Busted RH1

Rate this topic

reefbeef

I pulled my RH1 out of my bag at work yesterday and, as normal, plugged in my headphones and pressed play. The unit started making an unfamiliar noise like it was trying to read the disc and wouldn't play. It makes the noise for about 5 seconds, then stops for about 1 second, then starts again. In the display is only the 'walkman' logo.

I've tried ejecting and reinserting the disc, different discs, take out battery and replace, recharge, even gave it a couple of good punches. Nothing seems to be snapping it out of whatever it's doing.

Any suggestions? Anyone else encounter this?

I pulled my RH1 out of my bag at work yesterday and, as normal, plugged in my headphones and pressed play. The unit started making an unfamiliar noise like it was trying to read the disc and wouldn't play. It makes the noise for about 5 seconds, then stops for about 1 second, then starts again. In the display is only the 'walkman' logo.

I've tried ejecting and reinserting the disc, different discs, take out battery and replace, recharge, even gave it a couple of good punches. Nothing seems to be snapping it out of whatever it's doing.

Any suggestions? Anyone else encounter this?

logic chip.......still under warranty?

Edited by Guitarfxr

logic chip.......still under warranty?

Actually, it may be. I got it right when it came out from minidisc canada. Just checked their website and it may have a 1 yr warrantee. My order was placed 6/21/2007.

I just found out that I can still get into the menus by holding down the menu button, and that comes up on the screen. Not that I can do anything with that. The unit keeps making the noise and can't read the disc. Does ur diagnosis still stand? It sounds appropriate to me...

What causes the logic chip to go bad? Did I bang it too hard in my bag? Dust?

Thanks...

Actually, it may be. I got it right when it came out from minidisc canada. Just checked their website and it may have a 1 yr warrantee. My order was placed 6/21/2007.

I just found out that I can still get into the menus by holding down the menu button, and that comes up on the screen. Not that I can do anything with that. The unit keeps making the noise and can't read the disc. Does ur diagnosis still stand? It sounds appropriate to me...

What causes the logic chip to go bad? Did I bang it too hard in my bag? Dust?

Thanks...

If you still have menus then i think BobT might be right , it still needs to go back .

oops, I meant 2006. Minidisc Canada said they cannot replace, although their website says some items are guaranteed for a year. They also said send it back to Sony.

My NH1 did the same thing, was an "optical unit" replaced the part free, but charged me $80.00 USD for an out of warranty unit. Send it back.

Bob

How long did it take to get it back?

Thanks everyone...this is the first MD unit I've had break down on me. My MZ-R90, DR-7, NH1 all still work fine. $80 is better than $300 for a new one.

If it's not under warrantee, I might as well send it to Sony USA, right? I'm in Chicago...

If you have a Sony repair depot in Chi town, I would try them first. For me, I am on a very small island, what I did is give my unit to a friend who lives in Indiana, but comes here quite often, I think the Sony place only had it a couple of days.

Good luck

Bob

If you have a Sony repair depot in Chi town, I would try them first. For me, I am on a very small island, what I did is give my unit to a friend who lives in Indiana, but comes here quite often, I think the Sony place only had it a couple of days.

Good luck

Bob

try a different MD before u send the unit for repair.

maybe the MD is faulty.

Does the unit go past the Walkman logo when no disc is inserted? If yes, then the laser circuit probably needs adjustment. Have you tried different types of discs (1Gb HiMD, Hi-MD formatted MD, MD)?

Yes, it would say "no disc" when no disc inserted. I did not try different types of discs other than 1Gb HiMD.

The manual says to contact www.sony.com/walkmansupport

I went to this site and found a helpful repair page. It took my credit card number and asked when the unit was purchased. I entered the info and it said the unit is still under parts warrantee provided I provide proof of purchase and that labor would be around $29 dollars. It gave me a printout with a barcode and instructions for sending to Laredo, TX.

Sent it out yesterday via US priority mail (cost $8.10). I'll post updates...

Either I'm crazy, or not, but I got to laser readjustments the next day I got my first RH1, after getting READ ERRORs with HiMD formatted MDs recorded by the RH10. The second RH1 I received never had a chance to glitch, since I readjusted its laser before it played anything.

Would you care to share how? I can't try it because mine is on it's way to Laredo, TX, but for the sake of the quality of this thread it'd be nice for the procedure to be in here. Also, I 'll probably have to do it at some point as will others...

Well, as I've already said, I had problems with the unit reading HiMD formatted MDs the next day I bought it. This was really unpleasant. Then I remembered that I once had a Masters degree in Quantum Electronics, and immediately found out that the laser power for reading MDs was set too high. Really too high!!! Just decreased it by 200 mW, and the ERRORS disappeared. Then decreased it by 200 mW more, and that's the power settings I am using now.

The whole idea is that SONY no longer adjust lasers. They just set them to TOO MUCH power, so that they die sooner.

Edited by Avrin

Well, as I've already said, I had problems with the unit reading HiMD formatted MDs the next day I bought it. This was really unpleasant. Then I remembered that I once had a Masters degree in Quantum Electronics, and immediately found out that the laser power for reading MDs was set too high. Really too high!!! Just decreased it by 200 mW, and the ERRORS disappeared. Then decreased it by 200 mW more, and that's the power settings I am using now.

The whole idea is that SONY no longer adjust lasers. They just set them to TOO MUCH power, so that they die sooner.

You were asked ..How did you adjust the Laser on the RH1 ?

You never answered that . It would improve Battery life , stability , and longevity .

Edited by Guitarfxr

I'll describe again what I've done in my particular situation. I had READ ERRORs when attempting to load legacy 80-minute discs formatted in HiMD. What it took was going to address 0124 in service mode, and decreasing the value there from 41 down to 3D (the value my RH10 had), which led to the disappearance of READ ERRORS, and then further down to 39, which changed nothing, except the laser now wears slower. The second RH1 had its original value at address 0124 set at 40, which I lowered down to 39 as soon as it arrived (after removing the Euro cap). BTW, the default (reset) value for address 0124 is only 35.

As for other format discs, different addresses need to be changed, like 0121, 0122, and 0123. But in my case the values at these addresses were the same in the RH10 and in the RH1, and I had no problems with other formats.

• 2 weeks later...

I have some updates...I received the following email from the repair center in Laredo:

We are pleased to inform you that the repair of your HI-MD PLAYER/RECORDER, Model #: MZRH1 has been completed. We are currently preparing this unit for shipping. It will be returned via UPS, 3rd Day Service. We have already charged a total of $77.00 to your account. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Regards,

Laredo Customer Satisfaction Center

Customer Service Rep.

Phone (866) 357 - 6230

Fax (956) 728 - 2132

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I responded by asking if they could tell me what was wrong with the unit. Here is their answer:

According to our Technician’s evaluation, the unit needed only one part replaced. The OP Service Assy was faulted and needed replacing. After the unit was repaired, we sent it to our Quality Assurance Team who determined that the repair was a success. If you have any more questions, please feel free to contact us.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone know what the OP Service Assy (assembly?) is?

• 5 weeks later...

I'll describe again what I've done in my particular situation. I had READ ERRORs when attempting to load legacy 80-minute discs formatted in HiMD. What it took was going to address 0124 in service mode, and decreasing the value there from 41 down to 3D (the value my RH10 had), which led to the disappearance of READ ERRORS, and then further down to 39, which changed nothing, except the laser now wears slower. The second RH1 had its original value at address 0124 set at 40, which I lowered down to 39 as soon as it arrived (after removing the Euro cap). BTW, the default (reset) value for address 0124 is only 35.

As for other format discs, different addresses need to be changed, like 0121, 0122, and 0123. But in my case the values at these addresses were the same in the RH10 and in the RH1, and I had no problems with other formats.

from where do you know these values? is there a reference somehwere?

thanks

from where do you know these values? is there a reference somehwere?

thanks

There is a service manual (RH1's) available for download in the downloads section. That tells you everything you need to know, except for how to actually get into service mode, but there are threads for that.