Cleaning up audio files

Rate this topic

Aaron T.

I have Sony's Oxford Restoration tools plug-in (which can only be used in Pro Tools). Unfortunately, because I use Logic, this option doesn't work. I also have Sound Soap LE. I'm interested in learning what programs or plug-ins forum members are using to clean up audio files recorded in the field. I have one interview in particular that was recorded in a less than optimal setting (Starbucks) which definately needs cleaning before being radio ready. The results using the LE version of Sound Soap were less than ideal. Either Mac or PC suggestions could work since I use both platforms.

Cheers and thanks in advance for any insight,

T.

I have Sony's Oxford Restoration tools plug-in (which can only be used in Pro Tools). Unfortunately, because I use Logic, this option doesn't work. I also have Sound Soap LE. I'm interested in learning what programs or plug-ins forum members are using to clean up audio files recorded in the field. I have one interview in particular that was recorded in a less than optimal setting (Starbucks) which definately needs cleaning before being radio ready. The results using the LE version of Sound Soap were less than ideal. Either Mac or PC suggestions could work since I use both platforms.

Cheers and thanks in advance for any insight,

T.

CHEAP as in REAL Cheap FREEEEE , Audacity, has a basic noise removal, it has Normalization, it also using the Mac AU core audio units.

so you have access to multiband compression , which you can isolate certain frequancies to compress while leaving others alone ( the only way to compress) Fade in /out is "click drag/highlight ,thn on the tool bar klik "effects" select "fade in" or "Fade out".

Klick drag to highlight a part you dont want , on the keyboard hit "Delete" done...

Export Project as Wav , mp3, ogg vorbis, mp2 , and selectable levels of each .

fastest easiest prog for simple edits that there is.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Edited by Guitarfxr

can Audacity take out vocal tracks (middle)?? that would have to be a MUST for me (rayzray)..

i try to avoid anything free;; thinking there is a "Catch" to it.. Hidden thinggys and unwanted spirits..

what about a store bought version;; is there one?? (like,, a tangible object;; nothing downloaded or up loaded;; or side loaded or exploded..)

Edited by rayzray

can Audacity take out vocal tracks (middle)?? that would have to be a MUST for me (rayzray)..

i try to avoid anything free;; thinking there is a "Catch" to it.. Hidden thinggys and unwanted spirits..

what about a store bought version;; is there one?? (like,, a tangible object;; nothing downloaded or up loaded;; or side loaded or exploded..)

Not a true center cancel , it has an FFT filter , and some other stufff you could reduce the vocals but not delete them

Not a true center cancel , it has an FFT filter , and some other stufff you could reduce the vocals but not delete them

I've been playing around for the past couple of days with the Nyquist plug-in language that's supported in Audacity. It's pretty powerful and straightforward to use once you get the hang of it. A center cancel plug-in is pretty easy to write.

In Audacity's nyquist mailing list archive there's a post from someone who wrote a simple 'vocal remover' plugin. It basically separates the audio in a mid and a side channel, and then cuts out the frequency band from the mid channel that contains most of the vocals. The lower and upper limit of that band are user selectable.

I've been playing around for the past couple of days with the Nyquist plug-in language that's supported in Audacity. It's pretty powerful and straightforward to use once you get the hang of it. A center cancel plug-in is pretty easy to write.

In Audacity's nyquist mailing list archive there's a post from someone who wrote a simple 'vocal remover' plugin. It basically separates the audio in a mid and a side channel, and then cuts out the frequency band from the mid channel that contains most of the vocals. The lower and upper limit of that band are user selectable.

thx for that , I couldnt get the nyquist plugs to work as well in MacOSX the CoreAudio plugs work very good though, I just wish they could give Audacity realtime effect monitoring instead of the Stop , select , Preview, execute thing , preview doesnt always work. Depends on what effect your applying.

chk this out

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=18772

mp3 on the bottom of the page , leave a comment

thx for that , I couldnt get the nyquist plugs to work as well in MacOSX the CoreAudio plugs work very good though, I just wish they could give Audacity realtime effect monitoring instead of the Stop , select , Preview, execute thing , preview doesnt always work. Depends on what effect your applying.

chk this out

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=18772

mp3 on the bottom of the page , leave a comment

Is Audacity suitable for removing noise from vinyl recordings, and if so, is it stragihtforward? Someone recommended Spin It Again for vinyl noise removal.

Is Audacity suitable for removing noise from vinyl recordings, and if so, is it stragihtforward? Someone recommended Spin It Again for vinyl noise removal.

Actually Audacity has a quite good click/pop removal tool in it , the Noise removal tool use very sparingly set it at min. the Click /Pop tool youll have to experiment with depends on the Vinyl and the deck you play it on.