Converting HMA files

Rate this topic

carlmart

Don't touch those HMA. Contrary to what you may think, those are NOT your recordings, rather some index files that MD needs to work properly. Your recordings are not visible from within windows. You may want to try Marcnet's awesome Hi-MD Renderer, available from the downloads section of this forum. It can also convert to OGG and MP3 with the proper DLL, but first you must have transfered your music to the computer via SonicStage.

Edited by Syrius

ReaConverter 4.0

Good tool of converting your files from different formats and folders to the one, specify the output file type, names, size.

Audio MP3 WAV WMA Converter is designed for converting the most popular audio formats MP3, WAV, WMA, and OGG from one format to another directly and quickly (no temporary files produced).

If you want to convert MP3 to WAV, WAV to MP3, WAV to MP3 and so on, this is exactly what you are looking for. You may download it in this website.

The brief interface may be the most important feature of this software; you will find it very easy to operate, since many convertion forms are put on the main window directly.

http://www.qweas.com/download/audio_mp3/au...g_converter.htm

For example, you only need to click the "WAV to MP3" button, the converting of WAV to MP3 will be done. However, it doesn't surpport VQF; you have to download the old version if you want to use it.

Don't touch those HMA. Contrary to what you may think, those are NOT your recordings, rather some index files that MD needs to work properly. Your recordings are not visible from within windows. You may want to try Marcnet's awesome Hi-MD Renderer, available from the downloads section of this forum. It can also convert to OGG and MP3 with the proper DLL, but first you must have transfered your music to the computer via SonicStage.

Thanks very much for this information. Carlos asked the question partly on my behalf. I have been puzzled by the fact that I cannot reproduce the same fine audio quality on burned CDs (using Audition to edit & EAC to collect & burn) as I hear on the HiMD original recordings I made at a concert and here in my music room. (Normally my CD copies are virtually identical to the originals). Here, I imported the tracks from MD using the USB link into Sonic Stage 4.2. They get transfered to the PC automatically by SS. It had been suggested that when SS imports and converts into WAV. all in one hit, degradation may occur. That's how I came to import without SS and found the HMA files in the PC. Yes I've looked at HiMD Renderer but it didn't seem to answer my problem and the warnings worried me!

I've seen doubts expressed about the quality of the Sony USB link. Is this a view widely held?

My mics. are old Hammond M100 condenser which use Nuvistors behind the diaphragm in the capsules and stabilised PSUs. My HiFi is DiY Electrostatic hybrids, direct driven by various valve amps.

Any further advice would be much appreciated.

JF

It had been suggested that when SS imports and converts into WAV. all in one hit, degradation may occur.

Suggested. Not proven with data and evidence. ;)

There shouldn't be any degradation because what you're doing is actually copy the data of the recording to your computer, bit by bit. If you are recording in PCM, all that SS does is remove the DRM and OMA container, and leaves you with an untainted WAV. PCM=WAV.

If you feel more comfortable, import your files without converting them to wav (disable that option). Once imported, close SS and use HI-MD Renderer to convert to wav.

Again. Until Sony releases the source code, there is no way to import to the computer without sonicstage.

I've seen doubts expressed about the quality of the Sony USB link. Is this a view widely held?

Unless bits and bytes are being lost when you transfer/copy the music or files to your computer, there shouldn't be anything to be concerned about. No one ever says anything about pictures, MP3's (Ipod, Zen, or any other MP3 player) losing quality when transferred to and from the host computer, which is exactly what HI-MD does.

So, repeat after me, people: Uploading to the computer from HI-MD is just copying the data that is already in the Hi-MD. If A=B and B=C, then A=C. It's not like we're using vacuum tubes and cheap flat antenna cable to work here. :lol:

Edited by Syrius

Suggested. Not proven with data and evidence. ;)

There shouldn't be any degradation because what you're doing is actually copy the data of the recording to your computer, bit by bit. If you are recording in PCM, all that SS does is remove the DRM and OMA container, and leaves you with an untainted WAV. PCM=WAV.

If you feel more comfortable, import your files without converting them to wav (disable that option). Once imported, close SS and use HI-MD Renderer to convert to wav.

Again. Until Sony releases the source code, there is no way to import to the computer without sonicstage.

Unless bits and bytes are being lost when you transfer/copy the music or files to your computer, there shouldn't be anything to be concerned about. No one ever says anything about pictures, MP3's (Ipod, Zen, or any other MP3 player) losing quality when transferred to and from the host computer, which is exactly what HI-MD does.

So, repeat after me, people: Uploading to the computer from HI-MD is just copying the data that is already in the Hi-MD. If A=B and B=C, then A=C. It's not like we're using vacuum tubes and cheap flat antenna cable to work here. :lol:

My previous attempt at a reply doesn't show so here goes again: Thanks for your advice. I know I should get a perfect WAV. file, but something ain't right. I may have a perfect WAV.file but I'm not getting a perfect copy onto CD and there's nothing wrong with EAC or my other CD copies. So I'm chasing shadows just now. I should try what you suggest but find using Sonic Stage is problematic. Certainly the Sony instruction book doesn't tally with my experience with NH-700, but that may be because I've now got 4.2. Where do you find the "disable option" you mention above?

Again I can't stop SS from depositing the WAV & PK files into "My Documents" on the PC whereas there should be an option.

Best,

JF

Under options, go to transfer and select Hi-MD, now check under advanced...

there at the bottom uncheck "convert to WAV when importing".

Thanks very much. The clue was I had to highlight HiMD to find the advanced option. Easy when you know how! Now I'll try to make more progress.

Thanks again,

JF

• 11 years later...

Wow this is a very old post. However, my life may have moved on but alas not necessarily my audio equipment. I need to transfer some files from my old MD. Sonic Stage will no longer run. Is the only option now left to do it in Real Time  analogue format? Reading back here I find all kinds of problems associated with converting the Sony file format to WAV or MP3. I wanted to ask if it sounded OK through the headphone socket. 

Anyway my question is this:- In the intervening 11 years, has anyone produced a file converter that will handle the Sony HMA format - which includes a lot of compression. Did Sony ever release the specification? That HMA suffix isn't the sole clue is it? They use that for all their MD files. The Format also needs to be interpreted. There's a lot of choices from what I read. MD; Hi-MD; SP; LP and what is NET MD? Maybe even more?

Any up to date help with this would be very much appreciated.

Sincerely, BerryG

Good thinking and thanks for your response. 

I have mine working again on XP too. I had to do this fix which I found on the Forum but will repeat It here. 

It just means moving or copying a couple of files.

C:\Program files\Common files\Sony Shared\OpenMG\restorable

Copy two files icv.dat and maclist.dat to Open MG

This started it running again. No idea why it works. 

My biggest problem was getting the driver's to work correctly.  With my XP computer, no issues.   I won't let it see the internet unless it is a total emergency. 

No problem on putting my two cents (pence? for you?)  A lot of the threads on here are dated but there are still some very helpful people lurking about.