FM on E500 and a600 series is it mono?

Rate this question

madleet3

Question

20 answers to this question

The Australian (AsiaPacific) E505 picks up stereo FM.

Possibly it may revert to mono if the FM signal is weak. I have an old Technics tuner which does that.

btw anyone knows whats does the local and dX settingfor FM means?

i was testing the asia set but dont seems to works or any effect

Seems to be concerned with the sensitivity when tuning and selecting FM stations.

Buried on page 41 of the manual:

If several unnecessary stations are received

If interference is prevalent and reception is too strong, press the REPEAT/SOUND button to set to "Local".

Under normal conditions, press REPEAT/SOUND button again to set to "DX"

ooh didnt read manual

ehhe not a bookworm chap ehe

i am a test and listurn person first ehhe

so if from what u mentioned above

LOCAL setting seems like mono?

and DX is kinda like stereo? maybe

No it don`t think so because Local setting just to prevent interferance etc

As STUGE says I don't think it is Local=mono or DX=stereo. More like a reduced sensitivity to the signal or a filter to reduce interference. The manual mentions this a few times but without any detailed explanation.

As STUGE says I don't think it is Local=mono or DX=stereo. More like a reduced sensitivity to the signal or a filter to reduce interference. The manual mentions this a few times but without any detailed explanation.

Actually that may not be that far off. I'm fairly sure that when there is a poor signal or interference, setting the audio to Mono reduces that. On the same note, you'd be losing the Stereo signal, so you'd only want to set it to Local (or Mono) if interference is prevalent... On the other hand, why not just name it Mono vs Stereo? =/

cool thx

btw i went to compare

E508 and A608

the FM wise

seems like A608 donthave DX or local setting and strange its auto seacrh the FM stations more sensitive and got more stereo effect compare to E500 series with DX and local setting anyone tested one on your local shops?

Hello,

The NW-E507 is stereo. However, the stereo switching threshold is rather high. I guess Sony has opted for a tradeoff of a clear mono signal vs. a noisy stereo signal. Still, the stereo switching threshold seems rather high.

As they say, for best reception extend the listening device cord to the fullest length.

I find recepiton in an urban area to be rather good. I suspect outlying areas distant from the transmistter sites may have issues with stereo reception.

Paul

Hello,

A review of the service manual schematics shows the NW-E507 uses the Philips TEA5767 IC. The IC is for FM stereo. It can easily be seen in the schematic that the IC is used in a stereo fashion. Not a bad radio IC at all. In my experience, Philips makes superior chips for consumer radio.

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the FM radio when I bought the NW-E507.

Paul

i went full time testing my e500 and my old MD fm's tuner

over allyea is got more power to hold the reception but due to some stations is more prone to mono

while my MD'FM is able to equallize them well

wow where u all got the detials of the e500 ?