Black DH10P... finally!

Rate this topic

theblueraja

I posted this at the Audio T-board, but thought I'd share it here too... Some may know me by now for both my praise & review of the MZ-DH10P, as well as my rant & rave of the very same unit. Well here we are, a couple years later since I bought my first DH10P from Japan (black model), and now I've come full circle to finally splurge on the color that I REALLY wanted, many silver models later. Alas, I now own a black MZ-DH10P!! :D

Enjoy the pics.

db04.jpg

db01.jpg

db09.jpg

db06.jpg

db08.jpg

db11.jpg

db02.jpg

db10.jpg

db05-1.jpg

db03-1.jpg

db07.jpg

For me, there is no perfect portable Minidisc; each has many pluses and a few minuses. But I recommend the DH10P because it's a solidly-built, classy unit that has the digital amp.. with the added appeal of album art display. The photos it takes are actually better, in my opinion, than many of the point-and-shoot digital cameras with higher pixel rate. And there will never be another camera Minidisc.

... like a collector's item, yes... "Hi-MD PHOTO" appeal...! The combo idea is nice too, I wouldn't need to carry two devices. So the pictures it takes are definitely decent enough... Album art is sort of a nice bonus, yes. How about connectors, proprietary? Any limitations? & LIP-4WM & 35ELK(S) come with it, correct? JP version, I mean yes; others have a lame remote I noticed alright.

Of course the connector requires a sony USB... however, photos saved are saved on the minidisc... so ANY HiMD unit hooked up to a computer will be able to transfer the data. I use a NH900 for all my PC-Sonic Stage - and photo transfers... it just sits always hooked up to the PC...

Anyway, it comes with a LIP-4WM that you can buy real cheap now on ebay (get lots of backups, I have like 8 now), but you can also use the cradle to power & play tunes with ( more on the cradle here _)... as a camera, I think it's actually INCREDIBLE and suits my 'snap-shot' share on the net type photos... but for a BETTER specific review of the camera:

GO TO THIS LINK!!

In a nutshell:

PRO:

The DH10P rules in sound quality and the camera is excellent

CON:

Battery life is lame compared to typical MD portables, and the camera doesn't have a REAL "flash" so low-light conditions not good

Firstly, I must say that is a VERY nice unit. I still think the red is amazing, but the black looks SO much classier than the silver.

That being said, I saw your post on the Audio T-Board and almost immediately afterwards began experiencing problems with MY DH-10P. Sometimes now, maybe twice a week (I listen to it all day at work, mind you), when I press 'search' or 'display' or just try to change the volume the disc stops plays and re-starts. Also, like you said, the battery life is absolute shite.

Have you worked out any kind of temporary solution for the random restarting of this unit?

Firstly, I must say that is a VERY nice unit. I still think the red is amazing, but the black looks SO much classier than the silver.

That being said, I saw your post on the Audio T-Board and almost immediately afterwards began experiencing problems with MY DH-10P. Sometimes now, maybe twice a week (I listen to it all day at work, mind you), when I press 'search' or 'display' or just try to change the volume the disc stops plays and re-starts. Also, like you said, the battery life is absolute shite.

Have you worked out any kind of temporary solution for the random restarting of this unit?

Hmmm... sorry if I jinxed you. As far as a solution, I call it a cross between faith, forgiveness... and well, I guess stupidity, because I still love this unit.

My silver one has been behaving much better lately... maybe it has to do with moisture or something that eventually clears up, I don't know.

I'm still thinking about my dilemma: I'm wanting to get a compact digital camera for having permanently with me for quick snapshots (my bridge camera's great but oh so bulky), but also am looking into getting a player only Hi-MD portable (RH1 eject button problem solved & safe at home anyhow or for in the recorder's briefcase with mic); TBR suggests that it isn't completely out the question of finding the rare & sexy EH1; I can easily get my hands on one of the latest T series CyberShots for not too many bucks, but it would mean lugging around two devices; then again, on the DH10P, available still and the combo option, the camera is for nothing more than basic -even though decent- snapshots; latest T series sport so-called double anti-blur tech & more useful guizmos (touch screen, yummy); but do I play music more often than I take -or would take- pictures? That's another point; then there's the sheer kick to have a device -the only one- that can take pictures on Hi-MDs... Go on TBR, praise, rant & rave some more..., particularly on the photographic pro's & cons of the DH10P, the class of the EH1... so that I'll be even more lost at bay...

I always carry a mobile phone with a camera. I'm current using a Sony K750i 2mp with autofocus. The autofocus makes a vast difference. I've taken some decent photos with it. I wouldn't buy a DH10P for the camera though it does ok.

I find it interesting that I truly never intended to use the camera part of the DH10P when I originally bought it... looking back, it is the MOST-used camera I own, and I have a nice Canon PowerShot S2 and a Razr cell phone cam. The Canon is too bulky for everyday use, the cell phone simply sucks, and the DH10P is the perfect medium... oh, and its my MUSIC PLAYER! :D

Fun note: right after posting yesterday morning i accidentally dropped my DH10P while it was loading music onto a disc. Now one of the two little hook-catches on the USB has been knocked back into the USB and I now have to hold it firmly in place to connect the unit to my computer. This comes just a month after the front little logo that keeps the unit locked into the charging stand somehow fell inside the unit and now I need to use a rubberband to keep it in the charger.

The ironic thing is I take VERY GOOD care of everything I own, and my silver RH-10 (now my brother's) never had any problems in the year+ I had it.

Fun note: right after posting yesterday morning i accidentally dropped my DH10P while it was loading music onto a disc. Now one of the two little hook-catches on the USB has been knocked back into the USB and I now have to hold it firmly in place to connect the unit to my computer. This comes just a month after the front little logo that keeps the unit locked into the charging stand somehow fell inside the unit and now I need to use a rubberband to keep it in the charger.

The ironic thing is I take VERY GOOD care of everything I own, and my silver RH-10 (now my brother's) never had any problems in the year+ I had it.

FUN note?? :P

Every unit seems to have some weakspot... the RH10's battery door for instance... well the USB connector for the DH10P on the cradle end of the cable is incredibly fragile... which is why I suggest to people that if you wish to unhook the USB to use the cradle for powered playback only from time to time, unhook the cable from the PC end; the tiny gold teeth are very delicate.

I'm sitting here looking at the black DH10P right now... it's a beautiful sight. Oh, and sounds incredible too ;) Oh, and don't ever let snapshots make you think the screen looks this way... it's always much more vibrant and colorful in person.

blk-1.jpg

I never saw good photos of this unit before, so thanks for posting them!

Seeing how good the display and pictures look, makes me wonder if this could be a substantive way that Sony could improve on the RH-1 - have a very large ipod-like color display on the front of the unit, so you can see the album art and upcoming tracks, etc. Would be nice for those of us who use the RH-1 as (amongst other things) our mp3 playback solution.

I never saw good photos of this unit before, so thanks for posting them!

Seeing how good the display and pictures look, makes me wonder if this could be a substantive way that Sony could improve on the RH-1 - have a very large ipod-like color display on the front of the unit, so you can see the album art and upcoming tracks, etc. Would be nice for those of us who use the RH-1 as (amongst other things) our mp3 playback solution.

Yeah, quite frankly to me the RH1 was a total step BACKWARDS as far as a 'new' model should be... at least as a PLAYER model, which it is not anyway. Die hard old MD users love the RH1 for the transfer ability, and professional audio recorder people love it for its LED and recording features... but people who use MD players as a PLAYER/WALKMAN device should realize the RH1 leaves little to be desired, especially with no track TITLES on the LCD (oled, whatever)... plus I heard that OLEDs don't last very long (don't know specifically what that means, but certainly a much shorter lifespan than traditional LCD)... how the screen on the DH10P fits the equation I have no idea, but I'm sure owning multiple units helps in that respect :P

As for mp3 goes, I love the sound of ATRAC, so... not an issue.

Yeah, quite frankly to me the RH1 was a total step BACKWARDS as far as a 'new' model should be... at least as a PLAYER model, which it is not anyway. Die hard old MD users love the RH1 for the transfer ability, and professional audio recorder people love it for its LED and recording features... but people who use MD players as a PLAYER/WALKMAN device should realize the RH1 leaves little to be desired, especially with no track TITLES on the LCD (oled, whatever)... plus I heard that OLEDs don't last very long (don't know specifically what that means, but certainly a much shorter lifespan than traditional LCD)... how the screen on the DH10P fits the equation I have no idea, but I'm sure owning multiple units helps in that respect :P

I agree about the whole player thing.

I absolutely agree , I find the controls on the RH1 to be very awkward , and unfriendly , I really prefered th older deck with seperate line out from the headphone , the Standard line out just sounds better and cleaner .

New isnt always good.