Microphones for specific jobs

Rate this topic

ratbagradio

I have two mics:

Sony ECM DS30P -- which I use for close in interviewing, even in noisy envirornments. But it stil picks up a lot opf the ambient sound.

# Electret condenser

# Stereo

# -40 dB

# Uni-directional

# 39 dB

# 100 – 10000 Hz

And a Visovox SCM-PRO (2 mics on a stereo lead but I can separate a mic and use it singly). this is a wide pickup arc and it grabs so much of the recording envirornment. It's a very versatile pickup mic.

#frequency response (20 to 20,000 Hz)

But i want to get a mic that grabs sound close in only and blocks out much of the background . I don't want a make I want to know the attributes I need to look for in a plug in power model. I want, in effect, a better hand help interview mic I can wave about a foot from the speaker's mouth . so that I end up getting primarily only the person speakingand much less of the ambient activity sound.

I have two mics:

Sony ECM DS30P -- which I use for close in interviewing, even in noisy envirornments. But it stil picks up a lot opf the ambient sound.

And a Visovox SCM-PRO (2 mics on a stereo lead but I can separate a mic and use it singly). this is a wide pickup arc and it grabs so much of the recording envirornment. It's a very versatile pickup mic.

But i want to get a mic that grabs sound close in only and blocks out much of the background . I don't want a make I want to know the attributes I need to look for in a plug in power model. I want, in effect, a better hand help interview mic I can wave about a foot from the speaker's mouth . so that I end up getting primarily only the person speakingand much less of the ambient activity sound.

ECM 959a has a 90 position and a 120 position ( narrowing the stereo field) and is an M/S configured mic which means the stuff in front of the mic will get more attention at the 90degree setting, and will have a nice ambient at the 120 setting .

It is less output than the AT 822 , and also Darker , the AT 822 is Bright and airy and gets ALOT of the ambient .

the 959 is very good for voice , and the cable length is just about right .

Freqs on the 959 are 30 - 18khz or so and it is fairly quiet

just my two cents

It seems like what you want would be like a stage vocal mic, which has to boost the voice while ignoring the rest of the band. It concentrates on voice frequencies (so NOT a flat frequency response but a bump in the midrange) and has a narrow pickup area. Look at the Shure SM58 specs.

http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Products/Wir...SM58-CN_content

Similarly, the Sennheiser MD46 is promoted as a "handheld interview" microphone (you might Google that phrase).

Both of those are dynamic mics with XLR connectors, not a condenser with a miniplug. You'd need an adapter.

You should try a music or pro audio store to see if they have a condenser vocal mic with similar characteristics. Radio stations, etc., must have a lot of use for exactly what you need.

https://www.audiolinks.com/tek9/tek9.asp?pg...cific=jnnodqfpe

Edited by A440

My community radio staion uses the Sony standard. for MD. But I'll try the low sensitivity option --and you are right --a vocal mic is what I should seek out (but thats' closer than I was after -- I don't want to suck the thing)-- but I was hoping to get one in plug-in-power format rather than pay for the pro models and buy a pre-amp\ to lug around.