Review of Sony MDR-NC22 Noise Canceling Headphones

Rate this topic

BIGHMW

Here it is, folks, as promised, my ATRAC Life/MDCF-exclusive review of Sony’s new MDR-NC22 noise canceling headphones, and here it is:

OVERVIEW:

I bought these on eBay as an alterative to my somewhat bulky MDR-NC6 headphones as well as replace my MDR-EX71SL and EX81SL earphones, which are notoriously low in volume when compared to other units.

I bought them through a seller on eBay on Monday March 26th and the came in on Thursday of that week, the package looked great, and includes the customary (as with all N.U.D.E EX Series phones) three sized silicon earbuds, a (throw away) “AAA” battery, airline plug adapter, and a nice black felt carrying case, as well as all the paperwork.

MDR-NC221.jpg

My first impression, after having read the specs on them off of SonyStyle was that they looked better built than their predecessors, the NC11/11A units, and that the battery box was smaller by about 39% over that on the NC11’s, I measured it against my RM-MC40ELK remote, which is part of my preferred audio setup, along with my MZ-NH700 Hi-MD Walkman, and when they were both put alongside each other, the battery box is actually a bit smaller then my remote and that it came with a spring-loaded clip for use on your shirt collar or pocket (see pics below for front and back shots).

MDR-NC222.jpg

MDR-NC223.jpg

ITEMS USED FOR TEST:

Sony MZ-NH700 Hi-MD Walkman > RM-MC40ELK Remote > MDR-NC22 Headphones with large-sized earbuds

EQ SETTINGS:

100 Hz; +9

250 Hz: +9

630 Hz: +6

1.6 KHz: +6

4 KHz: +9

10 KHz: +9

This setup allows more volume output from my measly 5mW Hi-MD Walkman, of course, your unit, experience and EQ-type (Mega Bass, Graphic or Parametric-based) and settings may vary.

MUSIC USED FOR TESTING:

Various artists and genres on six Hi-MD Compilations ranging from Rap/HipHop to Pop/Smooth Jazz, and Metal and Classic Rock.

THE SOUND TEST:

In order to make this unit more remote-friendly, especially with the ridiculously-long 1.5-meter (59”)-long cord, I used a couple of rubber bands and twist ties to shorten the cord to that of a remote-friendly flavor (later on I will have a repair tech shorten the cords permanently to the desired length on each end, about half the length on each), put the now-traditional “neck-chain”-style cord that most IEM’s and earbuds now have around my head, and plugged it into the remote. I like to use the remote for group/artist/track manipulation a lot, so bare with me, as I go over the reviews on certain tracks, although your picks may vary.

On Ice Cube “Check Yo’ Self (The Message Remix), I noticed that the bass was tight, though not over-powering (as noticeable by the absence of the deep, overpowering “subwoofer”-like effect on it, but overall on rap/hip-hop it wasn’t bad., on techno, it sounded great, again not as much bass as my NC6 cans, but you really can’t compare its 38mm drivers to the 13.5mm units on these, so the limitations do exist because of these aesthetics.

Next, Industrial, and Nine Inch Nails and Orgy, overall I thought that they sounded great, highs were high (as always with N.U.D.E EX units), lows were low and on these as opposed to the older EX series, the midrange was actually present, and not recessed or filtered out like it was on older units.

Next, Metal and Thrash, and one of the best thrash bands in the business, Slayer, and their 2001 hit, “Bloodline”, It sounded just as good on these as it did on the NC6’s, if not better, as Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman’s razor sharp guitar work sounded as sharp as ever, as its edgy Marshall 4x12 stack-driven tone (which is typical of most metal/thrash) came through with such detailed definition, the same can be said with Type O Negative and their 10-minute + mini-epic “Black No.1”, again simply outstanding on it, and since these are all post-2000 masters (remastered to “digital +0 dB to +3 dB on a VU meter), they all required me to turn my unit down from my desired 20/30 to 15/30 on the volume scale, the same as I had to once do on my old classic MDR-A34 headphones.

Now Pop and Smooth Jazz, the response on them was great overall although on some quieter (usually older masters or quieter music) passages on some tracks it made me turn that volume back up to 20/30 in order to accommodate the lack of output from my unit, compare today’s units to those from even 15 let alone 20 years ago,

…and I DID!

On my vintage 1991 (pre-1996 EU volume cap/pre-AVLS) WM-B47 cassette Walkman, with both high and low tones set at the maximum on the Mega Bass setting, and cranking up old tapes of Great White and Dio, it REALLY performed on it, even at ½ volume output and the bass and treble were rich and more present on them.

Now, back to the Hi-MD, and Classic Rock, and on Blue Oyster Cult’s smash 1981 track, “Burnin’ For You”, it performed well, as also with Led Zeppelin’s “Living Loving Maid”, and also a super-compilation of Rainbow, and also on a few other tracks from other bands as well, especially on Emerson Lake & Palmer 20-minute + multi-part epic “Tarkus”, again not overpowering bass, but definitely better than on the older EX units., and unlike my MDR-NC6 cans, the bass doesn’t “drown out” other frequencies across the spectrum. These IEM’s actually have BOTH bass AND presence, and also more importantly, definition, revealing material on my Hi-MD’s that my NC6’s were missing completely. It doesn’t take the brains of a bikini model with a bachelor’s degree in business like my former high school classmate, the great Cindy Margolis to figure that out.

NOISE CANCELING:

It did astonishingly well, especially compared to my MDR-NC6 units, in which to simulate noise-isolation like other over-the-head phones, I had to rig a pair of earpads from a spare pair of MDR-V300 units, and all that did was hamper the noise-canceling performance of my NC6 cans, in fact, it seemed to make the outside noise, like the refrigerator or air conditioner, a bit transparent or even a bit louder when compared to the NC22’s which canceled it out greatly. When it comes to the noise canceling ability of the NC22’s, I prefer them over the NC6’s. That along the fact that the 22 units sound better than the 6’s do, makes me want to switch to them in my regular lineup, I only wish that Sony would have thought of maybe using a shorter (less length) cord on BOTH ends of the battery box, which looks great alongside my RM-MC40ELK remote, as well as include both an extension cord and a ¼” plug adapter, those would have been nice to allow those with remote control personal units to use a shorter length with the option of using a longer piece either for home hi-fi or other units at will.

I just wondered what any of you, especially our Japanese users, who were the first to get a hold of these think of my review, your input would greatly help.

It sounds like to me with the EQ setting that you were using , that you have Damaged Hearing. Eq set at that level only introduces Distortion and Noise into the signal Path . I am an Audio Engineer and I very Rarely even turn the Megabass on much less all the way up . When you crank up the levels on the EQ you KILL the Headroom of the output amplifier that drives the phones.

I have worked with the Sony MP3056 mixing board ( do some research ) and every other piece of gear out there , I think your review needs to be revised.

There's no point in cranking every EQ band up to the maximum, you'll achieve the higher volume without the distortion by just raising the volume.

On the plus side, I certainly welcome a review of these phones. Given the popularity if the S70X series that come with these it's good to know that the headphones upon which they're reliant can hold their own. I think you're right about the unusually long cord, I can't see that being useful to anyone, these aren't generally for home use after all.

It sounds like to me with the EQ setting that you were using , that you have Damaged Hearing. Eq set at that level only introduces Distortion and Noise into the signal Path . I am an Audio Engineer and I very Rarely even turn the Megabass on much less all the way up . When you crank up the levels on the EQ you KILL the Headroom of the output amplifier that drives the phones.

I have worked with the Sony MP3056 mixing board ( do some research ) and every other piece of gear out there , I think your review needs to be revised.

I, TOO am in the music business as evident with my CD you see as the avatar, but I see your point there, I have a slightly damaged hearing setup, being both onstage and in front of the stage (and occasionally in the mosh pit) I know where you are coming from.

I will address this issue with my doctor soon, as I do admit for the 13 years I have been in this business (see my official website for more details including my discography both in the metal/thrash and rap genres) that I never have used earplugs (like Hearos, etc.) and I think you have a pretty good point there dude.

Edited by BIGHMW

I tried it, you are indeed right about the volume and the headroom, but I have always been a stickler for more tingle (treble) and more BOOM (bass), but I DO see where you are coming from, but doesn't the higher output from the amp wear both the amp (and the life of the unit) and the battery down faster?

Good thing I have a LinkPlus (CTA Digital IP-SRS) SRS-88 Surround Sound Headphone Converter, which also amplifies (to some extent, but not to that of a Boostaroo, too big to lug around!) the volume allowing me to exploit that headroom you mentioned. At least that will save both battery and amplifier life on my unit.

Actually the Bass frequencies are harder to control and that is what Most of the energy usage comes from , High freq's are less like transient peaks and require much less power to control but Bass in order to keep it solid , requires 5 times as much power.

That is why if you look at your speakers ( inside them) the woofer is set up for 150-200 watts , and the Highs will be at a 20 watt power rating .

The less EQ the less power , more headroom . cleaner sound . Distortion is an amps enemy . when the signal path gets distorted it places a HEAVY burden on the amp , because the Amp is now trying to control A sine wave that is no longer symetrical , or stable . Processing a Broken sine wave puts the amp in a state of flux , ( which if left there your amp will be ......just change a couple of letters)

Guitar amps are different , we are talking audio here

Edited by Guitarfxr

I see, as a matter of fact I also took up electronics training over 20 years ago but never knew that even back then. I will try to tune my ears to hear more bass with less tweeking of my onboard EQ, as a matter of fact I have just purchased a pair of custom Etymotic silicone eartips for my NC22's on eBay that have more isolation and enhance the frequencies without having to re-EQ everything.

More noise isolation and cancellation = louder audio output with less amp drive, therefore prolonging the life of both the amp and the battery and the better everything sounds.

BTW, these same eartips are also available for Skullcandy, Koss, Apple, and Shure IEM's as well as Sony and Etymotic, here is the suction off of eBay for all of you who want higher output from your N.U.D.E EX pipes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...p;rd=1&rd=1

Try listening to Dream Theater "Awake " with no EQ whatsoever , and not thru the phones , a clean amp and decent speakers , just listen , listen to the mix, listen to the spread , detail , tone color, just listen .

With damaged hearing you will not hear what those with normal hearing will hear, but you WIll get a better sense of How to mix so that those llistening to what you record , are hearing what Should be and not what YOU hear .

Undrestanding that you have damaged hearing should make you aware that your mixing skills will be severely limited.

I have a Sony Silver Mic award under my belt . Your ears are the most important TOOLs you have in the studio , if they are damaged you cannot trust them. So you have to change their reference point , in order to use them . Beethovens last peices were written when he was completely deaf. He worked from a different Reference point .

Cool tip, thanks.

My management, Len Enders of Label Cove Entertainment would agree with you, he has been in the music business as both a performer and as a producer for over 20 years, and I have to admit that in my project studio, HMW Studio One, here at BIGHMW.com Headquarters in Port Townsend, Washington, I both monitor my recordings and listen to them with no EQ on my Sony SRS-Z750 speakers and MDR-V300 headphones straight out.

It sounds pretty good on those, and I actually prefer that setup and will retune my ears to hear more with less (volume, EQ tweeking, etc.) effort.

Cool tip, thanks.

My management, Len Enders of Label Cove Entertainment would agree with you, he has been in the music business as both a performer and as a producer for over 20 years, and I have to admit that in my project studio, HMW Studio One, here at BIGHMW.com Headquarters in Port Townsend, Washington, I both monitor my recordings and listen to them with no EQ on my Sony SRS-Z750 speakers and MDR-V300 headphones straight out.

It sounds pretty good on those, and I actually prefer that setup and will retune my ears to hear more with less (volume, EQ tweeking, etc.) effort.

Great news from the siste forum on ATRAC Life:

Thanks for the thoughtful review. We shall feature your review accordingly by the blog. :)

*moved to 'phones section of the forum

If I had to wear either set onboard a plane or to shut out outside noise (like traffic or street constuction noise), I would DEFINITELY use the NC22's over the NC6's, although the NC6's have batter bass (although it "drowns out" other frequencies) and rate 106 dB (at 24 ohms) as opposed to the NC22's 102 dB (at 20 ohms, both with noise canceling on), but also IMO, 106 dB would be WAY too much for IEM's, even though the NC 11/11A had that, and the A34SP/L passive vertical in-the-ear setup had a whopping 108 dB sensitivity at only 16 ohms

There is a guy on the MDCF on this very same topic who DID reommend I de-tweek the EQ and just simply boost the volume in order to get more headroom that my EQ may be killing, maybe it's time for me to invest in either a Boostaroo or a CMOY amp or even the award-winning (and highly-backed up with a lifetime no-fault warranty at that!) PAVA2 amp (available though http://www.Electric-Avenues.com or on eBay).