MiniDisc of 3.6GB?

Rate this topic

Quicksilver_mx

Then another unit to get for the double sided. Lol. I heard that the maximum a disc can have with the current filesystem is 4.1GB. I think a bigger disc will boost MD on the whole, as people get hungry for capacity. So Sony, if you are reading this thread, please think about releasing such discs! :pleasantry:

Yes, 3.6GB would be sweet.

I've been down to my local electronics store this morning and was looking at the MP3 players. First time I've seen an Ipod shuffle in the flesh. Its so small its ridiculous! I'd end up losing that in not time!

Please bring out some higher capacity Hi-MD units, as its the perfect size for a portable. Big enough to be practical to use but small enough to carry about without fear of losing it!

Oh yes, a Hi-Fi deck or two would be nice as well..... :thank_you2:

Edited by MDGB2

The filing system used on Hi-MD is FAT, this has a partition limit of 2GB due to the 32k sector size limit.

BUT.....

If the drive itself formats it then it could get away with larger sectors, this will allow upto 4GB by using NT's 64k sector size but will not allow windows 95>ME to access the disc. It would also rule out disc tools etc but this should not cause any problems.

4GB would be the physical limit without partitions.

For over 2GB FAT 16 ( the file sistem of MS-DOS, Windows on basis installation) is not suitable.

Instead of FAT16 if Sony realizes a new brand of Hi-MD it could use the FAT32, so it cant permit about 1000 GB, and its fully compatible with Windows 95 (osr2 versions and others newsverions, like Win98,Winme,Win2000,Winxp and also Windows Vista).

Also this file sistem is suported for all versions of Linux, (I don't know if on Mac is suported), so it colud be use on a large systems.

And why not to produce a SonicStage version for Linux? in my opionion it would be very simple...the major platforms you control the best possibilites to male money, so....Sony come on!!!

:)

Also a Hi-MD deck and a HI-MD for my car woulb be so nice!! sure that i'll buy it :-)

Transferring 3.6GB of data at sub USB1.1 speed will be a pain in the @ss. :P

Only if you keep re-writing the media from scratch each time.

Thats the thing about large media, you only really overwrite the music / data you are bored with.

I dont think I have ever yet re-written the whole HDD on my 60GB AV500 jukebox, only ever added and removed the odd album.

Only if you keep re-writing the media from scratch each time.

Thats the thing about large media, you only really overwrite the music / data you are bored with.

I dont think I have ever yet re-written the whole HDD on my 60GB AV500 jukebox, only ever added and removed the odd album.

Try updating your Archos via a USB1.1 port. Even for small updates, USB1.1 is still painfully slow.

The filing system used on Hi-MD is FAT, this has a partition limit of 2GB due to the 32k sector size limit.

BUT.....

If the drive itself formats it then it could get away with larger sectors, this will allow upto 4GB by using NT's 64k sector size but will not allow windows 95>ME to access the disc. It would also rule out disc tools etc but this should not cause any problems.

4GB would be the physical limit without partitions.

Actually when I opened the HD files rather than going thru transfer Kliked Get Info and it said it was a UNIX file system......

?????? Get the Gate closed or the Dinos will get ya!

Hello all, I have listened to speak rumors that Sony could send a Minidisc of 3.6 totally compatible Gb with present reproducers Hi-Md, you you have listened to something?

Greetings

Very interesting!

I remember seeing a variable speed CLV LD disc demo from SONY about 11 years ago. It altered the tag list (I think that what LDs called their TOC info and speed) and it would give 2 hours of playback on one side of a disc, double the current capacity. It would work on current Laserdisc players and require, acording to SONY, a minor retooling of current LD mfgr plants.

So I believe anything is possible, and optical formats offer a great variety of formating!

WOW, huh?

Edited by MadDuck

Problem is, MD is MO, not plain optical.

Very good point!

I did a format hack to squeeze 1.3 GB out af an SFD-1000 drive back in the day, and that was straight magnetic!

More than one of my old 60 min MDs turned out to be 74 min

And the very fact that a Hi-MD format extends the capacity of an older non Hi-MD disk, gives me hope!!!

I've read many times the Hi-MD overview.

It looks like a tigher pit/valley format COULD be possible.

Anyway.......

We'll see!

This would be cool but I don't see it ever happening. Instead I see either MD eventually dies or gets an overhaul and comes up with a new format ditching Hi-MD.

Edit: I think I should rephrase. What I meant was it would still be like MD but based on newer updated technology and thus current Hi-MD tech wouldn't be used anymore.

Edited by Sparda

Yes, how's this petition going for a Hi-MD car unit?! We've mentioned it both here and on ATB, but when do we start it, get Sony, Kenwood or Onkyo moving?!

In the meantime, you can always look for the already-available Connects 2 ASONWHD001 (a.k.a. the MSC-01) as it will work with all Sony Xplod decks with Unilink inputs and CD TEXT capability and it also works with my MZ-NH700 and all Hi-MD Walkman units as well as the NW-HD and NW-A series of Network Walkmans.

Check out the sister forum, the AtracLife Colloquium for more details.

Hello all, I have listened to speak rumors that Sony could send a Minidisc of 3.6 totally compatible Gb with present reproducers Hi-Md, you you have listened to something?

Greetings

Anyone notice you're entertaining a post by a new member who mentioned a RUMOR? I mean, I love the idea as much as any MD lover here, but I think we're in touch with people with good connections with Sony and I think we would have heard something... no? (no offense, Quicksilver)

Anyone notice you're entertaining a post by a new member who mentioned a RUMOR? I mean, I love the idea as much as any MD lover here, but I think we're in touch with people with good connections with Sony and I think we would have heard something... no? (no offense, Quicksilver)

This Rumor has no basis in reality as far I as I'm concerned. You might as well said Mini Disc of 100GB.

Double-sided Minidiscs will never happen because the current recording system requires both sides of the Minidisc.

Information is recorded by using a magnetic head that actually is in contact with the disc. Information is not burned onto the disc by a laser but bits are augmented by the magnetic head touching the top of the disc. The is the reason why recording drains your battery so fast compared to reading. More torque from the motor is required because of friction between disc and head. However the advantage of this magneto-optical system is that nothing is burnt. The disc will last much much longer.

Information is read by using a laser that reads off the bottom of the disc.

Double-sided Minidiscs will never happen because the current recording system requires both sides of the Minidisc.

Information is recorded by using a magnetic head that actually is in contact with the disc. Information is not burned onto the disc by a laser but bits are augmented by the magnetic head touching the top of the disc. The is the reason why recording drains your battery so fast compared to reading. More torque from the motor is required because of friction between disc and head.

Not true as far as I understand things. Laser goes into higher power with writing, attemtping to heat the disc layer in order for the magnetic orientation to be changed by the magnetic head riding above it. The magnetic head taxes the battery, too. Add those together and you have more power use. The magnetic head itself is designed to be as smooth as possible. I don't know but personally doubt it will have much (or any) effect on power consumption due to the fact that it's physically making contact with the disc. If it does, I'd imagine it would be very minimal versus the higher laser power and magnetic head's toll on the battery/ power source.