thumb.jpg

To follow up on my RH1 external 4xAA battery pack story: I finally got my battery pack to work and charge the RH1. It turns out you need to have a 20 k-ohm resistor between pins 2 and 3 of the USB port for the RH1 to recognize it as a power source. Some commercial USB battery packs provide this, and they work. Some (like the one I got) leave pins 2,3 open, and therefore they do not work with the RH1, although they may work with some other USB devices.

I hacked a USB extender cable to add the 20k resistor, at which point my pack started working. More details, measurements, and photos here:

http://beale.best.vwh.net/measure/USB/index.html

So what you need to do is Take apart the Battery box , and drop the 20k on to pins 2,3 inside the box then you dont have the mess outside.

I have several little boxes , that use 2 AA , has a voltage amplifier brings it up to a stable 5.09 volts , but with only 2 aa's I max out at 7 hours running off the box . but that leaves power in the internal Batt.

On Gomadics site they say ,"Backed by Gomadic's lifetime warranty.

The ONLY product that will work with alkaline or rechargeable batteries.

Provides enough power to recharge devices 2-3 times from discharged state"

The ONLY product .........That is BS , I have three others here that work with Recharge. In fact the Targus Recharges the AAA 'S in it from a USB port on the computer or adapter , Has a LED light built in , Three position switch On, Use, Charge. The Targus battery pack is in this kit............

http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=ABE0202US

ABE0202US_img5_accessories_b.jpg

Not knockin you , Just Gomadic said what is not true, I appreciate your effort in helping to cure the RH1 power blues , we are all seeking a good solution for that one

Edited by Guitarfxr

So what you need to do is Take apart the Battery box , and drop the 20k on to pins 2,3 inside the box then you dont have the mess outside.

Definitely, that's the first thing I tried to do- guess I should have mentioned why that didn't work. The problem with this particular model is that it only feeds pins 1,4 through to the actual battery case. They don't even have all four wires in the cable, just two- so I'd have to break open the solid molded USB female connector it has on the end of a short cable, to get to USB pins 2,3 and I figured that would be just as messy, and I'd probably break it trying to cut it open. Hopefully the other model USB power boxes have a better design.

Edited by jbdance

Definitely, that's the first thing I tried to do- guess I should have mentioned why that didn't work. The problem with this particular model is that it only feeds pins 1,4 through to the actual battery case. They don't even have all four wires in the cable, just two- so I'd have to break open the solid molded USB female connector it has on the end of a short cable, to get to USB pins 2,3 and I figured that would be just as messy, and I'd probably break it trying to cut it open. Hopefully the other model USB power boxes have a better design.

Can you replace the cable to the box ?

ROTF , Wiz ,... You just aint giving up on the Solio are ya !!!!

What is the actual Ma out on it , ?

Oh yeah the link to Soli doesnt work , it says " http://localhost? "

might wanna fix that

On the site the Tech spechs state 155 ma out on the Panel end so to get a full charge via sun

2000 / 155 plus 5% gives you charge time in hours ( the 5% is top off) ,that is 14 hours or so

The panels I build are 800 ma out max ( full sun) but it is just getting the USB part fixed ,

same example 2 Amphr battery

2000/ 800 plus 5%

3 hours your charged , on the RH1 it would be the same as being plugged in 60 minutes.

When I get this thing fixed I will post full diagrams so you guys can build your own .

Edited by Guitarfxr

• 1 month later...

The way the USB port is wired on the Battery pack has everything to do with it , I have tried numurous packs , the best one yet for me is a Taurgus USB pack that uses AAA batts charges from a USB port as well and built in LED light so you can check stuff in the dark . The only downside is it isnt AA's . Triple A's just dont hold as much juice . but it works VERY well , The RH1 recognizes it instantly and starts charging .

It was made for iPod ..... OH the Irony............. :focus:

Edited by Guitarfxr

• 1 month later...

I purchased a "Tevion Portable Battery Pack" a couple of days ago - Lithium Polymer, 8800mAh capacity, switchable to 3.3, 5, 6, 7.5, 9,12 or 16 volts - supplied adapters power the MZ-NH1 in cradle, the NH900 loose or in cradle, and the NW-HD1 in cradle. The supplied USB tip didn't work with the RH-1 due to the need for special pinout as mentioned in earlier posts, but a very cheap pack of e2GO Emergency Mobile Phone Battery Adaptors from Tandy provided a tip the same size as the Tevion output cable, and that does the trick with the RH-1.

The battery pack is something like twice the size of the RH-1 but I suspect it would power it for days! (Actually 9 days if my calculations are correct...). Oddly though the RH-1 shuts down after a minute or two running off the Tevion with the RH-1 battery removed.

I purchased a "Tevion Portable Battery Pack" a couple of days ago - Lithium Polymer, 8800mAh capacity, switchable to 3.3, 5, 6, 7.5, 9,12 or 16 volts - supplied adapters power the MZ-NH1 in cradle, the NH900 loose or in cradle, and the NW-HD1 in cradle. The supplied USB tip didn't work with the RH-1 due to the need for special pinout as mentioned in earlier posts, but a very cheap pack of e2GO Emergency Mobile Phone Battery Adaptors from Tandy provided a tip the same size as the Tevion output cable, and that does the trick with the RH-1.

The battery pack is something like twice the size of the RH-1 but I suspect it would power it for days! (Actually 9 days if my calculations are correct...). Oddly though the RH-1 shuts down after a minute or two running off the Tevion with the RH-1 battery removed.

That means the output current is 350 ma or less on the USB , the RH1 needs at least 500 ma I have a 2AA pack to USB that has a Voltage multiplier in it .and it will run the RH1 for about 6 hours with two SANYO 2700 ma NMH batteries. but the output current clocks at 400 ma , when it drops below that the RH1 shuts down , while running the OLED is kind of dim , so it isnt getting all of what it needs . I have another 4 AA to USB pack that is 1 amp out and it charges just fine but it gets used up pretty quick , I get 4.5 hours out of it because the RH1 reads it as a Power source and thus uses it wide open .

Hmm, the batttery pack is rated at 600mA at 5V, but of course may not actually deliver that.

Take a scrap USB cable and a Multimeter (digital prefered ) and strip the sheathing off of it about an inch and a Half worth , expose the four wires and sheild

Then set the meter to Ohms , Pins 1 and 4 will be the outside two find which wires go to those pins and cutback the other two , you can also cut the sheild back . I keep one of these around , to ckeck these USB adapters to see what is actuall going on .

Try using a standard USB cable to the RH1 instead of the adapter as well , ( I have a suspicion that might be part of the problem )

Edited by Guitarfxr

• 4 months later...

Hi there, it is frustrating that Sony does not make anymore of those dry battary cases. I like your mod for the external battery case with USB and the resistor, 1 question though, during the charging (that is, power supply via 4AA+resistor) do you need to have the rechargeable battery inside?

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just got myself a MZ-RH1 (second hand) and I gotta say I have no confidence with the battery. Even when the battery has zero power, I re-charge via the mains lead supplied, and it indicates it only needs 15 minutes to charge. Is there any way to overide the automatic charge so I can charge it for a couple of hours without it automatically switching itself off. I record live gigs, and it's every tapers nightmare to lose power during the gig. Maybe I need to purchase a new battery, does anyone know of a supplier, can't find any online?

Thanks

Hi,

Just got myself a MZ-RH1 (second hand) and I gotta say I have no confidence with the battery. Even when the battery has zero power, I re-charge via the mains lead supplied, and it indicates it only needs 15 minutes to charge. Is there any way to overide the automatic charge so I can charge it for a couple of hours without it automatically switching itself off. I record live gigs, and it's every tapers nightmare to lose power during the gig. Maybe I need to purchase a new battery, does anyone know of a supplier, can't find any online?

Thanks

I received mine today(new) the battery inside was still charged, when I charged it there was written 15 minutes left.....

So maybe.... that's not normal....... :scratchhead:

However I want know... are there third party gumstick batteries for the rh1 with more power capacity???

I received mine today(new) the battery inside was still charged, when I charged it there was written 15 minutes left.....

So maybe.... that's not normal....... :scratchhead:

However I want know... are there third party gumstick batteries for the rh1 with more power capacity???

If you got a New RH1 , then the battery comes with a charge in it for maintaining it , it has to be charged fully , then use it 1 time until it is drained

completely , then charge it for 5 hours , that will "Set" the battery the charge light will go off in 60 minutes , but leave it on the charger for about 5 hours the first time , that will allow the battery to reach its ma capacity

Batteries? I was thinking that the recharging circuit might be picky about the current it accepts.

The Motorola chargers for the V RAZR type phones work fine with the unit. The Sony Charger doesn't work with the motorola phone - but the motorola charger is so tiny and light that I am happy to use that instead of the Sony one. Also means 1 less piece of kit to carry around.

You can normally charge your RH1 as well from a Computers USB slot - even a laptop provided the laptop is powered on at the mains and isn't running on its battery.

If you break one of these openrand stick a voltmeter across the ends it's around 4.9 - 5.5 V.

You could make a battery case and solder the wires to the + and - parts. Use 4 batteries so you've got 6V to start with. The slight extra voltage won't blow the unit and if you are "paranoid" just add a small piece of circuitry to maximize the voltage at 5V.

Cheers

-K

Hello all

Just to add to the list of external supplies.

I can confirm that the Macally JBox Mini will

(i) charge a Li-ion battery in an RH-1

(ii) power an RH-1 when there is no battery in it

It also appears that the Sony power supply for the RH-1 will charge the JBox Mini. (I've just connected up and the charge light has come on)

The JBox Mini is small flat and square, and slightly smaller in plan area than the the RH-1. Stated capacity is 1700mAh.

Hope this helps.