TOSLINK-SPDIF connection.

Rate this topic

Hello, dear comrades!

I've been trying to figure out how I can take advantage of the optical input in my MZ-RH1.

I have two SPDIF outputs (3.5 jacks) on my laptop and I am pretty sure there should be a cable that connects those two holes with the the optical hole in my beautiful RH1.

So, the question is - how do I do that?

Thanks.

Hello, dear comrades!

I've been trying to figure out how I can take advantage of the optical input in my MZ-RH1.

I have two SPDIF outputs (3.5 jacks) on my laptop and I am pretty sure there should be a cable that connects those two holes with the the optical hole in my beautiful RH1.

Thanks.

are you on a Macbook ? it is Optical in and out , the Line in is also optical (dual function input) and the out is also dual function

any good audio place will have the cables

Hello, dear comrades!

Thanks.

mmmm,, well,, if you DO have TWO optical outputs;; i have an Optical SPLITTER that can split the optical signal;; i think i bought it at Radio Shack.. (just use it in reverse)..

can't imagine WHY u would want to do this;; but there IS an optical splitter out there;; probably on e-bay since RS discontinued all Toslink thinggys (i think)..

Edited by rayzray

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

mmmm,, well,, if you DO have TWO optical outputs;; i have an Optical SPLITTER that can split the optical signal;; i think i bought it at Radio Shack.. (just use it in reverse)..

can't imagine WHY u would want to do this;; but there IS an optical splitter out there;; probably on e-bay since RS discontinued all Toslink thinggys (i think)..

Sorry to drag up an oldish topic but just for reference of anyone who fancies doing this, there is not a chance in hell that this will work. The optical splitter you have will be for splitting an source to two different destinations, using it effectively in reverse won't work.

Look for an optical digital cable with 3.5mm jacks on both ends, not the Toslink-standard ones, with are usually Toslink to Toslink, or Toslink to 3.5mm jack. You should find some. In fact I will be needing some too to go with the portable CD player with optical out I intend to buy sometime soon.

*edit* I suddenly noticed... you wan to connect both optical outputs to your recorder's input?!

I'm not sure how that can be achieved... you actually have a laptop with two optical ouputs?! Pretty rare, are you sure one isn't an optical in, & the other an out?!

He has OPT. OUT and OPT. IN , that is standard on all new Laptops . The plugs are side by side with nothing really written to easily distinguish them.

WHAT IF you convert TWO optical outs into coaxal (like i do to enter my PC#1);; then,, can the two coaxal outputs be combined??

and,, did god invent digital mixers yet?? i thought i saw one in heaven (Guitar Center)..

Just relaying a message

" Ray ...this is God , I created EVERYTHING , I am just giving you silly humans time to figure that out . And instead you think YOU created it ,

Discovered , or Figured out , I can accept , ....But Created ???? The Higgs Boson particle ...... Just who does Higgs Boson think he is ?

Earth still sorta belongs to me , now pay the rent ! "

Just relaying a message

" Ray ...this is God , I created EVERYTHING , I am just giving you silly humans time to figure that out . And instead you think YOU created it ,

Discovered , or Figured out , I can accept , ....But Created ???? The Higgs Boson particle ...... Just who does Higgs Boson think he is ?

Earth still sorta belongs to me , now pay the rent ! "

don't know this guy/God;; is he from Boston?? i live near there..

i (rayzray) love playing god;; but it is a risky business;; i kinda like to be known as the "Nice" god..

you know;; this optical thing is reving up my inactive ulcer;; cause i bought a (VIDEO "Y" cable) with the three YELLOW ends;; not to long ago and i am so AFRAID of playing god and using it the Wrong-Way;; like i don't know which end is which..

like i can play two VCR units into ONE scene?? !!!!

would this work with TWO DVD players;; and can i take the optical outputs of the TWO units and merge them together like this guy want to do?? can i?? can I?? !!

*as i cut "Spindrift by Rush up into many pieces*

Edited by rayzray