MZ-E40 Pictorial

Rate this topic

MZ-E40 Pictorial

Hey guys! thanks for the great pictorials and reviews you guy post here. I love them. So I thought i should probably do my part for the community! A few weeks back, I was wondering through Victoria, BC (in Canada :P ) and stopped in a pawn shop and saw this beauty: an MZ-E40! It was priced at about 30$, but you could see the price had been cut a few times before. I asked to look at it and, as you can see, it was in near mint condition. He offered to let me try it out, so he popped in an MD but no sound came out of the head phones!

Anyways, thinking it was broken, the pawn broker didn't want it anymore, and i said i would take it anyways, so he gave it to me for free! I then realised why no sound would come out. The player is pre-MDLP and he didn't have any SP discs. So as soon as I got home, i tried an old disc i had of the Offspring, and boom, there was sound. I was a happy camper. Anyways, here are my photos of the player. If anyone else has this model, please tell us about it! Cheers!

post-1323-1175474662_thumb.jpgpost-1323-1175474671_thumb.jpg

post-1323-1175474679_thumb.jpgpost-1323-1175474691_thumb.jpg

post-1323-1175474701_thumb.jpgpost-1323-1175474708_thumb.jpg

post-1323-1175474713_thumb.jpg

Nice Score dude . Beautifull unit , I am Jealous . I love the older units they were just built better . That will last for awhile take care of it . I have an MZ-R50 that I still use .Same time period

Oh yeah I have the E50 next model after the 40 , It is playing on the stereo now,

Edited by Guitarfxr

Wow, cool. Don't you think you owe the guy for it then, as it's not broken?

What kind of battery does it take? If it's standard ones then that's fine, special LiIons may be hard to come by.

How does it sound compared to modern units?

MZ-E40 Pictorial

Anyways, here are my photos of the player. If anyone else has this model, please tell us about it! Cheers!

I have one and it was my first portable, came bundled with the notorious MDS-JE510 deck. The 510 is long-deceased, the E40, as far as I know, still works. I don't use it because I first replaced it with an MZ-R37SP, which had about 2.5x the battery life on 2 AAs, and then with several MZ-R500s, which are smaller than either of the preceding and have 10x the battery life on 1 AA than the E40. I also acquired an MZ-S1 along with a car MD unit I bought used, but the S1, too, sits there in a box. I also had a Sharp MD-MS702, which all too soon developed the dreaded UTOC Error. That one I tossed, eventually.

As for my E40, it's missing the cover to the battery compartment, but there is no way I get rid of that unit unless it doesn't work, even if I never use it again. Thanks for the pix, they're great.

I liked mine when I had it. I used it as a mini-deck next to the PC. The thing that got me was the battery life. It would chew through batteries like there was no tomorrow. :P

Yeah, about 4 hours on two AAs. Maybe 4.5 on a good day. Whenever I'd take a long flight, I'd have to bring along a bunch of batteries. It'd look like you still had enough time left on the batteries, according to the meter, and then bang! the thing'd just stop. Still, it was better than hauling around CDs and a (relatively) large CD player.

Edited by bluecrab

I have one and it was my first portable, came bundled with the notorious MDS-JE510 deck. The 510 is long-deceased, the E40, as far as I know, still works. I don't use it because I first replaced it with an MZ-R37SP, which had about 2.5x the battery life on 2 AAs, and then with several MZ-R500s, which are smaller than either of the preceding and have 10x the battery life on 1 AA than the E40. I also acquired an MZ-S1 along with a car MD unit I bought used, but the S1, too, sits there in a box. I also had a Sharp MD-MS702, which all too soon developed the dreaded UTOC Error. That one I tossed, eventually.

As for my E40, it's missing the cover to the battery compartment, but there is no way I get rid of that unit unless it doesn't work, even if I never use it again. Thanks for the pix, they're great.

Yeah, about 4 hours on two AAs. Maybe 4.5 on a good day. Whenever I'd take a long flight, I'd have to bring along a bunch of batteries. It'd look like you still had enough time left on the batteries, according to the meter, and then bang! the thing'd just stop. Still, it was better than hauling around CDs and a (relatively) large CD player.

Speaking of Battery life , I was at an Electronics store yesterday looking at the MD players ,and they have the HiMd players quoting 305 hour batt life ...........man things have changed. I am not kidding there was a pair of Victor MD players 250 -and 305 hours respectively,

http://www.i4u.com/article4397.html

Edited by Guitarfxr

Thanks for all the replies! I'm glad a bunch of you have memories of this little guy to share! :new_russian:

What kind of battery does it take? If it's standard ones then that's fine, special LiIons may be hard to come by.

It takes 2 AA batteries. I haven't tested them for how long they last, but i think my new 2500mAh rechargables would be an unfair test compared to how long regular alkalines were back in the day. (that is assuming that these new ones are better. I could be wrong but i would hope AA are getting better). As far as I'm reading, it seems that 2 - 2.5 hours is pretty good expectation.

How does it sound compared to modern units?

Well, I took my Offspring - Americana album and made 2 MDs (that i recorded digitally on my home deck in SP) and popped one into my E40 and one in my NH1 and played them. To make it a fair test, i had to leave EQs at 0 because the E40 bridges both channels of the bass when u engage Bass Boost. As much as i wish my NH1 would sound better, i have to say the E40 had a slightly warmer tone to it. I found the NH! to be more articulate, but it ended up sounding almost a bit too artificial in comparison.

I still have to try some other music to even out the comparison a bit, so maybe i'll come back with a follow up if my judgement changes.

Cheers :give_heart2:

Right now the vintage unit I am waiting to aquire is a brand new in box never opened MZ-F40. It's old, it's big and it's ugly, really it's in the same class as the MZ-E40. The thing is I actually want an MD unit that's actually ugly, and I would also buy an MZ-E40 if I found it brand new too. But the MZ-F40 is actually semi-useful even today as it's the only unit with an actual integrated AM/FM radio, which makes it big, ugly and unique. Those other's just had only FM and only in the remote, not in the actual unit. I like to collect the unit's with unique features, and this one is definantly on that list. However, since all my MD and MD related stuff I own was aquired brand new in box never opened, I'm not going to break that streak unless I actually find it NOS on eBay or Yahoo Japan, meaning it might be a long and eternal wait.

Edited by finalcoolman

I've got a new E40. Well, considering its true age, it's not really "new." It came in some deck/portable bundle that a friend gave to me last year. She used the deck and never touched the E40 since she had an N505 and R500. Now that the set is mine, I also use the deck and have never used the E40. It's a tank and very unappealing to use compared to my other units. The box is nice though. It's made of a very thick cardboard, not like the flimsy boxes these days. I might take some pics of the boxed set to complement your pictorial. This is the first time I've actually seen any interest in this oldie. Congrats on your find and enthusiasm!