Hi-MD for Macs users?

Rate this topic

marc-hd

Hi i'm new here, i've been using md for almost 7 years and for me it's the best format. I have always used them with windows but now i have to change my computer and i would like to buy a mac. The only think that worries me is how will my units work on a mac?? what can i do with my mz-rh1, rh910 and my mz-n510 on a mac? i'm sure some of you have macs and i would appreciate all the information you could give me.

Thanks in advance. And sorry about my poor english

Marc

MZ-RH1 - You will be able to upload anything you record with the unit in PCM/Hi-SP/Hi-LP formats (all uploads are uploaded as WAV, as there is no Atrac3+ support on Mac). You will also be able to download Mp3/WAV directly to the unit.

MZ-RH910 - You will be able to download Mp3/WAV to the unit. No uploads of anything recorded on this unit (though you may be able to upload discs that were recorded on the RH1).

MZ-N510 - Nothing.

P.S. you won't be able to upload any recordings you made via PC/SonicStage. Only Mic/Line-in.

---

Hope this helps some, be sure you get the newest version of the mac transfer software from the downloads section.

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

Edited by raintheory

Thanks for your reply. Are you using a mac? can u edit tittles make groups on the computer and then tranfer them to the md unit?

MD Transfer 2.0 download from SOny . I am om a MacbookPro and a Macbook

I have the RH1 , you can find the manual for that software here or at Sony .

Everything from the RH1 uploads as a WAV file ........ HilP,HiSP,PCM all come to the desktop as WAV . SO that will let you import to any audio editor ( Plug for Audacity goes here) but also GarageBand for adding stuff to songs your working on etc.

DO NOT USE VERISON 1 that is on your RH1 CD , download version 2 The new macs will not like Version 1 and will curse at you and throw things at you , and then kill your dog. ...Version 1 BAD

Groups = Yes, although I never do

MP3 = Yes , as long as they are 44.1 and not 48khz , bitrate can be whatever128 ,320 ,64(eeeeewwww)

Transfer Uploaded file from RH1 to different MD = I dont think so , read the manual for 2.0

redownload to RH1 = No ,1 way street here , no left turn either. Uploaded files cannot be redownloaded to same Machine. and conersely Downloaded cannot be Uploaded

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/BroadcastandBusin...acv20manual.pdf

Edited by Guitarfxr

Hi everyone,

well, as a frequent reader of the forums (and thank you for all the tips and help you've given me over the last few years!) - I think this is the first time I've posted!

At the moment I've got an MZ-NH900 which I use purely for recording live gigs- usually in Hi-SP. (although I do have BOXES of archive gigs in SP-but I realise it's the RH-1 I'm going to have to get to upload these via usb in the future!). Anyway- I've been interested to read re the Mac/md problems - as at the moment I'm also considering changing my pc for a macbook - but am I right in thinking from the posts I've read that I'm just opening myself to a lot of grief when it comes to uploads and I'd be better sticking with a PC laptop?

Thanks in advance for any help

And long may the MDCF continue!!

Badkat

If it were me, I'd be asking am I going to stay with Hi MD for the next ?? years. If you are going to be in it for a while yet, maybe a PC is a better bet-though I run MAC for everything but music downloads ( I record with Logic Pro and use garageband for demos). In the back ( or maybe even the front ) of my mind, I figure a suitable (HiMd sound and easy to use) PMP will come along and I may make the switch. For what you describe, you COULD go mac and use the same programs I use and it would be a lot easier, then you have to consider the back catalogue you have acquired of recordings you've already made.

In the end its back to where I started. How long are you going to be using the HiMD platform?

Hi everyone,

well, as a frequent reader of the forums (and thank you for all the tips and help you've given me over the last few years!) - I think this is the first time I've posted!

At the moment I've got an MZ-NH900 which I use purely for recording live gigs- usually in Hi-SP. (although I do have BOXES of archive gigs in SP-but I realise it's the RH-1 I'm going to have to get to upload these via usb in the future!). Anyway- I've been interested to read re the Mac/md problems - as at the moment I'm also considering changing my pc for a macbook - but am I right in thinking from the posts I've read that I'm just opening myself to a lot of grief when it comes to uploads and I'd be better sticking with a PC laptop?

Badkat

Dude I was a Windows guy for a long time , were talking Win95/3.0 here , XP was the main usage , I am qualified for repair of Windows systems .

Even with that I will say get the Mac , And use MD Transfer 2.0 not the prog on the CD that come with the MD , download 2.0

The list of freeware for windows far outweighs what is available for Mac , but , the One or two main ones that are available (Audacity)

Are good enough it doesnt matter .

The audio qulaity , the Mac produces when you get to know what your doing is on the money , Mac rules for audio and video.

For games ,...Windows .

The Macbook doesnt have a seperate video card it uses Shared System memory( I have both the Pro , Core2Duo , and the first Gen Macbook CoreDuo) as lonn as your not doing Heavy video stuff the Macbook will do you good .

The new Macbooks are nice , they have just been updated Core2Duo processors, and more memory with a better Graphics accelerator.

You will not need any Anti Virus software , just put it in stealth mode in the system settings

Spyware ? just delete the cookies.

Get the Mac ,just my two cents

Yep, + Mac is much less evolutive & less customizable...

Well, I use SonicStage 4.3 and Simple Burner 2.0 on my Macbook Pro. How? Parallels Desktop (build 3188) or Boot Camp, although Parallels works great!

Cheers

EDIT: I can do anything with a Mac, including testing Vista, as that's part of my job...

Edited by e1ghtyf1ve

Well, I use SonicStage 4.3 and Simple Burner 2.0 on my Macbook Pro. How? Parallels Desktop (build 3188) or Boot Camp, although Parallels works great!

Cheers

EDIT: I can do anything with a Mac, including testing Vista, as that's part of my job...

That seems to be good news. Can Simple Burner be used to d/l SP tracks directly from a CD in the Mac's drive? LP2/4? I like the look of the Parallels d/t and the price is not exorbitant. And it looks like it'd run on my Mac Mini Intel.

That seems to be good news. Can Simple Burner be used to d/l SP tracks directly from a CD in the Mac's drive? LP2/4? I like the look of the Parallels d/t and the price is not exorbitant. And it looks like it'd run on my Mac Mini Intel.

Simple burner doesn't do SP at all... :(

Should do all the other formats (LP2/LP4/Hi-LP/Hi-SP/PCM) though.

Edited by raintheory

As with Windows XP (Simple Burner won't install as is on Vista btw), you can only use LP2/LP4, not SP. What I end up doing on my Macbook Pro is use SonicStage 4.3 to import the CD using ATRAC Advanced Lossless, and then do the usual SP transfer to a standard MD in my RH1/M200. All via a very speedy USB 2.0 bus. Painless, really - and it sounds awesome, as expected.

If you like to stick with HiMD, just put in a HiMD disk, and you can use Simple Burner to do a direct CD-MD transfer in Hi-LP, Hi-SP, or PCM format. Your choice.

Cheers

EDIT: Just saw raintheory's response. D'oh! :sorry:

Edited by e1ghtyf1ve

Simple burner doesn't do SP at all... :(

Should do all the other formats (LP2/LP4/Hi-LP/Hi-SP/PCM) though.

The lack of ability to do SP might not be a killer for me. If it would save me a LOT of time to make full LP2/4 MDs this way (as opposed to 4x copy on my MXD-D400), then it could work for me. I wonder how much time and effort it would actually save, though. Thanks for the response.

The lack of ability to do SP might not be a killer for me. If it would save me a LOT of time to make full LP2/4 MDs this way (as opposed to 4x copy on my MXD-D400), then it could work for me. I wonder how much time and effort it would actually save, though. Thanks for the response.

I just noticed that you're using a Mac Mini (gotta learn to read :scratchhead: ) - virtual machines such as Parallels need huge amounts of RAM, i.e. 2GB minimum. Just a heads-up.

I just noticed that you're using a Mac Mini (gotta learn to read :scratchhead: ) - virtual machines such as Parallels need huge amounts of RAM, i.e. 2GB minimum. Just a heads-up.

Thanks! I did check the U/G for Parallels on a Mac, and it recommends 1GB, even for the Core Solo Mini (mine). I think mine currently has 512kb, but it can be upgraded to the 2GB you suggest. If I did use this particular machine for MD, it would be pretty much dedicated to that task. Our two PPCs (mini, eMac) take care of everything else.

Now if I had a MacPro like yours... :-)

Edited by bluecrab

Hi everyone,

Badkat

Thanks guys for all your advice re my query - hmmmm, still deliberating which way to go! Have a feeling the fact i've got an NH-900 +so many archive gigs might sway me to stick with a pc laptop....but then I've been reading your posts about SS 4.3 and Vista and getting a little worried!!!

At the moment i'm using SS 3.3 on windows ME ( I kind of never got round to XP on this system!) and it's been working very happily for me ( as I said - I only use my MD for live gig recording + uploading of gigs, no downloading etc), and I generally use CD Wave Editor (or Audacity) and occasionally Hi-md renderer if needed - so am I going to run into problems if the laptop I get has Vista on it...or am I best hunting around for XP and staying with the software I know?

Thanks again in advance...wasn't sure if this should be in Software!!

Badkat

Making your RH900 work with a Mac is always going to be a workaround. It was only made to work with Windows.

On your current PC, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I don't think it would hurt you to upgrade to 3.4, but if 3.3 also allows you to upload the same track more than once--and I think it does--you could stick with it.

Personally, I'm not a computer expert but I am staying with XP for as long as my hardware is supported. (That's the problem with buying new computers--sometimes the drivers for video card, mouse, etc., are only written for the latest OS.)

Vista is a resource hog, probably for all those cutesy 3D icons and animations. Vista also has a lot of little security byways--Trusted Path--that prevent you from doing what you want with the computer that you own. And when Vista first appeared, it broke a lot of software that people were very happily using, like SonicStage.

You can still find computers now in stock with XP Pro installed rather than Vista, so if you are looking for a new computer, you might even be able to save some money by getting XP. On a new XP computer, I'd recommend SonicStage 3.4 or 4.2, both of which have been comparatively trouble-free for most users. Look in Downloads or search these forums for "installer" and the version of your choice and you should find some links.