analog recording: tape -> mini disc

Rate this topic

inovermyhead

Hey, I just received my new rh1 in the mail and trying to copy a few old cassette tapes to cd. What I have been doing so far is using a mini-plug stereo cable from the tape player's headphone out to the mic in of the rh1. Is there a better way to do this? The tape player is ancient and doesn't have an optical out. The recordings I have gotten so far have sounded kind of muffled.

My recording settings were: manual, low sensitivity.

The recorder wouldn't let me set recording levels. I am still getting used to the controls so I may have done something incorrectly.

I really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Donald

Hey, I just received my new rh1 in the mail and trying to copy a few old cassette tapes to cd. What I have been doing so far is using a mini-plug stereo cable from the tape player's headphone out to the mic in of the rh1. Is there a better way to do this? The tape player is ancient and doesn't have an optical out. The recordings I have gotten so far have sounded kind of muffled.

My recording settings were: manual, low sensitivity.

The recorder wouldn't let me set recording levels. I am still getting used to the controls so I may have done something incorrectly.

I really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Donald

The Optical in is also Standard Line input ,....DO NOT USE THE MIC input you will damage it, go to the LINE input.

To set rec level , Hold down the Display/Menu button for a couple of secs, then use the jog on the side of the RH1 to scroll thru the menus, When you see "Rec Setting" push the jog in, another menu Scroll till you see Rec Level. Push the jog in , then choose.

Edited by Guitarfxr

oh crap, good to know. You don't think I could have all ready damaged it do you? I recorded like maybe, 10 minutes in the mic input at about 20-25% volume on the tape player.

If I use the line input, what should I set the tape recorder volume to?

Set the volume on the Tape deck to about 7 /10 or 8/10 any higher you get the distortion from the headphone amp , then adjust the levels on the RH1 untill the VU meter is -2 or -3 at highest peak ( even a little lower would be ok )

You did get a manual with it didnt you ? sometimes the manuals arent written very well , but it is VERY important to chk them first, just the graphics can help you figure stuff out

I actually did read the manual but didn't see anything about not being able to use a mini plug to mini plug stereo cable from an output to the mic input. Actually, not much at all is said about recording on the rh1 in this manual.

Do I have the have a special cable to use the line in? Is the "optical mini plug" the same thing as a 3.5" stereo mini plug(example below)

http://www.camcor.com/cgi-bin/cat/id=1137506332&src=fg

I am sorry for being paranoid, but Do you think I have damaged my rh1 by using the mic input in this irresponsible way? It is brand new after all :)

I appreciate the help.

Try a microphone in your mic jack. It's probably fine. If you don't have a microphone, plug your stereo headphones into the mic jack, start recording and yell at them. They will work like weak microphones--you'll get a tinny voice recording. (Note that if you use a mono mic, with one circle around the plug, rather than a stereo mic, which has a plug with two circles around it like your headphones, it will only record on the left channel--it doesn't mean you have broken anything.)

The line-in jack takes two different kinds of plugs. It will accept the stereo miniplug you were using and record an analog signal. It will also accept an optical plug if you are recording from something with an optical out. Obviously your cassette player doesn't have optical out, so the miniplug-to-miniplug cable is all you need.

If for some reason the mic input is damaged, hey, you're under warranty. But it seems unlikely to me that a headphone level signal would fry anything.

Also, about setting levels. If you have already gone into the menus once and set Manual level under REC Settings/REC LEVEL, then all you have to do is jog the jog lever up or down while recording to change the level while recording. You'll see it on the display if you move the jog lever.