Sharp Auvi SD-FX100

Rate this topic

A few months ago I purchased this beauty on ebay, althought the item's description indicated it was not perfect but in working condition I had a bad surprise when I received it and tried to power it on, it was dead! I took it to several service centers, most of them didn't had a clue about the nature of this item. I tried to read the user manual but it's 100% in Japanese! I found out this unit was originally made for 100 Volts, so I got a voltage converter which although was great didn't do a lot for my SD-FX100 the power supply was dead and it needed the transformer to be wired again so I got it done. I just pick it up again and it was brought to life again, great CD, tape, radio and MD (LP2 & LP4) player plus AUX input jack. Watching it working was such a great relief. It has two funny lights (which I still don't know how to turn them off) It plays CD Text and sychro transfers from everything to MD it features Surround soung and my only complaint would be the Cassette Deck is not autoreversible. Now I'm transfering my old cassette tape collection onto MD nice and easy. Remote is in Japanesse but after a few tries I have a good idea about what are the buttons for. This is by far the prettiest boombox I have ever had.

It's a real shame I haven't find any useful information for this model yet around. Check out the pictures I took of it.

sd-fx100.jpg

snap0153.jpg

snap0155.jpg

snap0156.jpg

Everyone would love a HiMD boombox, with USB computer interfase of course. It's crazy how SONY has managed all this MD stuff, Sharp did very cool things, i kept tons of cassette tapes and most of that is speech stuff and radio broadcasts so I needed something to transfer them into MD preferibly on LP2 or LP4 since it's radio. That's the main reason to acquire the SD-FX100.

You can still find MD Boomboxes once in a while, I never saw one before in Mexico (where I live) once I purchase a mini bookshelf system with SP and MONO recording capabilities, CD player but I don't recall to have it with cassette deck.

The MD-CD2 it's another example of format capabilities, it has AM FM Radio, 3 cd's and 3 MD's charger! plus one cassette deck, as with SD-FX100 doesn't do autoreverse which would be really cool when transfering on MD. MD-CD2 records in SP only and has no CD Text capabilities.

I wish SHARP could do HiMD mini systems and boomboxes again.

Below is picture of MD-CD2 by Sharp

mdcd2-1.jpg

that's a beautiful system. i currently have a mini system "SONY DHC-MD555" which is a 5 CD and 5 MD minidisc changer minisystem. I bought this so can record radio programs and listen to them later. this is also an SP stereo/mono system only. Still works to this day and I use it everyday.

I have had the MD-CD2 for 5 years and still working! they are robust products, lately I've experienced short live electronics, as if they were made with an internal life clock which determines how long will they live most of the times less than 2 years.

In Mexico MD systems were sold by retailers such as Walmart, OfficeDepot and Sears, but not anymore, Sears carry only portable MD's, old models. Since I've been involved on radio most of my collegues still use (and love) MD.